Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Sam Smith mentions that the Celtics could have traded Mchale in the late 80's

Sam Smith With NBA Trade Rumors 2010 - Youtube

1) If this is true, does anyone remember what the Celtics were going to trade Mchale for?

I remember a similar situation with the Bulls in the summer of 1997 when there was talk of trading Pippen for Van Horn and Mcgrady.

Also the reason Sam brought it up is because he thinks the Celtics could probably trade Ray Allen. This is at the 1:05-1:45 mark.

2) If so, would you trade Ray Allen if you were the Celtics? Like maybe for a package of Hinrich and Salmons to be a deeper team?
    Last edited by JordansBulls; 01-17-2010 at 10:15 AM.
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

vCash
    Classic NBA forum I think. And no to that Allen trade.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakaroach View Post
    Classic NBA forum I think. And no to that Allen trade.
    Yes if just the first part of the question. However the 2nd part of the question deals with a player playing now.
    - Michael Jordan

vCash
    imo out of there big three they are most likely going to trade allen. But if they are going to trade him it is going to be for younger depth. Something to keep them elite longer since most of us think they have this season and next season to make a run at the championship and after that they will probably have to retool/rebuild. Maybe something like Allen for Josh Howard based deal

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    The Celtics have great chemistry right now and I think if they were to move Allen, they should try to move him for a player with a similar style game. I think an ideal trade woudl be fore Rip Hamilton. The Pistons appear to be looking to move Hamilton's contract, and Prince's as well, and having Rip, who is a pure shooter that is great at coming of screens, could provide the same type of shooting punch as Allen. And if they could throw somethign in to pull Prince over as well, then that would be a great addition for the Celtics and the Pistons would clear a lot of cap space. Prince and Hamilton are also a lot younger than Allen, so adding those two to the Celtics rosters would also extend the window for title contention for the Celtics. Coupled with that, those guys are already used to playing with Sheed so there is some chemistry there already.

vCash
    JB's I don't know on the first part. I am glad Kev stayed with us. 2nd part I just might do because JS and KH would make are team deep.
    P(NBA)S(NBA)D. Yeah we sometimes talk about other sports.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn View Post
    The Celtics have great chemistry right now and I think if they were to move Allen, they should try to move him for a player with a similar style game. I think an ideal trade woudl be fore Rip Hamilton. The Pistons appear to be looking to move Hamilton's contract, and Prince's as well, and having Rip, who is a pure shooter that is great at coming of screens, could provide the same type of shooting punch as Allen. And if they could throw somethign in to pull Prince over as well, then that would be a great addition for the Celtics and the Pistons would clear a lot of cap space. Prince and Hamilton are also a lot younger than Allen, so adding those two to the Celtics rosters would also extend the window for title contention for the Celtics. Coupled with that, those guys are already used to playing with Sheed so there is some chemistry there already.
    I think Rip is actually done now. I'm wondering who the Celtics should get for Ray? Another 3 point shooter perhaps.
    - Michael Jordan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JordansBulls View Post
    I think Rip is actually done now. I'm wondering who the Celtics should get for Ray? Another 3 point shooter perhaps.
    No, If you watch Rip you will notice that missing all that time has made him rusty. Just a couple games ago he had 32 points 10 assist. He still has years left of being able to score around 20 PPG.
    Last edited by Gators123; 01-17-2010 at 01:34 PM.

vCash
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...8251/index.htm

Back in 1988, when he was one of the Celtics' backcourt starters, he was seated at a table with Bird, forward Kevin McHale and team president Red Auerbach during the organization's Christmas party. At the time Boston was reportedly considering trades that would have sent Bird and McHale to the Indiana Pacers and Dallas Mavericks, respectively. "Look at these two guys," Ainge told Auerbach, over the surrounding conversations of other players and their families. "Larry's got casts on his feet [from surgery to remove bone spurs in both heels], Kevin's got a screw in his foot [to repair a stress fracture]—you've got to trade these guys." Everyone laughed at Ainge's typical audacity, but he wasn't joking. "I would have traded Larry Bird," he insists today
    - Michael Jordan

vCash
    There was also talk about Reggie Lewis being traded. Looking back now, Boston should have definitely traded all three of them.

Allen should go, he's just been way too unreliable in the playoffs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNash View Post
    There was also talk about Reggie Lewis being traded. Looking back now, Boston should have definitely traded all three of them.

Allen should go, he's just been way too unreliable in the playoffs.
    What would be a good deal for him? Would trading Ray Allen and Tony Allen to the Rockets for Battier and Mcgrady be good?
    - Michael Jordan

vCash
    What would be a good deal for him? Would trading Ray Allen and Tony Allen to the Rockets for Battier and Mcgrady be good?
    Depends on how long they want they want to contend. They could either to a temporary solution like the trade you suggested, though I don't think Houston gives up Battier, more like someone like Hayes. Then rebuild in the offseason.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn View Post
    If they could get both you can go ahead and crown their azz(classic D Green)

vCash
    No, I'm keeping Ray Allen. The guy proved last year he can still hit the big shot when it counts. I'm keeping him unless a great deal comes along. The Rockets deal doesn't sound too pretty.
    Greatness is a Virtue

vCash
    For Joe Smith?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast