Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

2010 invitation fantasy league

Hi all,

I plan to form an invitation only, 12-16 team advanced fantasy league. It will be an auction draft keeper league, the scoring categories are as yet undetermined and the positions will depend on the size of the league. I'm strongly leaning towards a 12 team league with something like 2 C, 1b, 2b, SS, 3b, MI, CI, 4 OF, 1 CF, UTIL, 9 P. That's something like a 32 player draft (7ish bench sounds right?) as outlined there. I will be looking for somewhere that we can do points H2H* which grades out your categories with points. Otherwise it will be a fairly standard roto.

*Example: Imagine you were doing a 2 category league of HRs and SB and each is worth 1 point. Your team has 12 HR's against 1 HR for your opponent and you have 3 SBs against 4 for your opponent. In a standard categories H2H you would tie 1-1. In a points H2H you get 15 points and your opponent gets 5, so you win. It's more like football in this way.

Those are the basics of the league, nothing is set in stone except that it will be a keeper league with an auction draft. If you would like to be considered for the league, please PM me. This is going to be a high participation league and require a fair bit more attention than the standard yahoo leagues we do. For one, you will need to be prepared for a very lengthy draft on a future weekend date to be named. I've never done an auction draft, but I'm expecting it to run 4 hours...

I'm interested in making this a money league ($20<X<$50). We can gauge the interest in this and our options for collecting the money in a safe and non-costly way. If there's no interest or the specifics are too complicated we can skip that.

I think that covers the basics, PM me if interested. It doesn't have to be PSD regulars or Phillies fans either, I just need to be fairly confident in your participation (so high participation in past yahoo leagues will be considered).
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

vCash
    im intrested in joining your fantasy league let me know if i make the cut! first or second draft spot?
    Last edited by philsphorever76; 01-08-2010 at 12:13 AM. Reason: needed to add something

vCash
    This is a copy of my post from the OT thread regarding the keeper rules I'm pondering:

I'm thinking about allowing unlimited keepers with the keeper cost being some premium over either the Yahoo pre draft ranking* or simply a number over the amount that player was drafted for**. A 3rd way would be step one with a year multiplier***.

*So let's say the premium was 20% and Yahoo set Pujols' value at $40. The cost of keeping Pujols would be $48. If you only kept Pujols your draft budget would be 260-48=212. If the year after that Pujols has a down year and Yahoo rates him at $25 for the next draft, you could retain him for $30. The basic features are you pay a premium to avoid the uncertainty of the draft and a player's keeper cost resets every year.

**Let's say you draft Pujols for $40 this year and it costs $8 over the price you paid to retain a player. You get to keep him for $48. If you want to keep him the next year? $56. Now let's say I draft Neftali Feliz for $1 and he turns into Pedro Martinez with a Yahoo value of $30. I would pay $9 to keep him next year, $17, $25, $33 thereafter. The basic features are good scouting in year 1 reaps benefits down the line and the cost of keeping a player grows with service time on your roster.

***This is a combination of 1 and 2. A simple premium formula like 10%+10%*Years on Team = Premium would be used to determine cost. So a $40 rated Pujols costs $48 to keep for year 2. If Yahoo says he's $40 again for year 3, then his cost is 40*(.1+.1*2)=$56. But if his Yahoo value was only $25 for year 3, his cost would be $33 (all numbers would be rounded up).

Similarly, if Feliz became a $30 player annually, you would pay $36, $39, $42, etc.

I like option 2 the best because it rewards good scouting, but I also recognize that options 1 and 3 would serve to increase league parity. If a player got $30 of value from Neftali Feliz in year one for $1 of budget, chances are that player did very well and doesn't "need" additional payoff for making a good draft choice.

Then again I could use option 2 and augment budgets to help/hurt based on placement. Something like:

1st:-25
    2nd:-20
    3rd:-15
    4th:-10
    5th:-5
    6th: 0
    7th: 0
    8th: +5
    9th: +10
    10th:+15
    11th:+20
    12th:+25

This seems like a reasonable way to level the playing field year to year. If you win the league and get $100, you shouldn't get too pissy about being handicapped 25 budget points in the next season while paying $20. Especially since a team that wins the league probably has a couple of those Neftali Feliz-like examples that they could leverage the following season to easily recover that $25 penalty while a team that finishes 12th probably saw their 1st round pick combust and needs to make a bunch of draft picks.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

vCash
    Signed up today...

1980 & 2008 World Series Champs

vCash
    Posted some suggestions on yahoo...

1980 & 2008 World Series Champs

vCash
    I'm excited, I think we have a full league of 12 after all

7. 03-30-2011, 11:38 AM
    Reason
    Bumping a year old thread.