Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    He's a HOF

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vigilantex69 View Post
    How can you even ask, "Is Marvin Harrison one of the great all time receivers?". Harrison is probably one of the top 3 in the HISTORY of the game man. I would rank him second best behind Rice, but many people will put Moss in front of him. It has nothing to do with Manning. He will enter the hall of fame as one of the greatest to ever play the game.
    Top 3? No way...

Rice and Moss are; Largent, Carter, and Brown probably are; and some others might be...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendX View Post
    Marvin Harrison Stats:

Receptions: 1,102 - 2nd All-Time
    Receiving Touchdowns: 128 7th All-Time
    Total Touchdowns: 128 - 9th All-Time
    Receiving Yards: 14,580 5th All-Time

He is easily a Top Ten WR of all time.
    agreed.

vCash
    Harrison was a beast lol and definitely top 10

vCash
    Top 5!!!!!

vCash
    I think Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss, and Andre Johnson will be better than Harrison by the time they retire. But for now Harrison is top 10

vCash
    I'm not going to take the time to make a list of the best receivers ever, but Marvin Harrison is a definite lock for the Hall of Fame, and is one of the best receivers of my lifetime.

vCash
    Just out of curiosity do you have any idea what your talking about?
    the first 2 season before Peyton came were 1996, and 1997 Harrisons rookie and sophmore year.

Rookie year 64 rec, 836 yards, 8td's.

Sophmore year 73, receptions 866, yards 6 td's

so maybe do some research before you post........... Because those are pretty nice years for a young guy.

In comparison Percy Harvins rookie stats:

60 rec, 790 yards, 6TD's
    also 135 rush yds.

good eough for OROY.

vCash
    Yes he is definitely an all time great.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

vCash
    There is more to being a great WR than just catching the ball. How great was Marvin Harrison as a downfield blocker?

vCash
    Marvin Harrison Stats:

Receptions: 1,102 - 2nd All-Time
    Receiving Touchdowns: 128 7th All-Time
    Total Touchdowns: 128 - 9th All-Time
    Receiving Yards: 14,580 5th All-Time

He is easily a Top Ten WR of all time.
    Look at the time he played in, and his QB - come on...

Nobody these days could touch the old bombs away types: Warfield (20.1 ypc), Morgan (19.1 ypc). Does that mean that they are all better? Doubtful.

Did you account for the fact he played 16 games a year, many others played 14, or 12, did you forget them? Account for them? 5.8 RPG for MH. What about Hennigan in '64 - 101 catches in 14 games. 52 player years since have seen more catches in 16 games. Did the game change? The top 28 guys of all time are all after Art Monk in 1984. Same game?

How about YPG? The top 6 guys are active, the 7th Harrison, think maybe the game has changed?

I personally think he is a great, not top 5 or 10 but maybe 15 - unless he gets out of his legal issues totally he will never get in the HOF, never.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post

Nobody these days could touch the old bombs away types: Warfield (20.1 ypc), Morgan (19.1 ypc). Does that mean that they are all better? Doubtful.

Did you account for the fact he played 16 games a year, many others played 14, or 12, did you forget them? Account for them? 5.8 RPG for MH. What about Hennigan in '64 - 101 catches in 14 games. 52 player years since have seen more catches in 16 games. Did the game change? The top 28 guys of all time are all after Art Monk in 1984. Same game?

How about YPG? The top 6 guys are active, the 7th Harrison, think maybe the game has changed?

I personally think he is a great, not top 5 or 10 but maybe 15 - unless he gets out of his legal issues totally he will never get in the HOF, never.
    Okay.

Lets go ahead and discredit Jerry Rice, Cris Carter, Randy Moss, Reggie Wayne, Wes Welker, Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin and Tim Brown (just to name a few) while we're at it, because they all had great QBs passing to them too and they played in a different era to some of the guys you mentioned.

This is ridiculous, it is very easy to argue he is a Top Ten All-Time WR and anybody that disagrees is either a Harrison Hater, a Colts hater, or is in complete love with the others in the Top Ten - I ask, which one are you?

He deserves a spot in the Hall of Fame and he is an All-Time Great.

vCash
    Okay.

Lets go ahead and discredit Jerry Rice, Cris Carter, Randy Moss, Reggie Wayne, Wes Welker, Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin and Tim Brown (just to name a few) while we're at it, because they all had great QBs passing to them too and they played in a different era to some of the guys you mentioned.

This is ridiculous, it is very easy to argue he is a Top Ten All-Time WR and anybody that disagrees is either a Harrison Hater, a Colts hater, or is in complete love with the others in the Top Ten - I ask, which one are you?

He deserves a spot in the Hall of Fame and he is an All-Time Great.
    Hey numb nuts, I addressed the difference in games played, the style of the game, I only mentioned Manning in passing, not to discredit either, just to say that MH is a modern player, and one better step carefully before using raw stats. Best stow the inferiority complex.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post

Hey, I appreciate and enjoy your thorough research and understanding of statistics, their historical context and their use in judging/evaluating players within and across eras. I love looking at baseball in that way because the skill involved in batting will always (in my mind) trump the advancements in training regiments and overall physical attributes.

I'm not sure if the same principles apply as easily to football. Obviously the number of games per season is important when reciting season and career stats. But, in the case of the philosophical changes to the passing game, it could be argued that the evolution of the passing game came about largely due to the increased strength, skills and athleticism of the QBs and WRs. Maybe the football players of this era are just better. Obviously, the intellectual increase amongst coaches across all levels has helped the skill players develop and learn more at younger ages. That gives today's players a big advantage over former generations. But, I don't know if I hold that advantage against them when judging them historically? I've said it before in another thread: football comparisons are extremely difficult.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12