Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Appreciate that. Nice of you to take the time to share that

vCash
    Nice post, I too am a Systems Engineer. Just two quick notes:

1. I personally prefer Ad-Aware over Spybot

2. What's with showing no love for Avant Browser?

Other than that, great stuff!
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

vCash
    I actually prefer to use both Spybot and Ad-aware. I've used both Avast and AVG, and of those two prefer Avast. I haven't yet tried the Microsoft product mentioned above, though.
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stamina View Post
    Nice post, I too am a Systems Engineer. Just two quick notes:

1. I personally prefer Ad-Aware over Spybot

2. What's with showing no love for Avant Browser?

Other than that, great stuff!
    I used to occassionally scan with both Ad-Aware and Spybot because each will detect a few things the other will miss. However, Spybot's immunization feature helps protect from getting any infections in the future. I find it is better to not get any infections rather than try to clean them later.

My Windows gaming PC, I scan from time to time with a variety of products. I never get infections, period because I use Adblock, Hosts file, etc. etc.

BTW, I've been considering expanding the guide a little bit with some more tips. But I don't want to make it seem so long that it scares people off.

And ultimately the best way to make sure you never get a virus or spyware is to run Linux. But I might start another thread with some Linux tips for anyone who wants to give it a try. If you use your computer primarily for surfing the web, it really is the way to go. Your computer is faster, more secure, and there are no hassles trying to maintain and clean it.

I keep Windows around primarily for gaming.
    Last edited by enderandrew; 01-11-2010 at 02:58 PM.
    http://caamasi-disciples.com/ - A SW:TOR Republic guild focused on casual players who want to play "the Good Guy."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by enderandrew View Post
    I used to occassionally scan with both Ad-Aware and Spybot because each will detect a few things the other will miss. However, Spybot's immunization feature helps protect from getting any infections in the future. I find it is better to not get any infections rather than try to clean them later.

My Windows gaming PC, I scan from time to time with a variety of products. I never get infections, period because I use Adblock, Hosts file, etc. etc.

BTW, I've been considering expanding the guide a little bit with some more tips. But I don't want to make it seem so long that it scares people off.

And ultimately the best way to make sure you never get a virus or spyware is to run Linux. But I might start another thread with some Linux tips for anyone who wants to give it a try. If you use your computer primarily for surfing the web, it really is the way to go. Your computer is faster, more secure, and there are no hassles trying to maintain and clean it.

I keep Windows around primarily for gaming.
    Agreed!

I am running Linux Ubuntu on one of my laptops, I love it!! I started a Linux thread but apparently there are only a few open source users on PSD

6. 01-14-2010, 02:54 AM

vCash
    I downloaded limeware to get free music on my ipod touch and now since I downloaded it taken more time to get programs and internet browser going or boost up I am afraid that if I download all of this stuff you posted it will slow up my computer even more I have AVG and it says no viruses or threat detected everytime I run it

Introducing the Eagles O-Line

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    I downloaded limeware to get free music on my ipod touch and now since I downloaded it taken more time to get programs and internet browser going or boost up I am afraid that if I download all of this stuff you posted it will slow up my computer even more I have AVG and it says no viruses or threat detected everytime I run it
    Don't use P2P, um, ever. You probably have a lot of malware, spyware, and viruses that AVG and Spybot aren't picking up. Download other free protections and run them (then uninstall) to see if you can clean it up a bit. If you can't, your best bet is to probably just re-format your hard drive and this time don't use P2P programs!

vCash
    ^ If I unistall AVG and follow the guy intstructions of the first post will it slow my computer down more or not I knew the risk of using p2p when I downloaded limeware but I was short on money and looking for some free music. I might be able to download all the anti-virus stuff and let it downloaded and install it self all evening whille I do something else if it will slow down my computer I can unistall all of it even if it dosnt work. I will see what happens.

vCash
    thanks!

vCash
    ^ If I unistall AVG and follow the guy intstructions of the first post will it slow my computer down more or not I knew the risk of using p2p when I downloaded limeware but I was short on money and looking for some free music. I might be able to download all the anti-virus stuff and let it downloaded and install it self all evening whille I do something else if it will slow down my computer I can unistall all of it even if it dosnt work. I will see what happens.

What's the specs on your PC? And also, how much free HD space do you have left?

Limewire is a pretty large application that will eat up alot of processor and memory which will definitely sow down your PC.

Sounds like you need to have your PC optimized as well (Defraged)

vCash
    Now I get random ad and spam website popping up every 15 min should I just get rid of AVG and go with the guy advice.

vCash
    AVG isn't very good

IMO Avast is better

vCash
    Now I get random ad and spam website popping up every 15 min should I just get rid of AVG and go with the guy advice.
    Make sure you Download Malwarebytes, Click "download Now" in the blue letters for the free version. Its a small program so it wont slow down your computer. Its not a anti virus but its a anti malware/spyware. Run a full scan.

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyte...-10804572.html

vCash
    Christ now I got this message in a big black box saying my computer infected, I ran the default uninstalled window sercuitry update and found 19 virus but says I need to pay 70 bucks to upgrade I sure as hell aint doing that. AVG found some stuff like trojain and malware but want me to reboot did that once and virsues keep coming back. browser now saying it cant find website anymore such as fox sports cnet, even any of the link I try to click off of this website In fact I know if I close the tab of PSD I probably wont be able to get back on, only website that work is google but the search engine wont work.

SOS, SOS!

vCash
    Christ now I got this message in a big black box saying my computer infected, I ran the default uninstalled window sercuitry update and found 19 virus but says I need to pay 70 bucks to upgrade I sure as hell aint doing that. AVG found some stuff like trojain and malware but want me to reboot did that once and virsues keep coming back. browser now saying it cant find website anymore such as fox sports cnet, even any of the link I try to click off of this website In fact I know if I close the tab of PSD I probably wont be able to get back on, only website that work is google but the search engine wont work.

SOS, SOS!
    Try to do a system restore. Restore it at a point when it was working fine. If that doesn't work download the programs from another computer and put them on a thumb drive then plug the thumb drive into the infected computer and try to get them that way.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast