Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Would A Top Six Change Anything?

All the trade speculation, especially my Vinny wish, doesn't make much sense right now. The style of play and the bluk at the blueline doesn't seem to warrant that blockbuster trade. The team is healthy, Poullot fits in better than many of us expected, and Montreal has two quality goalies. Why make a move at this point? The team looks to be playoff material. What would the Habs really add, other than fretting and headaches around July 1?

New mantra for Bob: change your philosophy, start talks and sign some FA's before July. We were lucky last year, I'm not so sure you can afford to let these guys try the market.

vCash
    I'm assuming that last part was a reference to Plekanec's situation. If not, my bad.

But back to Pleks. Gainey can't even talk to Pleks and his agent about an extention until January 1st since Pleks signed a 1 year contract(it's a rule I've never heard of until this year). So yeah, he can't sign him even if he wanted to.

As for the Top 6 forward part, I dunno, we could use more scoring depth(any team could, even Washington). The problem though, is that we really have no tradeable assets that could net another Top 6 forward. As good as Halak has been, goalies aren't at a premium and haven't been in a few years(see Bryzgalov, Huet, etc.). That leaves picks and prospects, assets that really shouldn't be moved unless we're getting a premium scorer.
    2010 Eastern Conferance Standings: 95 Pts clinch

*1. Wsh- 103- XY
    *2. Pit- 87
    *3. Buf- 82
    4. NJ- 85
    5. Ott- 79
    6. Mtl- 78
    7. Phi- 76
    8. Bos- 74
    ---------------------------------------------
    9. NYR- 71
    10. Atl- 69
    11. TB- 68
    12. NYI- 67
    12. Fla- 66
    14. Car- 64
    15. Tor- 60

X- Clinched Playoffs
    Y- Clinched Division

vCash
    Plec and Bergeron come to mind.

vCash
    They're both in the same situation. Both signed 1 year deals and according to the CBA, a player on a 1 year contract can't negotiate or sign an extention until January 1st of that season. I've never heard of the rule until this year but it's there. But that isn't the case for other guys like Kostitsyn, Price, Halak, etc.
    2010 Eastern Conferance Standings: 95 Pts clinch

*1. Wsh- 103- XY
    *2. Pit- 87
    *3. Buf- 82
    4. NJ- 85
    5. Ott- 79
    6. Mtl- 78
    7. Phi- 76
    8. Bos- 74
    ---------------------------------------------
    9. NYR- 71
    10. Atl- 69
    11. TB- 68
    12. NYI- 67
    12. Fla- 66
    14. Car- 64
    15. Tor- 60

X- Clinched Playoffs
    Y- Clinched Division

vCash
    Almost all of scoring since Markov's return has come of the same set play, a feed to the slot. Montreal has to lead the league in scoring chances:shots taken.

I heard McSplooge talking about the January 1 stuff during the Latvia game. Gainey doesn't have ownership issues this go round.