Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ring91013144043 View Post

12 of their past 15 first overall draft picks have been for offense. So much for Manning not having a team. And what makes you say that competition today is better than Marino's or Montana's competition? Post=fail.

OK good 1.... 12-15 draft picks huh? im pretty sure the colts won the superbowl in 06 and that was DEFINTLY more than 12-15 picks ago
    and the competion is absolutley better than when marino played. the guys are faster stronger ang bigger than they were years ago. These guys are born and bred to play fotball nowadays from the time there in elemantary school there is so many camps and programs these guys go to that make them better players. Your post=fail.

vCash
    12 of their past 15 first overall draft picks have been for offense. So much for Manning not having a team. And what makes you say that competition today is better than Marino's or Montana's competition? Post=fail.
    10 of the Colts last 15 first round picks have been offensive players (Faulk, Harrison, Glenn, Manning, James, Wayne, Clark, Addai, Gonzalez, Brown).

10 of the Colts last 15 second round picks have been defensive players (Dedric Mathis, Peterson, Washington, Bashir, Tripplet, Doss, Sanders, Hayden, Jennings, Moala).

12 of the Colts last 15 third round picks have been defensive players (Berry, Macklin, Bird, Jefferson, Strickland, Gardner, Burns, Keiaho, Hughes, Pitcock, Wheeler, Powers).

10 of the Colts last 15 foruth round picks have been defensive players (McElroy, Montgomery, Miranda, Williams, Thorton, David, Pope, Giordano, Condren, Sessions).

Should I continue? The Colts draft more defensive player than offensive. The bold are the players no longer on the Colts. Your post = Failure
    Last edited by cardinals1226; 02-03-2010 at 05:43 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cardinals1226 View Post
    10 of the Colts last 15 first round picks have been offensive players (Faulk, Harrison, Glenn, Manning, James, Wayne, Clark, Addai, Gonzalez, Brown).

10 of the Colts last 15 second round picks have been defensive players (Dedric Mathis, Peterson, Washington, Bashir, Tripplet, Doss, Sanders, Hayden, Jennings, Moala).

12 of the Colts last 15 third round picks have been defensive players (Berry, Macklin, Bird, Jefferson, Strickland, Gardner, Burns, Keiaho, Hughes, Pitcock, Wheeler, Powers).

10 of the Colts last 15 foruth round picks have been defensive players (McElroy, Montgomery, Miranda, Williams, Thorton, David, Pope, Giordano, Condren, Sessions).

Should I continue? The Colts draft more defensive player than offensive. The bold are the players no longer on the Colts. Your post = Failure

Couldnt have said it better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yankeeswin27 View Post
    OK good 1.... 12-15 draft picks huh? im pretty sure the colts won the superbowl in 06 and that was DEFINTLY more than 12-15 picks ago
    and the competion is absolutley better than when marino played. the guys are faster stronger ang bigger than they were years ago. These guys are born and bred to play fotball nowadays from the time there in elemantary school there is so many camps and programs these guys go to that make them better players. Your post=fail.

Reading is a beautiful thing, isn't it?

19th overall pick in 1996: Marvin Harrison, WR
    19th overall in 1997: Tarik Glenn, OT
    1st overall in 1998: Peyton Manning, QB
    4th overall in 1999: Edgerrin James, RB
    28th overall in 2000: Rob Morris, LB
    30th overall in 2001: Reggie Wayne, WR
    11th overall in 2002: Dwight Freeney, DE
    24th overall in 2003: Dallas Clark, TE
    44th overall in 2004: Bob Sanders, SS
    29th overall in 2005: Marlin Jackson, CB

30th overall in 2006: Joseph Addai, RB
    32nd overall in 2007: Anthony Gonzalez, WR
    59th overall in 2008: Mike Pollak, C
    27th overall in 2009: Donald Brown, RB

My mistake. Ten of the past fourteen first overall draft picks have been spent on offensive players. All but four. 10 out of 14 is still proof enough that Bill Polian makes it a point to surround Manning with top talent.

I'm going to guess you're about 12, talking about how much bigger, faster and stronger these football players are than way back when. Until I see Peyton Manning take a legit hit, there's no convincing me that he's as good as Unitas, Baugh, Van Brocklin, Starr, anyone who played at a time when the defenders were allowed to take the QBs heads off every play. Joe Namath essentially lived in knee braces.

This doesn't disprove my post at all, since I said first overall picks. But I'll argue it anyway.

As shown by your bolding the players no longer with the Colts (thanks for that), 25 of the 32 defensive players they picked in the later rounds are no longer with the team. If you want to count the five most recent, assuming the earlier ones are no longer with the team due to retirement or age causing the Colts to release them, seven of 15 defensive players taken in the later rounds of the past 5 years are no longer with the team. Of their three first round defensive picks, one has not been with the team since 2006, and another only appeared in four games this season, and did not start any of them. The third is widely considered the best in the league at his respective position. Props to the Colts for taking Dwight Freeney. But Morris and Jackson have not amounted to much, to say the least. At least Indy tried to upgrade their defense by drafting them.

What I'm getting at is that the Colts focus on offense: drafting top players at the top spots, their GM whining about rules that give more opportunities for offenses built like the Colts, keeping the same offensive coordinator with the same system for 11, 12 years. So of course Manning puts up some of the best stats. Because he's set up to, not because he's much better than anyone else. And since Polian began complaining, the Colts were finally able to win the Super Bowl. Once. Potentially twice. But it's still more than they managed before, right?

Couldnt have said it better.
    I doubt you even understood what he said.
    Last edited by ring91013144043; 02-03-2010 at 06:44 PM.

vCash

vCash

Helment, this post=genius

vCash
    Last edited by yankeeswin27; 02-04-2010 at 09:54 AM.

vCash
    Reading is a beautiful thing, isn't it?

19th overall pick in 1996: Marvin Harrison, WR
    19th overall in 1997: Tarik Glenn, OT
    1st overall in 1998: Peyton Manning, QB
    4th overall in 1999: Edgerrin James, RB
    28th overall in 2000: Rob Morris, LB
    30th overall in 2001: Reggie Wayne, WR
    11th overall in 2002: Dwight Freeney, DE
    24th overall in 2003: Dallas Clark, TE
    44th overall in 2004: Bob Sanders, SS
    29th overall in 2005: Marlin Jackson, CB

30th overall in 2006: Joseph Addai, RB
    32nd overall in 2007: Anthony Gonzalez, WR
    59th overall in 2008: Mike Pollak, C
    27th overall in 2009: Donald Brown, RB

My mistake. Ten of the past fourteen first overall draft picks have been spent on offensive players. All but four. 10 out of 14 is still proof enough that Bill Polian makes it a point to surround Manning with top talent.

I'm going to guess you're about 12, talking about how much bigger, faster and stronger these football players are than way back when. Until I see Peyton Manning take a legit hit, there's no convincing me that he's as good as Unitas, Baugh, Van Brocklin, Starr, anyone who played at a time when the defenders were allowed to take the QBs heads off every play. Joe Namath essentially lived in knee braces.

This doesn't disprove my post at all, since I said first overall picks. But I'll argue it anyway.

As shown by your bolding the players no longer with the Colts (thanks for that), 25 of the 32 defensive players they picked in the later rounds are no longer with the team. If you want to count the five most recent, assuming the earlier ones are no longer with the team due to retirement or age causing the Colts to release them, seven of 15 defensive players taken in the later rounds of the past 5 years are no longer with the team. Of their three first round defensive picks, one has not been with the team since 2006, and another only appeared in four games this season, and did not start any of them. The third is widely considered the best in the league at his respective position. Props to the Colts for taking Dwight Freeney. But Morris and Jackson have not amounted to much, to say the least. At least Indy tried to upgrade their defense by drafting them.

What I'm getting at is that the Colts focus on offense: drafting top players at the top spots, their GM whining about rules that give more opportunities for offenses built like the Colts, keeping the same offensive coordinator with the same system for 11, 12 years. So of course Manning puts up some of the best stats. Because he's set up to, not because he's much better than anyone else. And since Polian began complaining, the Colts were finally able to win the Super Bowl. Once. Potentially twice. But it's still more than they managed before, right?

I doubt you even understood what he said.

wow...your an idiot. Im not sure if this is your first year following this game we call Football but let me explain something...just beacuse you draft a guy does NOT mean that he is going to contribute at all to the team what so ever. so for you to sit there and talk about that the colts have drafted offensive players that means absolutley nothing.

And so your argument that peyton wasnt as good as Unitas, star or namath beacuse he didnt take the same hits as him? Thats the dumbest argument i have ever heard.

vCash
    wow...your an idiot. Im not sure if this is your first year following this game we call Football but let me explain something...just beacuse you draft a guy does NOT mean that he is going to contribute at all to the team what so ever. so for you to sit there and talk about that the colts have drafted offensive players that means absolutley nothing.

And so your argument that peyton wasnt as good as Unitas, star or namath beacuse he didnt take the same hits as him? Thats the dumbest argument i have ever heard.
    So what you're saying is that we can't expect first round draft picks to contribute. I think you should try to reword your point, or change it altogether.

You're talking about how in general, not all first round draft picks end up panning out as expected. Which is true. But we're not talking about the league as a whole, we're talking about Peyton Manning and the Colts. Harrison and Glenn are future Hall of Famers. Wayne is among the best WRs in the league, potential Hall of Famer himself. Clark has been one of the better receiving TEs for a while, this was only his first Pro Bowl election because he had the misfortune of playing in the same conference as Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzalez. Sure, they're taking a chance by drafting these offensive players, they don't know if they're going to be a bust or not. But the fact is that they're still taking the chance and trying to surround Manning with this talent, and except for Addai, it's been working.

Do you think it was easier to play football knowing that at any point you could get your legs snapped off, and once that does happen, you just have to get back up and start from where you were sacked? While your receivers are getting manhandled just as badly, if not worse? Or is it easier to play now, when it's an automatic 5 to 15 yards if a defender brushes up against an offensive player? It's a much less physical league than it was when those guys were playing. That's a fact. And that's why Starr, Baugh, Unitas, are all tougher and better than Manning will ever be.

vCash

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456