Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Will Cole Bounce Back??

Ok, so after the 2008 season, i thought cole was well on his way 2 becoming one of the best pitchers in baseball... i really thought he was a big cy young candidate coming in to the 2009 season...

last season, he went 10-11 with a 4.32 ERA and 1.29 WHIP... in the playoffs, he went 1-2 with a 7.58 ERA and 1.53 WHIP... He had better stats in his rookie season!

So now, coming in to 2010, will Cole bounce back and return 2 his 2008 WS MVP form? I mean there is no question that if Cole gets back to form we would have one of, if not the best, 1-2 punches in the MLB... Thoughts?

We're just going to have to wait and see with Hamels. Statistically, his performance should be between his good 2008 and bad 2009. From a player standpoint, who knows? He appears to be a bit of a headcase and it's unclear if he'll develop or try to develop additional pitches. People have been suggesting that is a must for Hamels, but in the short term, it would probably make him a worse pitcher in 2010. Fastball, change-up, show me seems like enough to me, he needs to miss the middle of the plate a little more often while at the same time nibble less in early counts.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

his command seemed off the entire season. he was staying up in the zone instead of around the knees. his change up is best when he's burying it and is much flatter when higher in the zone. also his fastball is nothing special so when that gets left up in the zone he gets rocked. if he can figure out why his command was off and then fix it i think he should be fine. Also all the innings he pitched in '08 (around 280 i believe) probably caught up to him. previously the most he had thrown in a season was 180.

The answer is: He better.

Props.LgnD.

I have never been too fond of Cole and have always been hard on him. He is obviously a good pitcher, but I really despise his attitude and apparent work ethic. With that said, I look at it this way...we made it to the World Series last season with Hamels and Lidge being absolutely terrible compared to the prior year. They really (fingers crossed) cant get much worse and yet we still made it that far. I'll take the optimistic approach of yes, he will bounce back. Even if he doesnt return to 08 form, an area in between is still pretty awesome if you think about how far we got last season with him being pretty bad.

Has anyone heard what his work effort was like this off season? Supposedly that was his excuse for last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    Parity is about equality of opportunity, not equality of results.

Yes. Anyone can bounce back from a year like last

I think his problems last year were the lack of focus for one, and whenever he was cruising through the first 3-4 innings with his fastball/change up, he would start to move towards his curveball and get crushed.

Hi curvebll has nice movement, but stayed high at timesand that was his doom

Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers fan
    - I love Ray Lewis.

"Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

yes he will, i can't guarentee he'll win the cy young because you never know how the voters will vote but i will guarentee he's in the top 3 in votes this year.

Will you make that guarantee a bet? I'd love to bet you that he isn't in the top 5. And still puts up a bounce back season.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

He mentioned last year how he didn't work as hard in the offseason because of all of the appearances/commercials/etc and such so. I'm guessing he wasn't doing nearly has much this offseason and that gives him more time to work on his stuff, so i expect him to come back strong.

Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    Will you make that guarantee a bet? I'd love to bet you that he isn't in the top 5. And still puts up a bounce back season.

If Hamels bounces back, he's going to bounce back as one of the top 10 pitchers in the NL

Now Top 10 would be a fair bet...It's just hard to imagine Hamels sneaking past guys like Halladay, Lincecum, Wainwright, Haren, Santana, and Carpenter into the Top 3.

Honestly, I don't understand why people were so suprised by his slide last season...

All indications were, that he was going to slide down from the previous season based off of his insane pitch totals from the 08 campaign much like so many other pitchers...

He'll come back strong after this offseason of recooperation...

He did throw more pitches and innings in 08 than any other pitcher in baseball...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast