Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Wild Trade Kim Johnsson & Nick Leddy for Cam Barker

Free agent to be (D Kim Johnsson) and the rights to 2009 first round pick (D Nick Leddy) were traded to the Chicago Blackhawks for (D Cam Barker).

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/84250202.html

Thank God for the Johnsson part, I couldn't stand watching him play. Leddy has struggled with the Gophers this year. Barker is young and has shown a lot of promise with 40 points in 68 games last season. Barker should see the ice against the Canucks on Sunday.

vCash
    I love that we were able to dump Johnsson too. i like this deal for us even though a lot of people believe Chicago fleeced us. I think barker is a real good defense men who will really help out our PP and gives us more size on the blue line. I am in agreement with most people that leffy should't have been included in that deal. Johnsson straight up wouldn't have gotten him but Chicago was in a position were they had to trade him and we could've given them a worse prospect. Even though leddy has struggled at the U he's only a freshmen and he has a lot of room to grow but then again with Scandella, Cuma, and Noreau in the system we can afford to lose one of them. i dont get why we wouldn't have made a move for a forward though...
    ]”Goaltending is a normal job, sure. How would you like it in your job if every time you made a small mistake, a red light went on over your desk and 15,000 people stood up and yelled at you.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighter97 View Post
    I love that we were able to dump Johnsson too. i like this deal for us even though a lot of people believe Chicago fleeced us. I think barker is a real good defense men who will really help out our PP and gives us more size on the blue line. I am in agreement with most people that leffy should't have been included in that deal. Johnsson straight up wouldn't have gotten him but Chicago was in a position were they had to trade him and we could've given them a worse prospect. Even though leddy has struggled at the U he's only a freshmen and he has a lot of room to grow but then again with Scandella, Cuma, and Noreau in the system we can afford to lose one of them. i dont get why we wouldn't have made a move for a forward though...
    There's still time until the trade deadline to address the forward position. If no proper deals present themselves I would prefer Fletcher not pull the trigger, however. There will be more options in FA to explore that would not involve us further skimming off our young talent.

I really like this deal. We have plenty of depth at D in our system right now. Leddy was expendable, and the way he's playing at the U (like 4 points in 20 games, or something), I'm surprised we were able to receive such value in return.

vCash
    I agree with you. We can't try to force anything and don't get me wrong i like the addition of barker a lot, but i guess i just didn't see it coming. I figured if we were going to make a big move we would have traded for a forward, but like you said there is still time. I'm just really curious as to how we will approach the deadline. you can't really read into the Johnsson deal too much because we got a player that will help us now. What will we do with Brunette, Nolan, Zidlicky, Belanger, Kobasew?
    ]”Goaltending is a normal job, sure. How would you like it in your job if every time you made a small mistake, a red light went on over your desk and 15,000 people stood up and yelled at you.”

vCash
    I agree with you. We can't try to force anything and don't get me wrong i like the addition of barker a lot, but i guess i just didn't see it coming. I figured if we were going to make a big move we would have traded for a forward, but like you said there is still time. I'm just really curious as to how we will approach the deadline. you can't really read into the Johnsson deal too much because we got a player that will help us now. What will we do with Brunette, Nolan, Zidlicky, Belanger, Kobasew?
    Reports are the Wild are currently trying to resign Zidlicky before the deadline. I doubt we trade Brunette however. We still have him signed for next season relatively cheap, and he's pretty integral to our PP. Not unless it's a deal involving a talented scoring forward do we make that trade.

vCash
    yes i have heard the rumors about zidlicky but he wants a long term deal and we dont want to give a guy in his early 30's a long term deal. And i bring up brunette because he is a veteran who produces at around a 2nd line clip for most teams and if fletcher decides we are not a playoff contender those veterans could be moved.

vCash
    yes i have heard the rumors about zidlicky but he wants a long term deal and we dont want to give a guy in his early 30's a long term deal. And i bring up brunette because he is a veteran who produces at around a 2nd line clip for most teams and if fletcher decides we are not a playoff contender those veterans could be moved.
    If we aren't in contention next season I see Brunette getting shipped, not this season. He could be moved of course, as any player can, but I doubt it.

The Wild really want Zidlicky back. Yes he wants a long term deal, however he has stated numerous times he wants to stay. When both parties are on the same page like that it's usually only a matter of time before a compromise is agreed upon. Reports are they really aren't that far off. Expect to see something done right after the Olympics.

vCash
    yea i hope we can retain Zidlicky. He is a very solid d man with good offensive production. As far as brunette i like having him but not as a first line player. I think the wild need to make an effort to put a true scoring winger alongside koivu. Brunette is solid but he is old, slow and a passer which doesnt help koivu because koivu is a pass first player. Also miettnen is a checking winger on most teams and doesn't produce enough offensively. With our new system we need a true first line and what we have now isn't cutting it.

vCash
    yea i hope we can retain Zidlicky. He is a very solid d man with good offensive production. As far as brunette i like having him but not as a first line player. I think the wild need to make an effort to put a true scoring winger alongside koivu. Brunette is solid but he is old, slow and a passer which doesnt help koivu because koivu is a pass first player. Also miettnen is a checking winger on most teams and doesn't produce enough offensively. With our new system we need a true first line and what we have now isn't cutting it.
    I agree completely. If we can make a trade involving Brunette for a talented scoring forward, I would be all over that. I would love to keep Brunette, however. If we could sign a forward in the offseason and place Brunny on the second line, that would be ideal.
    Last edited by Wisdom Listens; 02-13-2010 at 04:00 PM.

vCash
    Yes exactly. I think our D is pretty much set and if we can add that scoring piece this deadline the playoff's aren't unrealistic. i think harding's value has gone up quite a bit and he would be a big part of a potential deal that wouldn't hurt our current roster.

vCash
    Yes exactly. I think our D is pretty much set and if we can add that scoring piece this deadline the playoff's aren't unrealistic. i think harding's value has gone up quite a bit and he would be a big part of a potential deal that wouldn't hurt our current roster.
    With the way Khudobin has looked in limited duty, I would be comfortable trading Harding. He would bring a kings ransom in return if we can find a team desperate for goaltending.

vCash
    yes he would. the only problem is there are so goalies available. You have Turco, Biron, Roloson, Niettimaky, Voukon that drives down harding's value

vCash
    I dont like the deal. We wasted a first round pick. However, it does show that we are buyers, not sellers, thus the FO is hopeful we will get into the playoffs...I think Cam is a great talent, and will continue to improve, but why did we have to throw letty in the deal?

vCash
    hopefully Barker will turn beast like Latendresse did with a change of scenery. Another thing the Wild have shown me with their recent trades is that the new regime values size. Both the Latendresse trade, and the Barker trade have made this team bigger and more physical.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleJesus View Post
    I dont like the deal. We wasted a first round pick. However, it does show that we are buyers, not sellers, thus the FO is hopeful we will get into the playoffs...I think Cam is a great talent, and will continue to improve, but why did we have to throw letty in the deal?
    I would trade Leddy straight up for Barker at this point. That's essentially what we did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast