Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Worst players to ever play for the Sox

We have a Best Players thread, so why not a Worst Players thread. We'll post the players in here that were downright awful with the Red Sox. I'll start.

Eric Gagne
    Edgar Renteria

vCash
    Javier Blowpez?
    World Series Champions
    1903 | 1912 | 1915 | 1916| 1918 | 2004 | 2007 | 2013

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aabar4518 View Post
    Javier Blowpez?
    See he was somewhat decent at times... Definitely better than Gagne.
    -

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aabar4518 View Post
    Javier Blowpez?
    Quote Originally Posted by penuch View Post
    See he was somewhat decent at times... Definitely better than Gagne.
    I agree with penuch, at times he was quite effective.

I just named the first 2 off the top of my head. I want to see what everyone else thinks.

vCash
    Craig Grebeck

vCash
    Bob ****ing Stanley. Man, I hated seeing that guy come into games.

I know he saved a bunch of games, but I really felt like every time he took the mound we had a solid chance of blowing any lead.

p.s. Does this show my age at all? Haha ..

vCash
    You have to have high expectations or be nailed in a deal to get high on this list:

Danny Cater (for Sparky Lyle)
    George Scott (for Cecil Cooper)
    Mike Torrez (his baseball card graced the underside of my toilet lid for 2-3 years)
    Skip Lockwood (first FA - ugh)
    Offerman (replacing Mo's OBP)
    Matt Clement
    Lugo
    Willy Mo
    Smoltz

there are about 3.5 times more nominees...

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Lugo.

I hated everything about him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeantownBill View Post
    Bob ****ing Stanley. Man, I hated seeing that guy come into games.

I know he saved a bunch of games, but I really felt like every time he took the mound we had a solid chance of blowing any lead.

p.s. Does this show my age at all? Haha ..
    Bob Stanley was a better pitcher then Wakefield given the IP count difference. Stanley pitched in 5 of the 7 games of the '86 WS - allowing 0 ER in in 6 1/3 IP. He was much better in the post season then Wakefield.

He was brilliant in '78 with a 15-2 record and 10 saves with a 2.60 ERA. In only 3 seasons was his ERA+ below average and they were 3 of his last 4 (of his 13 years), and combined with the excellent '88 (the 1 out of 4) he was still above average.

He was a better starter then Wakefield, and the save rates were nearly the same. IMO Stanley is one of the 125 best players in Red Sox history, and it might be higher.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    I would go with Julio Lugo
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

vCash
    Here is the worst positional Red Sox player with over 1000 PA: Rabbit Warstler SS/3B

1930-1933; 327 games; 1180 PA's; .215/.285/.276 (in a big hitters era) 48 OPS+; -2.6 WARP for the Sox

The worst pitcher with over 225 IP: Jerry Stephenson 1963-1968; 229 IP 5.54 ERA (in the lowest run scoring era since before 1920); 64 ERA+; 8-19; 1.681 WHIP; I remember him, but not much about him, he was OK in '67.

vCash
    I know I posted a ******** list for the "Top 10 Players" thread, but it was in good fun. In all honesty, in my 20 years as a Sox fan, these are the names that entered my mind for the "Worst Red Sox Players of All Time", a.k.a. "Biggest Fails in Red Sox History"...

- Craig Grebeck
    - Jose Canseco
    - Wil Cordero
    - Heathcliff Slocumb (Although, could be a blessing, as his departure brought us Derek Lowe and Jason Varitek.)
    - Edgar Renteria
    - John "Way Back" Wasdin (Everytime he threw his "12-6" curve, someone hit dropped a cake that was 6-12 miles away.)
    - Julio Lugo
    - Damon Buford

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    You have to have high expectations or be nailed in a deal to get high on this list:

Danny Cater (for Sparky Lyle)
    George Scott (for Cecil Cooper)
    Mike Torrez (his baseball card graced the underside of my toilet lid for 2-3 years)
    Skip Lockwood (first FA - ugh)
    Offerman (replacing Mo's OBP)
    Matt Clement
    Lugo
    Willy Mo
    Smoltz

there are about 3.5 times more nominees...
    Exactly.

I immediately thought of Mike Torrez but then I looked at his stats. From 1978-1982 he went 60-54 with a 4.49 ERA. It looks like his K/BB was dreadful but he doesn't seem like a god awful player. His last year with the Sox was about 3 years before I started follwing baseball. It seems like he would command a fairly decent contract these days.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by redsox0717 View Post
    Lugo.

I hated everything about him.
    I had Lugo on the brain but I had to battle time constraints (my daughter was bugging me to play Farmville) to get this thread started.

vCash
    Marc Sullivan (not R.B.I. Baseball version).

Nepotism at its worse.
    Among AL corner outfielders:

Drew's OPS (.914) was #2 to Bay (921)

SLG (.522) was #3 (Bay .537, N. Cruz .524)

OBP (.392) was #2 to Choo (.394)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast