Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Is Marvin Harrison an all-time great receiver?

What are your guys opinion on Marvin Harrison? Do you feel he is up there with the all-time great receivers?

I actually have a hard time putting him up there. To this day, I still can't figure out if Marvin Harrison was truly great, or did Peyton Manning make him great. People all the time tell me. "If you discredit Marvin for having Peyton throw to him, then you have other great receivers for having great QB's throw to them, like Jerry Rice having Joe Montana throw to him".

There's a difference between Montana/Rice & Manning/Harrison. Great receivers are great no matter who is throwing to them. Jerry Rice played great w/ AND w/o Montana. He was great throughout his whole career. Marvin Harrison on the other hand, played 2 years before Manning arrived. He was basically a nobody. He started playing great when Manning arrived and all of the years that he played great were with Manning. In his last years with the Colts, Marvin was horrible while Manning was still great. Marvin Harrison is no longer w/ the Colts. Peyton Manning has continued to be great and won his 4th MVP award this year. Meanwhile, Marvin Harrison can't even find a job. If Marvin is so great, why hasn't anybody signed him? Because he's old and washed up? Even an old washed-up Rice landed a gig with Seattle. Even an old washed-up Cris Carter landed a gig with Miami. An old washed-up Tim Brown landed a gig with Tampa Bay. An over the hill/team cancer T.O. landed a gig with Buffalo. So why can't any team go out and sign Marvin, even if he has to be a 3rd/4th receiver? You can very well make the argument that Peyton Manning made Marvin Harrison, and that makes it hard for me to put him amongst the greats.

vCash
    So because he didn't have anyone other then Peyton throwing the ball to him that means he is not great?

You can't fault the guy for playing in a stable offense with a great QB his whole carreer.

OK Nick, here is what I need you do. Go over there and grab me some water, a towel, and make yourself comfortable while I WRECK THIS ISH.

My name is Mark Sanchez. I am here to save you.

vCash
    Manning is the reason hes great?
    No Marvin is great no matter

vCash
    yes he is a great reciever
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    How can you even ask, "Is Marvin Harrison one of the great all time receivers?". Harrison is probably one of the top 3 in the HISTORY of the game man. I would rank him second best behind Rice, but many people will put Moss in front of him. It has nothing to do with Manning. He will enter the hall of fame as one of the greatest to ever play the game.
    2012 Texas Rangers Offseason

"I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never” -Rafael Palmeiro (4 Months before testing positive for steroids)

Texas Rangers 2010-11 American League Champions!

Indianapolis Colts Super Bowl XLI Champions!

vCash
    No question about it

vCash
    Yes he is

vCash
    Why wouldn't he be? He was awesome in his day.

vCash
    That stupid debating whether or not he great cause he has all-time great qb. Rice had Montanna and Young and Rich Gannon do you debate whether or not Rice is a all-time great because of the great qbs he has.

Introducing the Eagles O-Line

vCash
    I think so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktown R8ers View Post
    Manning is the reason hes great?
    No Marvin is great no matter
    Manning is a big help to have,but Marvin is just a great talent! He is one of the greatest WR ever
    Here we come

vCash
    Yes he is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vigilantex69 View Post
    How can you even ask, "Is Marvin Harrison one of the great all time receivers?". Harrison is probably one of the top 3 in the HISTORY of the game man. I would rank him second best behind Rice, but many people will put Moss in front of him. It has nothing to do with Manning. He will enter the hall of fame as one of the greatest to ever play the game.
    I would rank Harrison in the top-10 but not top 3. There have been better receivers before him, and during his era:

Don Maynard, Cris Carter, Randy Moss, Sterling Sharpe, Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, Steve Largent, Lance Alworth, Andre Reed, Tim Brown, Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt

I would say a lot of them are close, but regardless some or most of them have never had the GOAT throwing to them.
    Last edited by J-E-T-S; 01-17-2010 at 10:48 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by J-E-T-S View Post
    I would rank Harrison in the top-10 but not top 3. There have been better receivers before him, and during his era:

Don Maynard, Cris Carter, Randy Moss, Sterling Sharpe, Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, Steve Largent, Lance Alworth, Andre Reed, Tim Brown, Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt

I would say a lot of them are close, but regardless some or most of them have never had the GOAT throwing to them.
    dude i cant even read your comments because of your sig. That **** is gonna give me a seizure hahaha
    TWINSIES!!

vCash
    Marvin Harrison Stats:

Receptions: 1,102 - 2nd All-Time
    Receiving Touchdowns: 128 7th All-Time
    Total Touchdowns: 128 - 9th All-Time
    Receiving Yards: 14,580 5th All-Time

He is easily a Top Ten WR of all time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast