Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

01/21/10 - Capitals (31-12-6) @ Penguins (31-19-1)

Game Preview

Mellon Arena: Pittsburgh, PA
    January 21, 2010
    7:30 PM ET

2009-10 Team Leaders
    Min. 5 GP

Capitals
    Goals : A. Ovechkin - 30
    Assists : M. Green - 38
    +/- : Ovechkin/Schultz - 27
    GAA : S. Varlamov - 2.21
    SV % : S. Varlamov - .924
    Wins : J. Theodore - 14

Penguins
    Goals : S. Crosby - 32
    Assists : S. Crosby - 31
    +/- : J. Staal - 14
    GAA : M-A. Fleury - 2.60
    SV % : B. Johnson - .915
    Wins : M-A. Fleury - 25

vCash
    News and notes for tonight's clash:

The Caps have recalled rookie John Carlson from the Hershey Bears. The reason is unclear, but it could have something to do with fellow defenseman Mike Green, who did not practice yesterday.
    http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cap....html#comments

Fleury (fractured left finger) does not expect to play tonight in the Penguins' first regular-season meeting with the Capitals.
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_663256.html

vCash
    Here's to hoping WizKid says something positive for once despite the outcome! For a team in first looking at his comments you would think we were in last.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bigity b View Post
    Here's to hoping WizKid says something positive for once despite the outcome! For a team in first looking at his comments you would think we were in last.
    Hey no can't be to high when we're winning nor too down if we're losing. I'm just naturally critical of my teams.

Anyways great to see Carlson up here, IMO he and Alzner should be paired together since they where at Hershey.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiz kids View Post
    Hey no can't be to high when we're winning nor too down if we're losing. I'm just naturally critical of my teams.

Anyways great to see Carlson up here, IMO he and Alzner should be paired together since they where at Hershey.
    I will agree with that as it's something i'd like to see too. ... but in such a 'big' game i bet BB puts a vet with each of them to minimize potential mistakes. Next year though, it should be on. Green-Schultz (ha!), Carlson-Alzner, Poti-?

vCash
    Good luck tonight, did Carlson play in the AHL all star game last night? The Hershey Bears are stacked, the Caps future looks bright. I dont know if Fleury will play tonight since he suffered a lower body injury last week. Brent Johnson gave up a couple of REALLY soft goals to the Islanders defensemen last game, so the Caps might score a lot of goals tonight...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pensx3 View Post
    Good luck tonight, did Carlson play in the AHL all star game last night?
    Yes and I read some stat today where he's played for 4 teams in 6 cities in the past two weeks alone (Hershey, WJC, Hershey, Caps, AHL all-star, Caps). He got called up because Green is listed as a "game time decision" after colliding with Bertuzzi last game. OR if you ask WizKids it's because Sloan sucks.

The Hershey Bears are stacked, the Caps future looks bright.
    Yes, thanks for noticing. I believe they've won the Calder 4 of the past 6 years. That's where Coach BB and the current Caps 3rd and 4th lines came from. Add to the fact their record right now is 32-9 (1st in the AHL, 9 pts ahead of 2nd place in the AHL, 16 pts. ahead of 2nd place team in division) + the AA team in the ECHL [South Carolina Sting Rays] record is 28-9-2 (1st in the ECHL, 10 pts. ahead of 2nd place ECHL, 16 pts. ahead of 2nd place team in division) makes the Caps very giddy about our future (not to mention the 4 or so prospects still playing in the elite league in Sweden and Russia). All we have to do is manage the salary cap and make shrewd trades.

I dont know if Fleury will play tonight since he suffered a lower body injury last week. Brent Johnson gave up a couple of REALLY soft goals to the Islanders defensemen last game, so the Caps might score a lot of goals tonight...
    It was already posted this AM that Fleury won't even be dressing (still on the IR I believe) and Johnson will start. Just like our players know his weakness (blocker/stick side low) he knows our shooters' strengths.

Either way, good luck tonight. Should be a hell of a shoot-out with two back-up goalies. Theo is red-hot which is matched by Malkin being red-hot. ... and thanx for posting in here such kind words. It was a breath of fresh air not seeing you spew hatred/taunts/baiting/etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bigity b View Post
    OR if you ask WizKids it's because Sloan sucks.
    He does...

vCash
    haha I love the banter already, but it's between us

Green is still a gametime decision but I assume he plays. Should be a good one tonight I'm definitely excited.

vCash
    Just an FYI for those who didn't know, here's a piece by Dan Steinberg on all the travel miles Carlson has been racking up recently.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcs...re_travel.html

vCash
    Close to game time. Quick disclaimer for new center Fleischmann - when facing Cindy in the faceoff circle, cover yourself if you win the draw b/c he is capable to jumping on you and punching when you're not looking.

vCash
    Green is out. D-pairings are this:

Schultz-Alzner
    Sloan-Poti
    Morrisonn-Carlson

vCash
    Another cheapie for Crosby...

vCash
    LOL Sloan as a top 4 Dman

nice one Theo...

vCash
    Knubs with the goal after a gorgeous move by Ovi