Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: In comparison to Elite QB's stats; Who of the '09 Rookies has the most potential?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Matthew Stafford

10 66.67%
  • Mark Sanchez

3 20.00%
  • Josh Freeman

2 13.33%
    vCash

NFL's Elite QB's Vs. 2009 Rookies

I thought this might be an interesting way to look at the expectations that may be had for this years rookie QB's looking forward, if we compared them to some proven Elite QB's in the league in their rookie seasons, or first season with at least 15 games (For Elite). The comparisons are interesting.

Elite QB's
    Tom Brady 15 Games, 413 Att, 264 Comp, 63.9 Pct, 2,843 Yds, 18TD, 12Int, 86.5 Rating

Peyton Manning 16 Games, 575 Att, 326 Comp, 56.7 Pct, 3,739 Yds, 26TD, 28Int, 71.2 Rating

Drew Brees 16 Games, 526 Att, 320 Comp, 60.8 Pct, 3,284 Yds, 17TD, 16 Int, 76.9 Rating

Brett Favre 15 Games, 471 Att, 302 Comp, 64.1 Pct, 3,227 Yds, 18TD, 13 Int, 85.3 Rating

'09 Rookies
    Matthew Stafford 10 Games, 377 Att, 201 Comp, 53.3 Pct, 2,267 Yds, 13TD, 20 Int, 61.0 Rating.

Mark Sanchez 14 Games, 348 Att, 188 Comp, 54.0 Pct, 2,381 Yds, 12TD, 20 Int, 63.2 Rating

Josh Freeman 9 Games, 259 Att, 143 Comp, 55.2 Pct, 1,683 Yds, 9TD, 16 Int, 61.0 Rating.

The sample sizes for Freeman and Stafford are smaller, but they are formidable.
    The one promising factor for all three QB's is that the TD/INT rate for all of the QB's was not tremendous, just not quite as bad as they are for the '09 rookies, the ratings are also about 10.0 off for all of the 3 Rookies. You make your own judgements.

Who out of the three going by stats has the most potential? and do any of them seem to have the potential for elite status?
    Last edited by NY Greenman; 12-28-2009 at 05:48 PM.

vCash
    proves that the learning curve is steep for a QB making the move from a college QB to an NFL QB.

There are reasons why JM Russell will never a good NFL QB or why Tebow will never be a good NFL QB....the learning curve is just to big for them. The speed of the game is too fast....and so on...

NFC East Champs

Philadelphia Eagles = Zero Rings and Wishing

vCash
    As a Jets fan it is hard to say but all the Hype around Sanchez has fizzled out. Now I don't know if his struggles have come from the fact that he had next to no college experience and is learning more than he should along the way in the NFL, or he is just going to be an average QB when looking at the comparisons.

For Stafford, he had way too many attempts in 10 games for a Rookie. They need to get him a running game, because no rookie should have that many attempts. He would have been on pace with Manning had he stayed healthy, with a way worse pick to TD ratio.

As for Freeman, I think he has alot of potential, he just needs a bigger sample size, and the Bucs chose him knowing that he was going to be a project.

vCash
    I think if the stats show anything, it is that a rookie QB ideally should not have over 500 attempts in his first season. Brady and Favre had much better ratings than Brees and Manning, and I think Stafford would have done much better with a team that had a running game.

vCash
    i believe both Stafford and Sanchez will have good NFL careers, Stafford has the higher ceiling because his arm strength is better and it helps he has Calvin Johnson. Sanchez makes great decisions at times and horrible ones at other points but that is expected being that he is a rookie. I have not watched Freeman play yet and I have never watched him in college either so I can't really give a fair analysis of him. He has had a few solid games like the Green Bay one but others are going to have to enlighten me on what this guy is all about.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

vCash
    Like Stafford, Freeman has a great arm, but Freeman is "raw" he needs to catch up to NFL speed and read his route better. Sanchez has a similar problem, he is a smart fooball player, but he needs to know how to check all of his options quickly, while at the same time look for the oncoming defenders

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Greenman View Post
    Like Stafford, Freeman has a great arm, but Freeman is "raw" he needs to catch up to NFL speed and read his route better. Sanchez has a similar problem, he is a smart fooball player, but he needs to know how to check all of his options quickly, while at the same time look for the oncoming defenders
    One of the things Sanchez has going for him as opposed to the other QB's is that he does have a good offensive line which will prevent him from getting murdered back there. This will also help him with his reads because he won't be thinking I need to get rid of the ball fast instead he will grow. Exactly why Stafford has gotten hurt already he has an awful 0-line. These guys all seem like normal rookies that can develop into something really good, last year was an abnormality with Flacco and Ryan
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

vCash
    Just from what i've seen, i'd say Stafford has the most potential of the three. My only question is, will Detroit draft players and sign players that give Stafford the opportunity to play up to his potential? Will they get a run game? Will they get an o-line? Will they get a defense who can actually put him in position to win a game?

If they do this, IMO, he will be a great QB.
    Jordy Nelson 2014 Stats
    Receptions: 18 | Yards: 292 | TDs: 1 | Avg: 16.2

vCash
    Stafford has the higher ceiling/potential

Right now its a toss up. If it wasnt for that monstrous game that Stafford had against Cleveland his stats would be much worse.

Also you cant compare Favre and Brady to these guys. Since they sat out a season before taking the field. Which is why they have a better rating, which gives strength to the reason why you should bench rookie QB's

Its actually safer to compare 1st-2nd seasons of the QB's who started as rookies compared to measurables. Like Manning, Eli, Flacco, Ryan