Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    I would love to see the Caps add Scotty Neidermayer (and would over pay to do so) if not him, the only other appealing name to me right now is Hamhuis. .... Otherwise stay away from the rest of the names on the list because they dont "add" much (outside of kouivu and/or owen nolan which are two names I could be persuaded into trading for).

vCash
    Ok here our some UFA defensemen who could be available:
    -Scott Niedermayer
    -Willie Mitchell
    -Rob Blake
    -Adam Foote
    -Anton Volchenkov
    -Rostislav Klesa
    -Zybnev Michalek
    -Stephanie Robidas

*Would like the people in bold at the right price.

vCash
    I love Michalek, most underrated d-man in the league. Blocks shots and plays on the PK.

vCash
    (thought I would revive this thread as it's the closest we have to an official "trade rumor / discussion thread")

I have a confession. After seeing Ovie make Scotty Neidermayer look like a fool to break the game open (combined with ANA actually being in outside playoff contention) I have since soured on the idea of obtaining him as our missing piece. In fact, my obsession is completely gone. His skill level just isn't there anymore. If we were to get him my reaction would be ho-hum. I have since turned my attention to....

Anton Volchenkov and Barrett Jackman for two very different reasons....

First Volchenkov - He is my preferred choice, but is an UFA this off-season and therefore a flight risk. It would take something semi-impressive to obtain him and then we would have to hope he doesn't flee in the offseason. The scariest part isn't him leaving us but rather us not having enough room to re-sign him anyway! To get him, I think our best hope is to resign Backstrom to a reasonable deal (something that mirrors what the Chi kids got $5-$7 mil per yr) then hope we have enough to snag him in the offseason. ....

Second target is Jackman - This one actually makes too much sense and seems awfully feasible. Jackman is signed for the next three years at the very reasonable price of $3.5 mil per (that's ShaneMo's + Pothier's salary combined and they're both FA this offseason). He's just hitting his stride at 28 and is known as a shut-down dman who can lay the lumber every now and then. Now i'm not sure what it would take to get him (prospect + current dman + ?) but I do know there have been rumors the past few weeks that the Caps and Blues were talking.

Now, in my most far-fetched wildest dreams, if we were to get both we could be looking at a d-corp next year of Green-Jackman; Volchenkov-Schultz/Poti; Alzner-Carlson. Not too shabby at all and maybe our team strength. We just have to figure out what to do with Poti or Schultz, Erskine, and Sloan. (side note: acquiring Jackman AND Volchenkov is the only scenario I would be okay with getting rid of Schultz).

Thoughts? Any other rumors anyone is following?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bigity b View Post
    (thought I would revive this thread as it's the closest we have to an official "trade rumor / discussion thread")

I have a confession. After seeing Ovie make Scotty Neidermayer look like a fool to break the game open (combined with ANA actually being in outside playoff contention) I have since soured on the idea of obtaining him as our missing piece. In fact, my obsession is completely gone. His skill level just isn't there anymore. If we were to get him my reaction would be ho-hum. I have since turned my attention to....

Anton Volchenkov and Barrett Jackman for two very different reasons....

First Volchenkov - He is my preferred choice, but is an UFA this off-season and therefore a flight risk. It would take something semi-impressive to obtain him and then we would have to hope he doesn't flee in the offseason. The scariest part isn't him leaving us but rather us not having enough room to re-sign him anyway! To get him, I think our best hope is to resign Backstrom to a reasonable deal (something that mirrors what the Chi kids got $5-$7 mil per yr) then hope we have enough to snag him in the offseason. ....

Second target is Jackman - This one actually makes too much sense and seems awfully feasible. Jackman is signed for the next three years at the very reasonable price of $3.5 mil per (that's ShaneMo's + Pothier's salary combined and they're both FA this offseason). He's just hitting his stride at 28 and is known as a shut-down dman who can lay the lumber every now and then. Now i'm not sure what it would take to get him (prospect + current dman + ?) but I do know there have been rumors the past few weeks that the Caps and Blues were talking.

Now, in my most far-fetched wildest dreams, if we were to get both we could be looking at a d-corp next year of Green-Jackman; Volchenkov-Schultz/Poti; Alzner-Carlson. Not too shabby at all and maybe our team strength. We just have to figure out what to do with Poti or Schultz, Erskine, and Sloan. (side note: acquiring Jackman AND Volchenkov is the only scenario I would be okay with getting rid of Schultz).

Thoughts? Any other rumors anyone is following?
    Very intriguing. IMO Volchenkov, as much as I would love to get him, he's not going anywhere especially since Ottawa has been red-hot.

To be honest, I don't know much on Jackman. If he is a positionally sound top 4 Dman why not? I too have heard rumors that the Caps are talking to the Blues as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiz kids View Post
    Very intriguing. IMO Volchenkov, as much as I would love to get him, he's not going anywhere especially since Ottawa has been red-hot.

To be honest, I don't know much on Jackman. If he is a positionally sound top 4 Dman why not? I too have heard rumors that the Caps are talking to the Blues as well.
    Jackman is positionally sound but I would consider him more of a really good
    2nd pair defenseman. But the Caps are going to have to take whats available since Phaneuf is off the list and Scotty N probably not moving.

vCash
    Instead of Jackman, I've been thinking about it and I think the Caps are talking to the BLues about Eric Brewer, who I'd love to have.

vCash

We need something back there

I agree we need a big time shut down defensemen, but with the current streak and the D playing pretty good. Do you think Mcphee is quiet and takes his chances with what we have, and maybe make a move in the off season instead of now?
    Any word on when Varly is coming back? Theodore and Nuevy are fine for the time being, but it would be nice to get Varly back and get some time in the net before playoffs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by capitals40 View Post
    I agree we need a big time shut down defensemen, but with the current streak and the D playing pretty good. Do you think Mcphee is quiet and takes his chances with what we have, and maybe make a move in the off season instead of now?
    Any word on when Varly is coming back? Theodore and Nuevy are fine for the time being, but it would be nice to get Varly back and get some time in the net before playoffs.
    I'm hearing Varly's ready to go and he'll get rehab starts in Hershey.

If the Caps wanna win now then they make a move now. Obviously GMGM will not sacrifice the future of the organization to win now, but if the deals right he'll def. pull the trigger.

vCash

You're right about Volchenkov only because Ottawa has been red hot. Before their run, they were teetering on the playoffs and in the same position as Florida with JBo last year. There were rumors he was on the block because his FA status and Ottawa isnt afraid to pull the trigger in dmen deals (Chara, Redden, etc).

I think the Caps will pull the trigger on a deal for a few reasons 1) they have a few spare parts they won't be resigning this offseason (ShaneMo, Pothier, maybe Fehr, ...) 2) GMGM has always made at least one deal per deadline, no matter how minor the move (remember the Theo Ruth for Sergie Fedorov deal?) 3) Team teams chasing the Caps will make a move that could scare the caps. ex: yesterday I read a rumor from a respected publication that Pitt was scouting Jackman. We all know Pitt loves to make a big splash at the deadline (Hossa 2 years ago, Guerin last year). That alone right there should make the Caps trade for Jackman if not someone else.

vCash
    Instead of Jackman, I've been thinking about it and I think the Caps are talking to the BLues about Eric Brewer, who I'd love to have.
    Thats a name out of the Blue (no pun intended). I guess it all matters how StL will maximize their return from whichever player.

Today the rumor mill is citing the Caps have been scouting the Stars lately. I dont know why. There's no one on that roster that gets me excited, including Robidas....

vCash
    I don't think Brewer is going to be traded because he is the Captain of the Blues and he is a nice piece of the Blues.

I know Clark was traded as a captain but Clark was also destroyed by injuries and never really played to his potential from 05-06.

I honestly believe that if the Caps don't find a defenseman at the deadline that they might have to try and get an experienced goaltender who is playing well for this years run. Afterwards, Varly has to be the answer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bigity b View Post
    Thats a name out of the Blue (no pun intended). I guess it all matters how StL will maximize their return from whichever player.

Today the rumor mill is citing the Caps have been scouting the Stars lately. I dont know why. There's no one on that roster that gets me excited, including Robidas....
    I love Robidas, but they just re-signed him long term

I think it might be that we're scouting Jere Lehtinen or maybe even Mike Modano, Lehtinen on our third line would be an upgrade as well as Modano as our 3rd line C. I could be totally off though...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chocolayo View Post
    I honestly believe that if the Caps don't find a defenseman at the deadline that they might have to try and get an experienced goaltender who is playing well for this years run. Afterwards, Varly has to be the answer.

I have no idea what to believe anymore. Last night was another night where Jose stole the show when the Caps played poorly. I don't think they can trade for a goalie if they can't get a defenseman because Theodore last night just proved a whole lot to the coaching staff and GMGM. I'm scared though, Theodore as we all know usually chokes in the playoffs :\ but if he plays like he is right now in the playoffs, I don't believe the Capitals are going to have a problem getting extremely deep into the playoffs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chocolayo View Post
    I have no idea what to believe anymore. Last night was another night where Jose stole the show when the Caps played poorly. I don't think they can trade for a goalie if they can't get a defenseman because Theodore last night just proved a whole lot to the coaching staff and GMGM. I'm scared though, Theodore as we all know usually chokes in the playoffs :\ but if he plays like he is right now in the playoffs, I don't believe the Capitals are going to have a problem getting extremely deep into the playoffs.
    Um... Theo absolutely carried Montreal AND Colorado when they actually did make the playoffs when he was in net. You're probably thinking only about last year when BB pulled the trigger pretty quickly and was proven right by the emergence of Varly. ... Goalie is not our weak point and never has been this year. Theo's recent play (where he's stolen 3 games on this win streak) has solidified the idea that we're definately solid in net going into the playoffs with any combination of Theo, Varly, Neuvy. Besides, realistically did you really want to get rid of Theo and go into the playoffs with always hurt Varly and never tested Neuvy? Next year sure because the cast around will only get better as they get older, but not this year if you dont have to. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast