Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

The Age Old Question....

Free Weights or Machine Weights:

Which do you prefer and why?
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

vCash
    Free weights only if I have a spotter, but I enjoy machines because its more adjustable and you can go allo ut and not have to worry about not being able to get the weight up because you can just let it go as opposed to free weights, but I think taht as long as you have a spotter free weights can do more for you, but I normally go to the gym alone cuz my friends don't go...so machines

Soon...

vCash
    I generally do machine weights as I workout at home with no spotter. That said, I do rock the free weights with some stuff.

vCash
    Free weight 100%. Using a machine means that you are on a "track" so to speak. I remember someone making a long post about the negatives on using the smith machine, and its basically along those lines. You don't have the range of motion when using a machine and are limiting other muscles that help you get the weight up.

Credit--- Phins1983

vCash
    I agree with Canada26,

With Machine weights, there is only one motion you can do, there is no deviating from that motion.

With free weights, its up to you to maintain proper form which requires the assistance of secondary muscles to help out thus, better results.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stamina View Post
    I agree with Canada26,

With Machine weights, there is only one motion you can do, there is no deviating from that motion.

With free weights, its up to you to maintain proper form which requires the assistance of secondary muscles to help out thus, better results.
    Agreed. There are limitations to any weight machine in that they don't benefit the muscles used to stabilize while lifting. That said, there's some things that are simply a bit sketchy to do without a partner.

vCash
    Yeah, free weights all the way. Sometimes I use the machines at the end of a workout to get in a good final burn because you can sit there and very quickly go up and down in weight without having to adjust plates/bells.

If you do bench on a machine for a while and get strong using the machine, then decide to switch over to free weights, your arms will be shaking like crazy when you first pick up the weight because you haven't been training all the smaller muscles that are used to balance the weight.

vCash
    Free Weights for sure. If anything i'll throw in some cables, but i hardly ever touch a machine.
    COME VISIT THE PSD FITNESS FORUM!!![/B][/CENTER]

vCash
    Unfortunately, depending on your gym, you may not have access to specific things and may have to rely on the machines.

vCash
    Push ups
    Pull ups/Chins
    Dips...

but

Nothing wrong with leg press. And the thigh abductor/adductor machine can be really good for rehabilitation.
    it's unrealistic to expect people who currently do workout, to just enter a gym and start squatting, deadlifting, etc etc. The machines seem much less intimidating, which is why so many people stick to them. And something is better than nothing...

People who normally do machines are on Exercise Autopilot
    They do the same thing each and every time you exercise. Same machines, same pace, same duration. Whilethe routine sure feels comfortable, the results have long since halted.
    A plateau occurs when your body adapts to your routine and weight loss stops.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyland View Post
    The machines seem much less intimidating, which is why so many people stick to them. And something is better than nothing...
    True. When I first started, I was doing about 90% of my workout on machines. Now I do 90% with free weights.

vCash
    Free Weights.

Chicago Bears #23
    Kyle "Cheetah" Fuller

vCash
    Machines can favor your dominant side way too easily too.

I prefer free weights, but some exercises have to be done on machines. I use cables quite a bit, but whatever.

vCash
    Both.

It really depends on how my body responds to different things. I usually mix machines and free weights into all of my work outs.

I feel like I'm isolating the muscle a lot more if I use a machine as opposed to free weights sometimes: like with machine preacher curls and lateral delt raises.

I like to use a little bit of everything in my work outs from free weights, to cables, and machines.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Machines can favor your dominant side way too easily too.

I prefer free weights, but some exercises have to be done on machines. I use cables quite a bit, but whatever.
    This is VERY true. Coming off surgery my left arm was over twice as strong as my right in many regards. And anything but free weights seemed to really hide how weak it had gotten.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast