Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    20,369

    starting strength/mark rippetoe

    anyone ever read this, use rippetoe's program, ect

    I am reading it now. Its good but not a recommended read cause i feel like im in a bio class. Anyway, i decided it might be a good idea for me b/c i plateau badly and figured maybe really learning the basics right and building up would help. Anyway, just curious if anyone ever followed this guy and if you have any advice. thanks as always.
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    20,533
    No I never have.

    Honestly if you want to get bigger & stronger just eat more (I always tell people "eat a lot of lean" ) and lift like beast (lower rep) and over work those muscles!

    You will notice that when lifting heavy your joints and tendons will start to ache

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    anyone ever read this, use rippetoe's program, ect

    I am reading it now. Its good but not a recommended read cause i feel like im in a bio class. Anyway, i decided it might be a good idea for me b/c i plateau badly and figured maybe really learning the basics right and building up would help. Anyway, just curious if anyone ever followed this guy and if you have any advice. thanks as always.
    what is your goal?

    ss is good for beginners who want to build a solid strength foundation. but to progress you're going to need to eat a lot (ie powerlifting style) and that might cause you to gain unnecessary fat in the process.

    so unless you're already at the sub 10-12% bf i wouldn't recommend it, if your goal is to build muscle/aesthetics.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    20,369
    Quote Originally Posted by Parasyte View Post
    what is your goal?

    ss is good for beginners who want to build a solid strength foundation. but to progress you're going to need to eat a lot (ie powerlifting style) and that might cause you to gain unnecessary fat in the process.

    so unless you're already at the sub 10-12% bf i wouldn't recommend it, if your goal is to build muscle/aesthetics.
    my goal is to be stronger. I'm 37 and only really starting lifting legit a couple years ago. I'm 5'10 and 170 pounds right now with little fat on me. I max 245 on bench and have been their or around their forever. i have neglected my legs. I do them but light. I've excused my telling myself i still do legs plus i do yoga and run.
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    14,106
    I've had good results in the past getting through plateaus by doing a "week" (or however long ur split is) of drop sets. I do the same exact exercises, just 3 sets each, each set is a drop set (I drop twice, so a total of 3 diff weights per set).

    Also if ur looking/willing to go the supplement route, I started incorporating bcaa's, 1 scoop before one scoop after workout (so 2 per day) and I feel like they actually do make a difference. Its weird cuz my protein shake already has bcaa's in it, but I don't know, somehow someway, it actually does seem to make a diff for me.

    You could also try ditching the bench for 6-8 weeks and just do dumbbell press, then jump back onto bench, see if it made a diff.
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    20,533
    Never ever ever ever ditch the barbell bench press for dumbbells!

    That's a crime! Might as well go crossfiting then..

    Honestly tho don't ditch it. Just eat more, push yourself harder, switch to a 5x5 and you will break through any plateau.

    It might not work for you but it works for me and I'm stronger than ever

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    14,106
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 88 View Post
    Never ever ever ever ditch the barbell bench press for dumbbells!

    That's a crime! Might as well go crossfiting then..

    Honestly tho don't ditch it. Just eat more, push yourself harder, switch to a 5x5 and you will break through any plateau.

    It might not work for you but it works for me and I'm stronger than ever
    really? I actually prefer dumbbells over barbell, I feel like it shreds my muscle better.
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    20,533
    Hell to the no! You get better form, balance and muscle strength with the barbell lift over the dumbbells

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    14,106
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 88 View Post
    Hell to the no! You get better form, balance and muscle strength with the barbell lift over the dumbbells
    really? def seems to hit me diff.

    or maybe I kinda got turned off by bench cuz I was making no progress at a point there, for like almost a year. I jumped to dumbbells n I'm making progress, maybe thats why I like it more
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    20,369
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    really? def seems to hit me diff.

    or maybe I kinda got turned off by bench cuz I was making no progress at a point there, for like almost a year. I jumped to dumbbells n I'm making progress, maybe thats why I like it more

    you do a flat dumbbell press instead of bench? I do always do incline, sometimes decline, flat bench seems like it would be a pain. Does someone always have to hand you the weights?
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    14,333
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    really? I actually prefer dumbbells over barbell, I feel like it shreds my muscle better.
    yea same here. I rarely bench over the last year or so. Fee like I progressed better with the DB's

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    20,533
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    really? def seems to hit me diff.

    or maybe I kinda got turned off by bench cuz I was making no progress at a point there, for like almost a year. I jumped to dumbbells n I'm making progress, maybe thats why I like it more
    That's probably why. It's easy to plateau with flat bench. There's a reason mass monsters sick to barbell.

    Not saying you can't or shouldn't hit dumbbells but maybe hit them after barbell at the end of your workout

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    14,106
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    you do a flat dumbbell press instead of bench? I do always do incline, sometimes decline, flat bench seems like it would be a pain. Does someone always have to hand you the weights?
    Basically I'll do incline and flat, either barbell or dumbbell, I go back n forth between the two.

    I don't need the weights handed, I basically sit and have the dumbbells on my knees and I just kinda kick up my legs when I lay back in one motion
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    14,106
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 88 View Post
    That's probably why. It's easy to plateau with flat bench. There's a reason mass monsters sick to barbell.

    Not saying you can't or shouldn't hit dumbbells but maybe hit them after barbell at the end of your workout
    yea, I might do that. At this point I do either or, but before at one point I would do one then the other in the same day. Should prob go back to that.
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    20,369
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Basically I'll do incline and flat, either barbell or dumbbell, I go back n forth between the two.

    I don't need the weights handed, I basically sit and have the dumbbells on my knees and I just kinda kick up my legs when I lay back in one motion
    yeah i do that on incline seems like it would get weird when going heavy on flat
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •