Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Phaneuf Traded

vCash

Phaneuf Traded

For apparantly Stajan and Ian White

vCash
    As a flyers fan I love it cuz we play you guys tomorrow...but I would be pissed if I was a Flames fan.
    FLYERS
    REDSKINS
    REDS
    SUNS

vCash
    Hagman, Stajan, White, Mayars

for

Phanuef, Sjostrom, Aulie

....I'm on the fence with this trade. While I'm happy to see Phanuef go, he was our number one chip to get a legit center to play with Iggy, not a bunch of depth players. I like Hagman, but I've never liked Stajan or Mayars. White should be good enough as long as he isn't resigned. But, to cough up Aulie, too, is mindboggling. He's like 6'6 and a decent skater, basically a younger, better version of Pardy.

I don't know if it's my born instinct to hate Toronto because I'm a western boy, but I really was expecting more, and still am expecting more, from Sutts. The Leafs, IMO, were awful trading partners.

Boyd Backlund Iginla
    Hagman Jokinen Bourque
    Glencross Langkow Nystrom
    Mcgratton Stajan Prust/Mayers

Boumeester Giordano
    Regher White
    Sarich Pardy

I mean it adds a lot of depth.... but I guess we'll have to see it play out, and hopefully Sutts has got something else grilling.

vCash
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=308469

Two teams in dire need of a shakeup have done just that.

The Calgary Flames have traded defenceman Dion Phaneuf, forward Fredrik Sjostrom, and prospect defenceman Keith Aulie to the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for forwards Matt Stajan, Niklas Hagman, Jamal Mayers and defenceman Ian White.

The Maple Leafs and Flames have been working on the components of this blockbuster for a week to ten days, but sources say the details of the deal didn't fall into place until late last night.

"[Phaneuf] is a warrior. He's got a cannon for a shot," explained Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke on Sunday. "He plays the game hard and I want players who play the game hard because they're hard to play against."

The former all-star defenceman was emotional when he told reporters that he was shocked to hear of the trade, but said he was also excited about playing in the biggest hockey market in the world.

vCash
    flames are ****ed maybe not now but in the long run phaneuf is the real deal and the players that the flames got are 2 spare parts (stajan, mayers) a good 2nd line forward (hagman) a third line d man (white)
    not to mention the potential behind aulie the 6,6 defenceman hate to be a flames fan right now

vCash
    Damn it, he was my favorite Flames player.....
    "You don't choose to be a Liverpool fan. You get chosen."
    Kenny Dalglish

vCash
    Very bad deal for Calgary...

vCash
    I think you guys are out of your minds...

Are you ignoring the fact that the Flames are struggling and are in jeopardy of missing the playoffs??

Stajan is having as good of a year as Jokinen and better than Langkow's season.

Hagman will add some scoring.

Mayers is basically a body in this trade.

On paper Phaneuf and White are statistically pretty similar only white makes much less and is a UFA. Not to mention he is a pretty good player.

I don't get it.. this will add some offense and in my opinion help Calgary make the playoffs.

The Flames are 22nd in Goals per game and 7th in Goals Against per game. They had to do something and Phaneuf has not lived up to the contract this season. I do not see how this trade does not help Calgary.
    Last edited by AddisonStation; 02-01-2010 at 12:40 AM.
    Mitch Hedberg Quote of the Month
    Every time I walk by a spy shop I think, I need to put some surveillance on somebody. Rick's been acting fishy. I need to buy a little camera. I need to buy a safe that looks like a Coca-Cola can. Or better yet, a safe that looks like a Spray and Wash can. That would create better situations. 'Hey Mitch, can I use the Spray and Wash?' 'Yeah, if you want to spray your shirt…with documents!'

vCash
    Phaneuf is traded and only 7 posts - what gives?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ah nuts View Post
    Phaneuf is traded and only 7 posts - what gives?
    No Flames fan is surprised that's why. No Flames in the right mind likes Phanuef either.

Core players need to be on and off the ice role players. He sucked on the ice and was terrible off. It had to be done. Its too bad we never got the star center we covet for, but if this was the best Sutts could get, then we gotta deal with it.

vCash
    I would be devastated if I was a flames fan.

vCash
    this was a bad trade for you guys. we took prust and jokinen from you guys. i do think you got the better out of that trade though