Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Value of DT

vCash

Value of DT

No question in my mind that Wilfork is one of the top 3 players on the Patriots. However -- and this was something talked about on Sports Hub -- has the value of the DT changed, considering that: A) nobody plays on grass anymore, and B) it's a pass first league?

If it has, then is it wise to make VW one of the highest paid players on the team?

Personally, I wouldn't mind franchise-tagging him, then shipping him off for a solid pick/player.

vCash
    Giants had NO DT

Canty Hurt in and Out
    Bernard just Sucked
    Robbins Old/Hurt In and out
    Cofield Hurt In and Out
    Alford Hurt

The opponents offensive line didn't even have to worry about the DT and I think that was a reason the secondary got exposed so much, It greatly helps when they have to worry about the DT and then RE or LE sneaks in

I would be throwing a party if the giants got Vince, Giants would have so much money at DT if they got him

"Itís just basically a slap in my face and itís insulting to me to tell me Iím an okay player," said Wilfork, 28. "(The franchise tag) is decent money for most people out there. What I do, itís okay. I don't look at myself as an okay player. I want a long-term deal or I want to be free. Point blank."

Last edited by TheGiantYankee; 01-29-2010 at 08:27 PM.

vCash
    what does grass have to do with playing defensive tackle? and why would you want to trade a top 3 player on your team? that doesnt make any sense.

#24 Kobe "The Black Mamba" Bryant

vCash
    A good DT allows his DE's and LB's to be better.

vCash
    The value of DT is extremely underrated.
    Jordy Nelson 2014 Stats
    Receptions: 23 | Yards: 351 | TDs: 1 | Avg: 15.3

vCash
    If you don't have good players at DT then you can forget getting good production from your DEs and LBs. I think DT is one of the most underrated positions in football.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kArSoN RyDaH View Post
    what does grass have to do with playing defensive tackle? and why would you want to trade a top 3 player on your team? that doesnt make any sense.
    Yeah same here I was like ahhh, what? lol.

But I do think DT is the most underrated position. Which is why this draft is going to a very good one because there's Suh, G. McCoy, B. Price, D. Williams, T. Cody, M. Austin and a whole lot more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elements1985 View Post
    No question in my mind that Wilfork is one of the top 3 players on the Patriots. However -- and this was something talked about on Sports Hub -- has the value of the DT changed, considering that: A) nobody plays on grass anymore, and B) it's a pass first league?

If it has, then is it wise to make VW one of the highest paid players on the team?

Personally, I wouldn't mind franchise-tagging him, then shipping him off for a solid pick/player.
    WTF???????
    "I am going to tattoo Knicks right here on my heart" -Gallo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kArSoN RyDaH View Post
    I think the grass comment has to do with players being faster on turf where by nullifying the effect of slower DTs. Not that i necessarily agree with that.

I think the value of DTs are shown in that they are a big reason why the NFL has evolved into a pass first league. The ability of a DT duo to shut down a teams running game is key for a consistantly strong defense. Making a team one dimensional is almost like winning half the battle when it comes to football.
    If the above text has offended you, please PM me your address so that I may mail you a kleenex.

vCash
    With the evolution of the passing game, DTs have become less of run-stuffers and more pass-blocker engagers to free up DEs or LBs to get the sack. They are just as valuable, maybe even moreso than before, but their statistics are down so they're less recognized. Damn shame. They deserve it as much as the franchise quarterback, running back or receiver.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elements1985 View Post

If you really think that controlling the line of scrimmage isnt important in football then you dont know the game.

vCash
    Well according to the Redskins theirs is worth $100 million.

vCash
    It matters a ton in the 3-4 defense. You need guys on the line who can swallow up blockers and free up space for the line-backers.

vCash
    Maybe Al Davis will trade this year's #1 for Wilfork? Crazier things have happened...

vCash
    I feel like this kid played WR in HS.

You can't replace a good/great DT easily. And there's a reason why for the most part the best teams have a good/great DT (or two). I think this year is a bit of an oddity in that the two best teams (Colts and Saints) don't have dominant DTs...but that's because they don't need one because their air game is so good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast