Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Eye Black Messages banned, and more...

Eye black with messages and wedge blocks will be banned from college football this fall, and taunting in the field of play will start costing teams points in 2011.

On Thursday, the NCAA's playing rules oversight panel approved the three rules changes.

The eye black trend grew in popularity because of Heisman Trophy winners Reggie Bush and Tim Tebow.

Bush wrote "619" on his eye-black patches, in reference to the area code for his hometown near San Diego, and Tebow cited Bible passages, such as "John 3:16."

One year after the NFL banned wedge blocking on kickoffs because of safety concerns, the NCAA followed the lead. The new rule says that when the team receiving a kickoff has more than two players standing within 2 yards of one another, shoulder to shoulder, it will be assessed a 15-yard penalty -- even if there is no contact between the teams.

The reason: NCAA studies have shown that 20 percent of all injuries occurring on kickoffs result in concussions.

"Everybody is looking to make sure we have a safe environment for the players," said Grant Teaff, executive director of the American Football Coaches Association. "On kickoffs, you have a lot of steam on both sides and you usually have what is called a 'wedge buster.' This will eliminate some of that."

The hope is it will reduce concussions, an issue that has received greater attention in the past year.

The NCAA deemed it so important that it made a rare rules change in an off-year of the normal two-year process.

But it's the taunting rule that likely will create the biggest buzz.

Currently, players who are penalized for taunting on their way to the end zone draw a 15-yard penalty on the extra point attempt, 2-point conversion attempt or the ensuing kickoff.

Beginning in 2011, live-ball penalties will be assessed from the spot of the foul and eliminate the score. Examples include players finishing touchdown runs by high-stepping into the end zone or pointing the ball toward an opponent.

Celebration penalties following a score will continue to be assessed on conversion attempts or the ensuing kickoff.

"I think one of the reasons it's been looked at is that when a penalty occurs on the field, it's normally taken from the spot," Teaff said. "This was the only occurrence that it wasn't taken from the spot, so they wanted to change that."

Taunting has caused an annual debate among college football players, coaches and fans, and last season's big controversy stemmed from Georgia receiver A.J. Green receiving a 15-year personal foul penalty after he caught a go-ahead touchdown pass late in a game against LSU.

The yardage from the penalty was assessed on the kickoff and helped LSU get into position to drive for the winning score. Southeastern Conference officials said later that there was no video evidence to support the flag on Green.

"The rules committee voted unanimously on this. Let's keep the lid on sportsmanship and prevent that type of demeaning," said Dave Parry, the NCAA's national coordinator of college football officiating. "I recall a play a few years ago where a player turned around at the 10 and teased the opponent with the ball. In the past this would be a penalty assessed on the extra point or kickoffs. Now, it's no touchdown."

Parry said the decision to implement the rule in 2011 gives players and coaches ample advance warning.

"This gives the players a year's notice that we're going to be tougher on sportsmanship. Last year it was mentioned that this could become a possibility," Parry said.

He also predicted the penalty would be called "very rarely."

"If it's close to diving into the end zone, most likely it would be ruled that the act ended while in the end zone. We'll be lenient," Parry said. "It's really if it's really bad, for example, if a guy flips the bird at the 10 or high-steps backwards into the end zone or starts a forward roll at the 3-yard line."
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5092774

The eye-black ban is stupid, but it's not a huge deal, and I can somewhat understand the wedge blocks, but the spot-foul celebration penalties are absolutely ****ing ridiculous...I have a feeling that many teams are going to get screwed by this rule in the future.

vCash
    I like the rules changes, especially the taunting rule. It is about time these guys started to act like college students instead of 7 year olds on the field. Now I know that many of them have the mentality of a 7 year old, so they are just going to have to learn to control their emotions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    I like the rules changes, especially the taunting rule. It is about time these guys started to act like college students instead of 7 year olds on the field. Now I know that many of them have the mentality of a 7 year old, so they are just going to have to learn to control their emotions.
    dude it's football it's an emotional game. i bet you're the same type of guy that says "look at those guys they are playing like they don't care". they are trying to take away these guys' individuality and turn them into robots. and have you ever been to college, some college people are the dumbest most immature people on earth. these new rules are effed up except the wedge block ban that makes sense but the other two are made by people with sticks up their ***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    The problem I have is that it puts more potential in the refs hands to dictate the game. I had no problem with the way they had it before, assessing the penalty on the penalty, but now they take away the touchdown if the celebration is before crossing the goaline.

Well, that sounds great to encourage sportsmanship, but one of the referees on ESPN's College Football Live was saying that a few specific plays they showed over an over (Golden Tate holding the ball out before crossing and Mark Ingram slowing down/high stepping into the endzone-two plays that didn't have any penalties at the time) would be called and given 15 yard penalties at the spot of the foul.

I say both are absurd, especially Tate's. It looks like he was holding the ball out, maybe in showboat fashion, but you can't say that he was truly doing that. It could have been him holding the ball out to cross the goaline, something players do all the time. A 15 yard penalty would be ridiculous in something that would gain minimal attention during the game. Ingram's was more showboating, but still very harmless to the play and in now way was showing up the other team.

Listen, I'm all for cleaning up the stupid behavior of players, but there is very little need to do this. There are no clear problems going on for a change to be needed. IMO, penalties should be assessed for sportsmanship when the player is purposely trying to gain attention and showing up the other team. Now that we're taking away touchddown.

My problem is that something that Golden Tate did would result in a worse penalty than say Georgia storming the field after a touchdown against Florida because the touchdown was before, as opposed to after-where the penatly would be assessed on the kickoff. Clearly, the Georgia team penalty is worse, but since it was after they won't take it back. So moral of the story, if you want to celebrate do it after the touchdown, which is just stupid.
    "Hitting is better than sex." Reggie Jackson

“The only reason I don't like playing in the World Series is I can't watch myself play." Reggie Jackson

vCash
    I absolutely hate the taunting rule. It's open to so much speculation and gives way to much power to the refs. There isn't a hard rule for taunting, you can't call that consistently, therefor, it shouldn't be a rule at all.
    Matthew Stafford QB: Detroit Lions
    111.2 QB Rating | 79/118 66.9% | 977 Yards | 9 TDs-2 INTs

vCash
    Taunting rule is just horrific. Penalize them with yardage, not goddamn points. Eye black rule eh I could care less, either way it doesn't affect the game unlike this ridiculous taunting rule.

vCash
    Football is quickly becoming the most boring sport in the world to watch

vCash
    Love the rules especially the taunting rule.
    Free Doug

vCash
    Taunting rule is stupid.
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

vCash
    All the new rules are pretty horrid.
    trying way too hard to be politically correct and G rated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by poodski View Post
    Love the rules especially the taunting rule.
    Why? I never saw CFB having a problem with taunting, and thought the rules were solid in assessing a penalty on the kickoff. Last years UGA and LSU game (not sure if it was LSU) showed that the penalty can hurt you.

BTW I'm fine with the eyeblack rule as the entire idea is getting pretty dumb, so good riddance.
    "Hitting is better than sex." Reggie Jackson

“The only reason I don't like playing in the World Series is I can't watch myself play." Reggie Jackson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. October View Post
    Why? I never saw CFB having a problem with taunting, and thought the rules were solid in assessing a penalty on the kickoff. Last years UGA and LSU game (not sure if it was LSU) showed that the penalty can hurt you.

BTW I'm fine with the eyeblack rule as the entire idea is getting pretty dumb, so good riddance.
    Ever seen Miami in the 90's?

You score you hand the ball to the ref, you high five your teammates. You play again. Thats how football should be played.
    Free Doug

vCash
    I hate the taunting rule. I'd hate to see a team lose a game because of a taunting call. The rule seems awfully subjective. Players get emotional during games and you shouldn't be penalized for it. Sports are supposed to be entertaining and celebrations are part of that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by poodski View Post
    Ever seen Miami in the 90's?

You score you hand the ball to the ref, you high five your teammates. You play again. Thats how football should be played.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BullsFan_1 View Post
    We Ballin boy! You can never take the swagga out of da u!
    "You don't choose to be a Liverpool fan. You get chosen."
    Kenny Dalglish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast