Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Yeah, But Look Who've Beaten...

Exactly! Our guys are beating team we're supposed to beat if this a playoff squad. So we're out shot 2-1, it's scoring chances and the ability to capitalize. Big flip if Montreal is shorthanded more than the opposition, we score with the powerplay and they don't. And when Gionta returns, Montreal will have THREE scoring lines.

The return of Markov has changed the play significantly. I think that CP31 will have similar success with Markov in front of him. Four in a row and a huge week with games in the Corndog Palace and Florida (Ryan, stay out of the bars in Tampa). Gomez looks to have regain a bit of something with nice passes and even a shot or two on goal. Plekanec continues his torrid run to an outrageous contract. It'd be nice to see ManCrush show up for one of these games. He's been MIA since Long Island!

Why not 14 points in seven games?

vCash
    We need to stop giving up so many shots...The only reason we are winning 4 in a row is because of the guy between the pipes..We aren't drawing many PPs, so that is out the window...We need to upgrade at the C position..We suck on the face off circle...
    [img]http://****************************/uploads/U426-1308359653.png[/img]

vCash
    The shots have been really deceiving(except for tonight, the shots were accurate about how they played). Most of the shots Halak has seen have been weak and non-scoring chances from the boards with no one in front of him. Point is, he's seeing everything and when a goalie sees everything, he makes the saves.
    2010 Eastern Conferance Standings: 95 Pts clinch

*1. Wsh- 103- XY
    *2. Pit- 87
    *3. Buf- 82
    4. NJ- 85
    5. Ott- 79
    6. Mtl- 78
    7. Phi- 76
    8. Bos- 74
    ---------------------------------------------
    9. NYR- 71
    10. Atl- 69
    11. TB- 68
    12. NYI- 67
    12. Fla- 66
    14. Car- 64
    15. Tor- 60

X- Clinched Playoffs
    Y- Clinched Division

vCash
    Tonight, yes, but for the most part Halak is seeing nothing more than routine shots from the point with absolutely no one in front of him. He could stop 99/100 shots on a regular basis under that scenario. The Leafs were the first team this week to really test Halak.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs n Jays Fan View Post
    The shots have been really deceiving(except for tonight, the shots were accurate about how they played). Most of the shots Halak has seen have been weak and non-scoring chances from the boards with no one in front of him. Point is, he's seeing everything and when a goalie sees everything, he makes the saves.
    We're on the exact page save the fact you're getting posted faster. Just another example of how a citizen of Quebec is getting hosed by the government

vCash
    What games have you guys been watching? lol..

I counted 3 breakaways just tonight alone that Halak has had to bail out his defense...He has taken a number of quality scoring chances away from the opposition..We are getting out played in just about every aspect of the game except between the pipes...That is not going to last forever...

vCash
    It seems to me that Jaro has slightly outplayed Price in the last 2 seasons...Hmmm..

Jaro's #s..
    27-19-1 Record
    2.71 GAA
    .918 Save %

Price's #s..
    32-29-13 Record
    2.79 GAA
    .908 Save %

*This is their Averages for the last 2 seasons...

Why is Price considered "The Future" of this team when Halak is, by the numbers, a better goalie?

vCash
    Based on last night, I'd agree, but in terms of Carolina, NYI, and Atlanta, no. Carolina was shooting without any traffic or screens. The defence packed it down and all of the Hurricane shots over that last 35 minutes were nothing more than practice type chances. Atlanta and the Islanders had few serious scoring chances, but not much more.

When Gainey took over behind the bench, that was it for Halak. In his last start, Halak stoned Dallas in a game we had zero reason to win (a theme for the team since the 2007-08 playoffs). Halak doesn't have a record of letting in soft goals, like CP, but he also isn't as quick and has limit range.

I think a better subject would be "Why is Laraque still on the team?"

vCash
    Halak will never be a legit #1 goalie because his rebound control and puck handling abilities are bloody awful. Until he fixes those, he'll always be a 1a or 1b goalie on a team. Price is only 22 years old and was rushed into the NHL(a mistake on Gainey's part). If you look at Price's numbers last year before his ankle injury(16-4-5, 2.30 GAA, .921 SV%), their was absolutely ZERO Halak support.

Now look at this season, who have the goalies played against?

Price:
    Tor, Buf, Van, Edm, Col, Ott, Pit, Chi, Chi, Bos, TB, Phx, Nsh, Car, Wsh, Det, Cls, Pit, Wsh, Tor, Bos, Phl, Pit, Atl, NJ, Min
    =Bold indicates teams ahead of Montreal as of today
    **Atlanta has been ahead of Montreal all season up until last night

18 of 26 games vs teams better then Montreal

Halak:
    Cgy, Van, Atl, NYR, NYI, NYI, Pit, Tor, Cgy, Buf, Ott, Buf, NYI, Atl, Car, Tor

9 of 16 games vs teams worse then Montreal

*1. Wsh- 103- XY
    *2. Pit- 87
    *3. Buf- 82
    4. NJ- 85
    5. Ott- 79
    6. Mtl- 78
    7. Phi- 76
    8. Bos- 74
    9. NYR- 71
    10. Atl- 69
    11. TB- 68
    12. NYI- 67
    12. Fla- 66
    14. Car- 64
    15. Tor- 60

X- Clinched Playoffs
    Y- Clinched Division

vCash
    You do realize we are one of those teams without Halak's current play..
    Makes no difference what teams they face..He has made the save when called upon a lot more than Price has...

I am not entirely sold on Price..He lets in the weakest goals in this most inopportune times and deflates the team..Goaltending is 20% skill and 80% mental...

Although Price has the higher ceiling in terms of skill, Halak is a more sound tender between the ears and doesn't lose focus quite as much..A goalie without focus is no better than hanging a jersey from the crossbar..

Price is weak between the ears and from what I have seen from the kid, he lacks focus..He can't carry the load for any extended amount of time..It seems he gets tired or loses his edge..Can't explain why that happens..

All I know is Halak has out played Carey for the better of the last 2 seasons and we can't keep both..One has to be moved eventually and I would much rather have the goalie that steals wins..Who ever that may be...But, right now it's the Halak show..

vCash
    You know who else gives up a lot of weak goals? Martin Brodeur. You watch Brodeur play and the goals he lets in, it's absolutely mind-boggling as to how someone that talented lets in such weak goals. Yes, Price needs to gain more confidence in his ability but compared to the 2nd half of last year, Price has been much, much better this year and if not for his play in November, we'd be looking like Carolina today. Price has kept the team competitive in nearly all his starts. He's given up 4+ goals in a game just 3 times where as Halak has given up 4+ goals 6 times in nearly half the games Price has played.

Halak right now, doesn't have the skill to be a legit #1 goalie on a Cup contender. Like I siad before, his rebound control and puck handling ability are bloody awful. Price sucks in shots and directs his rebounds to the corners, like a goalie should do. Halak's play will not last and when he finally faces an upper echelon team, he's going to be exposed and exposed badly, just like he was against Buffalo and Pittsburgh.

*1. Wsh- 103- XY
    *2. Pit- 87
    *3. Buf- 82
    4. NJ- 85
    5. Ott- 79
    6. Mtl- 78
    7. Phi- 76
    8. Bos- 74
    9. NYR- 71
    10. Atl- 69
    11. TB- 68
    12. NYI- 67
    12. Fla- 66
    14. Car- 64
    15. Tor- 60

X- Clinched Playoffs
    Y- Clinched Division

vCash
    ..or the way Price has been? lol

The object of a tender is keep the puck out of the net, not playing it..lol

Last time I checked, Hasek was one of the worst at handling the puck..I'm pretty sure he is a HOFer...

..and I am pretty sure Roy was pretty terrible handling the puck, as well...
    Last edited by DonnieE; 12-27-2009 at 03:25 PM.

vCash
    Road games and Markov. Price gets this rap about being a head case because he will not schmooze Le Presse and Bertrand Raymond. There is no job tougher in any sport than being the goaltender for Montreal. Price is BC laid back, nothing more.

Gander over forums around here when teams play Montreal. There will always be a snide Price comment and how he sucks. But you know, aside from Buffalo and the Rangers, everyone would kill to have Price playing for their team and they would immediately bark how stupid Montreal was for giving up on a 22 year old. Luongo wasn't ready at 22, Tin-tin Thomas wasn't ready at[I]32[/I, let alone 22. Price is the future.

This is why I don't want to see Halak as the sole top goalie, he can give up soft goals (never mind the head shot) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0emzMJ6FiwQ.
    Last edited by McMikel; 12-27-2009 at 06:23 PM.

vCash
    lol..We all know Price never gives up soft goals...(eyes roll)

You show me a video of Halak giving up a soft goal..Why? The fact is, he is winning the job right now...Where is Price? Watching from the press box...

Why do Hab fans think Price is the future? Halak is almost as young and is out playing him...

Last time I checked, Halak is a Montreal Canadien and I am hoping he is the guy going forward...

Sure Price is only 22...Halak is 24..What is your point? Truth is..Halak is a better goalie..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnieE View Post
    lol..We all know Price never gives up soft goals...(eyes roll)

You show me a video of Halak giving up a soft goal..Why? The fact is, he is winning the job right now...Where is Price? Watching from the press box...

Why do Hab fans think Price is the future? Halak is almost as young and is out playing him...

Last time I checked, Halak is a Montreal Canadien and I am hoping he is the guy going forward...

Sure Price is only 22...Halak is 24..What is your point? Truth is..Halak is a better goalie..
    Agree completely. Martin said today's today, tommorow's tommorow, regarding the issue around Halak and the trade demand. Gainey bringing in Martin has to be the smartest thing he's done yet for one obvious reason, he knows WHICH goalie is capable of leading our team and which isn't.

I love Price in Montreal, and would be sad to see him go, but let's face reality guys, Halak is our goalie. He's been amazing and not only us in general can see that, the whole league has been taking notice to Halak the last 2 and a half weeks. If we let Halak go, by trade, by an offer sheet, etc., I think it'll be a big mistake. Why do I see Price in a Flyers uniform instead of Halak... Because Halak has proven he wants to be a starter, and what the Habs need is a capable, CONSISTENT, starter.

I'm on the Halak wagon and hope he don't go, he's showing what it means to wear that sweater and be a Montreal Canadien.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast