Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

FOX on Conan O'Brien: Only if it's profitable

Conan O'Brien could very well end up on FOX by the fall -- provided the network can show its corporate bosses that a late-night show would make money.

So sayeth Rupert Murdoch, chairman and CEO of FOX parent News Corp. On a conference call discussing the company's financial results Wednesday (Feb. 3), Murdoch said the network is giving a late-night show "a lot of thought and examination."

"Certainly if the program people can show us that we could do it, and be fairly confident of making a profit on it, we'd do it in a flash," Murdoch said.

The "if" there is a pretty sizable one, though. FOX affiliates run syndicated shows after their late local newscasts, and those tend to be moneymakers for the stations. They would have to sign off on any late-night franchise, about which Murdoch said, "I'm sure we'll have some difficult negotiations, but I'm speculating. We'll have to wait and see."

At any rate, a deal between FOX and the former "Tonight Show" host is a ways off. "I'm sure there have been some conversations [with O'Brien]," Chase Carey, News Corp.'s president and COO, said on the call, "but if you mean real negotiation, no."

O'Brien's departure from NBC stipulated that he couldn't host a show anywhere else until September.
    http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethe...rofitable.html

vCash
    do it

vCash
    I am all for it as long as Conan is back on the air. Is that terrible Wanda Sykes show canceled yet?

vCash
    I can't believe networks aren't drooling over Conan, shocking.

vCash
    Well, it makes sense. He wasnt getting the ratings on NBC and that was only against Letterman (unless you count Monique and George Lopez).

If he signs with fox for an 11:30 show, he's going up with Leno and Letterman and Jimmy Kimmel at 12.

vCash
    So Fox will throw money at Wanda Sykes but then say they will bring Conan in, "only if it's profitable."

Sounds like some ******** to me. If Conan wants to go to Fox, he is going to FOX...end of story.

vCash
    He'll probably go to FOX but I think he should go to ABC and form a nice 1/2 punch with Kimmel.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KHinrich12 View Post
    He'll probably go to FOX but I think he should go to ABC and form a nice 1/2 punch with Kimmel.
    I would like that too. Kimmel's severely underrated...a lineup of him and Coco would be great.

vCash
    Would a late night show started with someone very funny be popular on FOX had it started right now? No.

Would a late night show staring Conan be popular on FOX? **** yes. Whether Conan does a good job or not he is GUARAN-****ING-TEED ratings for at least 6 months due to this scandal. Whether people feel sorry for him or whether they just miss him for the 8+ months he will be off the air or whether its just still buzz from the scandal and a return of Conan to late night he will get ratings and it will be profitable. If I were a CEO he would already have a job. I dont really care what channel I'm on.

vCash
    ^^just to add to that with more thoughts. ABC should not consider this at all unless they can do it without bumping Kimmel. After all the flack that NBC is getting after possibly bumping Conan and Fallon to give Jay half an hour and eventually losing Conan and giving Jay the full hour, NBC would get killed if it bumped Kimmel and the late night war advantage would go back to Leno and ABC.

At the same time CBS doesnt have room unless they fire Craig Ferguson and Conan takes the 12:35 spot back which wont happen because that would be bad press for Conan and for them as well.

This really is FOX's chance to get into the late night race with a head start and possibly a lead in the ratings. I dont know if FOX has anything other than infomercials in that spot right now but I know they have Wanda Sykes and like Spike Feresten on Saturday night or something like that. FOX should be picking him up ASAP.

vCash
    What they did to Conan was ridiculous.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by J4KOP99 View Post
    So Fox will throw money at Wanda Sykes but then say they will bring Conan in, "only if it's profitable."

Sounds like some ******** to me. If Conan wants to go to Fox, he is going to FOX...end of story.
    Yup, because what it costs to put Wanda Sykes' low budget talkshow on once a week in a weak timeslot is obviously comparable to what it would cost to ink Conan, produce a show every weekday and bump whatever each network affiliate had been showing in that timeslot...Makes sense.

vCash
    I would love if HBO (or similar channel) looked into this. 1 hour comedy show identical to what he did on NBC.

That way anything goes. Conan and his writers come up with some hilarious/ridiculous skits. Imagine what they can do without any(nearly any) restrictions.

vCash
    The Max Weinberg/LaBamba jokes on HBO would be even more hilarious.

vCash
    Has HBO ever had a 'late night' show before? I really don't know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast