Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gators123 View Post
    AVG isn't very good

IMO Avast is better
    x100

avast is far superior

vCash
    well I am screwed I cant go into safemode or go into system restore and my desktop wont show up just a black screen and on top of that 2 spyware program keep repeating itself, plus cant go on internet firefox says it keep crashing.

Introducing the Eagles O-Line

vCash
    I dont get it, every time I run a avast scan, the results say for everything, Unable to scan, password protected.

vCash
    Will this help with rootkit.tdss? This thing is a *****. Spyware dr detected it but wont remove it it just resets itself Ihave no clue what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    PHILLIES EAGLES FLYERS SIXERS

vCash
    Yep I need help, every time a run a virus scan the results always come up the same, either unable to scan or nothing was found.

I have run spyware doctor and have been told I have many infections, but nothing has ever been found by my virus protection.

I know my labtop is infected, I can just tell. The past week it has been very slow and fussy. its terrible and unbearable at times.

I have tried to follow the steps listed in the first page, but to no avail or change.

vCash
    What are your thoughts on Super Anti Spyware? I have had good success in using it with Spybot for protection. Im debating to remove Ad-aware or not because of those 2 programs.

Also, What are your thoughts about Symantec Antivirus? That what i have now, I got it free from school so i dont have to pay for updates or anything. But im lukewarm about it. It seems good at catching things if i get something, but it seems to be a serious recourse hog when i start my computer. Makes it unusable for about 10 minutes. And i have looked through my processes and taken off the ones i dont want
    Last edited by A.Mopp; 01-18-2010 at 12:41 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Mopp View Post
    What are your thoughts on Super Anti Spyware? I have had good success in using it with Spybot for protection. Im debating to remove Ad-aware or not because of those 2 programs.

Also, What are your thoughts about Symantec Antivirus? That what i have now, I got it free from school so i dont have to pay for updates or anything. But im lukewarm about it. It seems good at catching things if i get something, but it seems to be a serious recourse hog when i start my computer. Makes it unusable for about 10 minutes. And i have looked through my processes and taken off the ones i dont want

SuperAntiSpyware is another great program I use along side with Malwareybtes. What one of the programs misses the other usually finds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbendz View Post
    Will this help with rootkit.tdss? This thing is a *****. Spyware dr detected it but wont remove it it just resets itself Ihave no clue what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Try SuperAntiSpyware and/or Malwarebytes. Rootkits can be hard to get rid of but I'm sure these will get rid of it.

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyte...-10804572.html

http://download.cnet.com/SuperAntiSp...-10523889.html

Both are free, but you can buy the Pro version if you want extra protection from future spyware/malware.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    ^ If I unistall AVG and follow the guy intstructions of the first post will it slow my computer down more or not I knew the risk of using p2p when I downloaded limeware but I was short on money and looking for some free music. I might be able to download all the anti-virus stuff and let it downloaded and install it self all evening whille I do something else if it will slow down my computer I can unistall all of it even if it dosnt work. I will see what happens.
    Removing the spyware and viruses will SPEED UP your computer, not slow it down.

AVG does eat a lot of resources and slow your computer down, which is why I'm recommending Microsoft Security Essentials.

Spybot I use to scan and immunize. I don't use it running in the background all the time. If you follow my guide, the only additional program you'll have running all the time is Microsoft Security Essentials, which uses far fewer resources than AVG.

I download a few things with some P2P networks, but I prefer to purchase things legally these days. However, if you're going to go the P2P route, I recommend Shareaza. Many P2P clients have viruses and spyware built directly in. Even with Shareaza, you're likely to download files that are virus infected over the network, but if you have a very good anti-virus program (like Microsoft Security Essentials) it will catch those viruses right away.

Literally, I've taken 5 different computers from various family members this past week, replaced AVG with Microsoft Security Essentials, and on every single one, Security Essentials found several viruses that AVG didn't pick up.
    http://caamasi-disciples.com/ - A SW:TOR Republic guild focused on casual players who want to play "the Good Guy."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehdcubsfan23 View Post
    Yep I need help, every time a run a virus scan the results always come up the same, either unable to scan or nothing was found.

I have run spyware doctor and have been told I have many infections, but nothing has ever been found by my virus protection.

I know my labtop is infected, I can just tell. The past week it has been very slow and fussy. its terrible and unbearable at times.

I have tried to follow the steps listed in the first page, but to no avail or change.
    Most virus programs only check for viruses, and don't check for spyware, which is why you really need seperate virus and spyware scanners.

If you run Process Explorer (linked in the guide), you can see which processes are eating up your CPU, memory and network utilization.
    http://caamasi-disciples.com/ - A SW:TOR Republic guild focused on casual players who want to play "the Good Guy."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gators123 View Post
    SuperAntiSpyware is another great program I use along side with Malwareybtes. What one of the programs misses the other usually finds.

Try SuperAntiSpyware and/or Malwarebytes. Rootkits can be hard to get rid of but I'm sure these will get rid of it.

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyte...-10804572.html

http://download.cnet.com/SuperAntiSp...-10523889.html

Both are free, but you can buy the Pro version if you want extra protection from future spyware/malware.
    Ok so I downloaded both of these, malwarebytes installs but the program just doesn't load, and superantispyware "stops working" as soon as I launch the setup. Even in safe mode. Spyware doctor doesn't do it either. This is really starting to ****ing piss me off. Thanks for the help anyway though.

vCash
    Ok so I downloaded both of these, malwarebytes installs but the program just doesn't load, and superantispyware "stops working" as soon as I launch the setup. Even in safe mode. Spyware doctor doesn't do it either. This is really starting to ****ing piss me off. Thanks for the help anyway though.
    I keep ClamWin portable on a thumb drive, and Spybot on a thumb drive just in case they won't install.

If you have access to a second computer, you can stick the infected PC's hard drive in the second computer, and tell it do a scan. If it is a laptop, or you can't physically stick it inside the second computer, you can use an external hard drive case to hook up the infected drive as an external drive.

Or you can boot to something like Hiren's BootCD and then run scans from that.

vCash
    Finally got that mother ****er off my computer!!!! Monkeyboy, not sure exactly if you have a virus or not, but I remember having the firefox crash issues before, try right clicking it and running as administrator.

I'm gonna post this for future reference for anyone who might find it useful. I don't know the first thing about most of this stuff, but it worked for me. Download the malwarebytes from the link that Gators posted in post 37. Its helpful to download it right to the desktop, so when it finishes, rename it fom mbam.exe or whatever it is to something like zcxsetup.exe, then run it. During the set up where it asks if you want to create a desktop icon click no. Once its done installing, go to the folder location in program files and rename the file "mbam.exe" to "mbam.com" and then run it. Make sure you close all programs and browser first, then do a full scan. That is the only thing that worked for me, and I finally got that unbelievable pain in the *** off my computer.

vCash
    Ok now I need some more help lol. My spyware doctor doesn't work anymore. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, but every time I try to uninstall it is says "bla bla something something unins000.msg is missing." I try just deleting the entire folder in program files and it says I need permission, whatever the **** that means. Sometimes its there in the task bar, but when I hover over it it says "disconnected." I've even tried just redownloading it and installing it, but the setup never even loads. If this sounds familiar to anyone please help, this is getting REALLY ****ing annoying. I've tried just about everything I can find in google searches and nothing works.

vCash
    Ok now I need some more help lol. My spyware doctor doesn't work anymore. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, but every time I try to uninstall it is says "bla bla something something unins000.msg is missing." I try just deleting the entire folder in program files and it says I need permission, whatever the **** that means. Sometimes its there in the task bar, but when I hover over it it says "disconnected." I've even tried just redownloading it and installing it, but the setup never even loads. If this sounds familiar to anyone please help, this is getting REALLY ****ing annoying. I've tried just about everything I can find in google searches and nothing works.
    If you're running Vista or Windows 7, it will say you need permission to delete a folder in Program Files. You can disable UAC (Google it, it's simple) or open a Windows Explorer window in administrator mode (right click on Windows Explorer in the start menu, and then selected administrator mode).

However, I'd use Revo Uninstaller, which will do its best to clear registry entries, and all the files.

I'd replace it with Spybot Seach and Destroy and/or Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes has a good scanning engine to clean infections, but I really prefer Spybot's Immunize feature which stops you from getting infections in the first place.

vCash
    I don't know what I did, but I got it running again. I bought the pro version of Malwarebytes so I'm running that and spyware doctor plus antivirus. I'm pretty sure I'm clear of all the infections, but I still have some minor issues from time to time. Sometimes certain programs fail to load, and when they do I get that stupid "not responding" issue with them. Happens with firefox sometimes, malwarebytes will "stop responding" halfway through a scan, etc. Any idea what might cause that?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast