Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    bob mckenzie reports that the isles have put b witt on waivers any interest in bringing him back

PAPI SMASH!

vCash
    ^ Not at all waste of salary and sucks in his own end. Actually sucks in both ends..... -18 5 points and 46 PIMs no

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by j-bay44 View Post
    bob mckenzie reports that the isles have put b witt on waivers any interest in bringing him back
    None from me - he does nothing but sit in the box half the game, IMO, and has zero puck moving skills. Sure he's aggressive with loads of sandpaper, but his defense is on the major decline as he's always looking for the big hit. Also, isn't he coming off an injury where he's missed significant time? When I think of him, i think of Erskine super magnified (i.e. more of the roughness, less of the offense).

Then again, he would be free and fairly cheap (only $3 mil thru next year). Plus the Caps can play the nostalgic angle of re-acquiring him. And what Witt brings usually is an asset in the playoffs. (I could see him wearing out Crosby now)...

Re-thinking this, I could see the Caps grabbing him if they already had the framework of a deal in place where they're getting rid of a few of their D (think ShaneMo + Erskine, as they would be the same player + ?). We still don't have Alzner in the lineup so picking up Witt would require fitting in 2 d to what we got.

vCash
    ^ guess your right maybe his dog would be a good d-man
    http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/81...ts-Illustrated

PAPI SMASH!

vCash
    Wtf.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCardiacKids View Post
    Wtf.....
    i will be willing to take anyone or anything at this point

PAPI SMASH!

vCash
    Stars - Modano would be great, he could be another Federov.
    Theo - WOW! he stole the game. Most of the team was terrible last night if not for him, good bye game 11. I think we roll with him number 1 and Varly 2, if he ever comes back for the playoffs. Eventually the team will be Varly and hopefully Nuevy backing him up, but for now Theo's hot, keep him and go for the D.

vCash
    You guys keep saying Neuvirth is going to stay but I'm going to have to disagree. This year is choice year with these two, Neuvirth is on contract year and he is prime real estate in this deadline. If the Caps do move for someone I wouldn't be surprised if he is in the deal. The Caps are probably not going to want to have two young goaltenders next year. Instead, they are probably going to pick up a veteran backup to backstop Varly for next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chocolayo View Post
    You guys keep saying Neuvirth is going to stay but I'm going to have to disagree. This year is choice year with these two, Neuvirth is on contract year and he is prime real estate in this deadline. If the Caps do move for someone I wouldn't be surprised if he is in the deal. The Caps are probably not going to want to have two young goaltenders next year. Instead, they are probably going to pick up a veteran backup to backstop Varly for next year.
    um.... first it's THEO that is in the last year of his contract, not Neuvy.

Second, roll your memory back a few years to two offseasons ago. Huet wanted a three year deal and GMGM said no because he fully expected to have both Varly AND Neuvy as the two goalies in three years (next year). Huet stiff's GMGM's two year offer and signs for 3 years with Chi. GMGM then takes the next best available and signs Theo for two years. GMGM's long term plans were always to have Varly/Neuvy push eachother.

Third, Varly and Neuvy haven't really distinguished themselves as the clear #1 but both are certainly capable of doing it. What's wrong with having them battle it out and push each other all season long next year?

Fourth, if you get rid of Neuvy then you're only looking at Holtby as the next backup in the system. May I remind you that although Holtby is tearing it up at the AHL right now, he didn't start the season there. i.e. he has even less pro experience and i'm willing to bet the Caps org. wants him to have a full year there before entertaining the idea of having him on the Caps (see: Alzner, Carlson, etc).

Fifth, do you really want to sign a veteran back-up when we already have to resign Backstrom (RFA), Flash (RFA), Fehr (RFA), Schultz (RFA), Gordon (RFA), and make a decision on Pothier (UFA), ShaneMo (UFA), BMo (UFA). We might not have any money to sign a veteran goalie. Sure we can let all the d go and not resign any of them, but then the caps would only have 6 under contract next year (and that includes Sloan, Alzner and Carlson).

... The only validity to your argument is if you said, "unfortunately this was a wasted year for Varly in getting games in and experience. Therefore I dont feel comfortable automatically giving him the #1 slot next year. Combine that with his injury history and I would feel more comfortable with a more experienced and reliable veteran back-up."

I guess what I'm really trying to get at is, there are (and will be) other holes on the roster I would rather fill before getting a veteran goalie. When BMo leaves, we'll need another Center (thank god the Flash experiment is working otherwise we would have needed two). I also wouldn't mind seeing us make a run at Volchenkov too. Then, and only then, if there's enough money lying around would I maybe think about getting another goalie.

.... and if i'm completely wrong and the Caps deal Neuvy, then i promise not to post here for a long time.
    Last edited by bigity b; 02-04-2010 at 12:37 PM. Reason: I realize my post may be a bit rough and aggressive. I do apologize for that as I enjoy open debate with differing opinions.

vCash
    To add to the goalie talk, Holtby is an interesting piece. As bigity said, beyond him isn't much depth in the system. And he still has yet to make his NHL debut. The organization probably thinks highly of him, but these young guys are people we need to hold on to for as long as possible. Some team would have to BLOW us away for something to go down.
    Last edited by YanksNats1987; 02-04-2010 at 12:38 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123