Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs n Jays Fan View Post
    Jim Clancy had a perfect game going into the 9th once and I believe he had another 1 or 2 no-no's hitters go into at least the 8th but got broken up.
    i found it sept 28, 1982 aganst the twins.

vCash
    i dug up this old thread and i'm going to add morrow's game today to the list because that def deserves to be on there.

vCash
    Carter's homer run in GM: 6 of the 93 world series,
    Halladay's near no hitter in 1998,
    Morrow's near no hitter today,
    and Delgado's four home runs

In that order are the best games in Blue Jays history.

vCash
    all 12 world series games....then you can argue about the rest
    Beeston: "we should be able to support a $140-$150 million payroll and that's the direction that we're headed."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFanGuy View Post
    hello jays fans.

i've become a fan of this team myself over the years. more specifically around 04/05. i've always known of their existance but it's just within the last few years that i've become hardcore. i know we're at a low point in team history but i still cant quite keep myself away from this team. i understand that's it's going to be sometime until there is any real contention, but i do like what aa has done up to this point, considering the circumstances.

even though i do not enjoy those flashback fridays (waste of resources and effort imo), i still find myself curious about the past of this team. i have spoken to some older fans about games that standout in their minds, to which have been described to me from their perspectives or which i have a vague recollection about but was too young remember or didn't care as much as i do now.

i have compiled a list of these games in hope to one day be able to see them (or hear them if no video broadcast exists). my question to blue jays country is: is there any games that stand out the most in your minds that you would considered as being "the greatest blue jays games" ever? i would be curious about the delgado years or any of the early years. would anyone know how i would be able to get any of these games for my own veiwing pleasure?
    This is an awesome list of games!!! You should post them from oldest to newest and not from newest to oldest. That way you can keep adding to it as time goes on. Hopefully we'll have other games like Morrow's that can be added to the list in the coming years.

I can remember Delgado's 4 home run game and almost everything after that. I was at McGowan's near no hitter and that 18-inning game was a nailbiter, fell asleep in class the next morning. My Blue Jays' memory vaguely starts with Halladay's near no hitter. I was too young to remember the World Series and have absolutely no recollection of anything from the 80's.

I would die to see every game on this list!!! I agree that the organization should package these things up and sell them. That's a great idea. You should work for their marketing department. Just think, fans like me who have never seen greats likes George Bell, Dave Steib, or Roberto Alomar play, will actually see them play.

vCash
    I was at game 6 in the ALCS in '93 when the Jays eliminated the Chicago Frank Thomases.

I remember watching that game and crying. I was 10.

vCash
    jeff reardon should go on the wall of fame for his contributions to the 92 ring.

Imagine how different stieb's legacy would be today if he had the 5 No hitters.
    Beeston: "we should be able to support a $140-$150 million payroll and that's the direction that we're headed."

vCash
    You asked earlier who were the Blue Jays with no-hitters going into the ninth. I found the two that you're missing:

-June 6 1985 Jimmy Key against Detroit
    -June 6 1995 David Cone against Texas

Here's a link: http://milkeespress.com/lostninth.html

It's funny how they're exactly 10 years apart to the day. I didn't even know David Cone was ever a Blue Jay.

vCash
    jc

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wamco View Post
    Imagine how different stieb's legacy would be today if he had the 5 No hitters.
    Who cares about legacy? The actual difference between getting those last 6 total outs and not getting them is extremely negligible, and they wouldn't make him a better pitcher on some grand scale over the course of a 2900 IP career. He was a great pitcher, but 6 outs is exactly 0.2% of his career. To judge his legacy greatly based on 0.2% of what he accomplished (or didn't accomplish) is quite frankly absurd.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RR Cool Jay View Post
    You asked earlier who were the Blue Jays with no-hitters going into the ninth. I found the two that you're missing:

-June 6 1985 Jimmy Key against Detroit
    -June 6 1995 David Cone against Texas

Here's a link: http://milkeespress.com/lostninth.html

It's funny how they're exactly 10 years apart to the day. I didn't even know David Cone was ever a Blue Jay.
    good find. consider them added.
    so the 6 jays that have had no-hitters going into the ninth are stieb, clancy, halladay, mcgowan, key and cone. morrow makes 7.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wamco View Post
    all 12 world series games....then you can argue about the rest
    x2

vCash
    I did a search to find this thread. I have a question and I think it belongs here.

I was listening to the radio the other day and they were talking about the greatest homer in Jays history. They mentioned Carter's homer and Alomar's homer in playoffs. But they also mentioned Ed Sprague's homer in some playoff game too. My question is: in what game was this? Should this game also be considered one of the greatest? I was way too young to remember anything post season for the Blue Jays.

What was the greatest homer in Jays history?

vCash
    If my memory serves me right I believe you are referring to Game 2 of 1992 World Series? Sprague hit it off Jeff Reardon of the Atlanta Braves. It was definitely one of most important homeruns in Jays history and one I had forgotten about. Thanks for bringing this up!

Jays had lost Game 1 and Game 2 looked to be slipping away. Jays were down by a run in the ninth inning with legendary closer Jeff Reardon coming out of the bullpen. Things did not look good for us at the moment!! Somebody got on, forget who it was now and Sprague(then a rookie), hit a Reardon fastball over left field fence. I should go to youtube and see if any videos of it on there. Refresh my memory

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RR Cool Jay View Post
    I did a search to find this thread. I have a question and I think it belongs here.

I was listening to the radio the other day and they were talking about the greatest homer in Jays history. They mentioned Carter's homer and Alomar's homer in playoffs. But they also mentioned Ed Sprague's homer in some playoff game too. My question is: in what game was this? Should this game also be considered one of the greatest? I was way too young to remember anything post season for the Blue Jays.

What was the greatest homer in Jays history?
    Quote Originally Posted by GNick View Post
    If my memory serves me right I believe you are referring to Game 2 of 1992 World Series? Sprague hit it off Jeff Reardon of the Atlanta Braves. It was definitely one of most important homeruns in Jays history and one I had forgotten about. Thanks for bringing this up!

Jays had lost Game 1 and Game 2 looked to be slipping away. Jays were down by a run in the ninth inning with legendary closer Jeff Reardon coming out of the bullpen. Things did not look good for us at the moment!! Somebody got on, forget who it was now and Sprague(then a rookie), hit a Reardon fastball over left field fence. I should go to youtube and see if any videos of it on there. Refresh my memory
    Look at post #13 of this thread. I concur
    Last edited by StealingSigns; 05-21-2011 at 03:47 AM.
    Blue Jays Ace Todd Redmond

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast