Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    vCash
    The one key that the Blue Jays definitely had over the Braves in 1992 was their bullpen. I think that the Braves starters may have actually out-pitched their Blue Jay counterparts (except for Key over Glavine in Game Four and maybe Guzman over Avery in Game One), but the Blue Jays got exceptional work from Todd Stottlemyre, David Wells and Duane Ward throughout the series. The Braves middle relief such as Mark Wohlers and Mike Stanton didn't pitch badly either, but their closer Jeff Reardon, as we know, was on the mound for the losses in Games Two and Three although I don't think he was ultimately credited with that loss. In Game Six, the Jays got their win off of Charlie Leibrandt who I believe hadn't pitched in the series until that point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by will_87 View Post
    The one key that the Blue Jays definitely had over the Braves in 1992 was their bullpen. I think that the Braves starters may have actually out-pitched their Blue Jay counterparts (except for Key over Glavine in Game Four and maybe Guzman over Avery in Game One), but the Blue Jays got exceptional work from Todd Stottlemyre, David Wells and Duane Ward throughout the series. The Braves middle relief such as Mark Wohlers and Mike Stanton didn't pitch badly either, but their closer Jeff Reardon, as we know, was on the mound for the losses in Games Two and Three although I don't think he was ultimately credited with that loss. In Game Six, the Jays got their win off of Charlie Leibrandt who I believe hadn't pitched in the series until that point.
    Yes our bullpen was sick in 92. We had two future 20 game winners in Wells and Hentgen there. Henke and Ward were probably one of the best ever 8/9 inning combo's and guys like Leiter, Timlin and Eichhorn were great. Not to mention a injured and declined but still heart and soul guy Steib.
    Vancouver Canucks
    Toronto Blue Jays
    San Francisco 49's

vCash
    I had forgotten that sportsnet was showing the games this week until my Dad reminded me. Just watched Gruber hit a home run to tie the game!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_at_york View Post
    I had forgotten that sportsnet was showing the games this week until my Dad reminded me. Just watched Gruber hit a home run to tie the game!
    UGGHHH!!! Spoiler alert...
    Last edited by mtf; 12-27-2012 at 08:14 PM.

vCash

15-14

Against Phillies in rain soaked 5 hr game

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sheps88 View Post
    Against Phillies in rain soaked 5 hr game
    The Jays were down what 14-9 going into the 8th?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by p4p View Post
    How about Kelly Gruber hitting for the cycle against KC is another IMO that should be added on the list.
    I don't think cycles are a big deal. Arencibia hit better than the cycle in his ML debute (HR, double, single, HR) and yet that game doesn't get talked about much. I'm sure there have been a number of Blue Jays that have hit better than the cycle and it gets overlooked. If I include Grubber's and Frye's cycles then I should include Arencibia's game as well plus any other game where a Blue Jay who has hit similar which I feel is quite numerous.

Just the way I feel about it. If others want it on there then I'll include it but I wouldn't mind hearing other opinions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFanGuy View Post
    I don't think cycles are a big deal. Arencibia hit better than the cycle in his ML debute (HR, double, single, HR) and yet that game doesn't get talked about much. I'm sure there have been a number of Blue Jays that have hit better than the cycle and it gets overlooked. If I include Grubber's and Frye's cycles then I should include Arencibia's game as well plus any other game where a Blue Jay who has hit similar which I feel is quite numerous.

Just the way I feel about it. If others want it on there then I'll include it but I wouldn't mind hearing other opinions.
    I think it is how you interpret the original question. I don't think a April 16, 1989 game against the Kansas City Royals is significant in the history of the franchise, but you can certainly discuss Gruber's cycle in any "greatest individual games by a Jay" topic. I personally believe that this topic is dedicated more towards games that had an impact on the franchise as a whole.

vCash
    Today's 18-inning marathon is going on the wall.

vCash
    ^ Todays game was the definition of futility, should be remembered for its pathetic RISP numbers by both teams!

vCash
    JPA's career debut was awesome. I was at that game. What a good time.

vCash
    Yeah that was a great game.

Another one for me is the day Robbie Alomar (June 4, 1991 vs Baltimore) swiped four bags. First time I had ever seen it. That was the day I realized what a special player Robbie was.

vCash
    What about Father's Day 2003 at home against the Cubs when Reed Johnson hit a lead-off homer to start the game and a walk-off homer to end it? Pretty sure that game had something to do with the Cubs signing him as a FA after leaving the Jays!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
    JPA's career debut was awesome. I was at that game. What a good time.
    I remember it...wasn't Morrow no hit bid lost in ninth inning

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    I remember it...wasn't Morrow no hit bid lost in ninth inning
    Of a game that the Jays won 17-11? If Morrow lost a no hit bid in the 9th and they proceeded to give up 11 runs, that would be shameful.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast