Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    You would think you would name the great knuckleball pitchers of the past as opposed to "just" great pitchers. Like, Hoyt Wilheim, The Niekro Brothers and Charlie Hough. As a convert, you truly haven't embraced the history and belief of a knuckleballer.
    Despite being knuckleballers, Wilhelm, Bros. Neikro, Hough, etc did not spend the first 10 years of their careers trying to make it as non knuckleballers as Dickey did.

You might compare Dickey with Jim Bouton but even he isn't a good example since Dickey never had anything close to Bouton's pre-knuckleball success.

Dickey is truly carving out his own path.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY_Heartbreak View Post
    Like I keep saying, if you guys truly believe that RA is a flash in the pan, that's fine. But at least embrace the fact that he has won us 6 games so far, and has solidified the rotation. You don't have to believe that he will keep this up, but what he's done so far will be very important down the road this season. Those 6 wins may mean the playoffs or going home. And he isn't stopping at 6.
    That's asking for too much. But I bet you that as soon as Dickey gives up 5 runs in 1 inn, you'll hear them loud and clear....
    -----

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockturnal View Post
    That's asking for too much. But I bet you that as soon as Dickey gives up 5 runs in 1 inn, you'll hear them loud and clear....
    He's 6-0 in 7 starts. He's going to get knocked around at some point.

But for some perspective, Ollie Perez and John Maine have never given the Mets a stretch of 7 games like this in their entire careers that I can recall.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    That Church of Dickey has a healthy congregation, healthy indeed.

"Blessed are those who have not seen, and yet believe!"

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash

Oh, the congregation indeed has seen, as seeing is believing. Unfortunately there are still those who refuse to believe what they are seeing. The congregation of the C of D will continue to pray that these lost souls might someday see the light that is Robert Alan.

vCash
    RA is unique in several ways: 1) Except for Joe Niekro, all the other knucklers in recent years have much slower knucklers; 2) RA can control two different speeds with the knuckler, he has a hard one, and one that one Detroit player described as a "change up" knuckler, both of which are lively and move; 3) RA has exceptional control of the knuckler, walking very few people (2 walks in 8 innings last night), so you can't sit on the knuckler, and 4) He was a serviceable (not good) conventional pitcher at one time... so he can throw a decent fast ball when he needs one.. Hence, Dickey is multi-dimensional for a knuckler and can totally confuse good hitting teams. RA developed a whole new "set" of pitches and learned how to use them in 4 years, one's not easy to learn - especially with control - so comparison to his early years history before then is meaningless... RA was a work in progress, and he seems to have it all together now - it also doesn't hurt to have Blanco and Barrajas catching him and strategizing with him on calling the game...
    Last edited by Titan_Fan; 06-24-2010 at 11:53 AM.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan_Fan View Post
    it also doesn't hurt to have Blanco and Barrajas catching him and strategizing with him on calling the game...
    I don't think this point should be understated.

vCash
    Haha Dickey...

vCash
    Igarashi, Takahashi, Jacobs, Blanco, Coste, Barajas, Dickey, Escobar, Catalannatto, Matthews, etc...you sign enough **it and some of it will stick to the wall. From the list above the two catchers we kept and Taka and RA have exceeded expectations while the rest have been disappointments. Goes to show that sometimes quantity yields quality. In December I still clamored for a solid starter and do so now....whether it be a smart deal for Oswalt, Lee, Carmona, etc....just in case one of the two surprises falters and/or if we would be better of with Taka in the pen.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rdg515 View Post
    Igarashi, Takahashi, Jacobs, Blanco, Coste, Barajas, Dickey, Escobar, Catalannatto, Matthews, etc...you sign enough **it and some of it will stick to the wall. From the list above the two catchers we kept and Taka and RA have exceeded expectations while the rest have been disappointments. Goes to show that sometimes quantity yields quality. In December I still clamored for a solid starter and do so now....whether it be a smart deal for Oswalt, Lee, Carmona, etc....just in case one of the two surprises falters and/or if we would be better of with Taka in the pen.
    Great, you want another starter. Who are you willing to give up? Define "smart deal?"

vCash
    Lee = Fmart, Familia, Tejada, and a low level prospect and maybe Thole if neccessary

Crossed the Rubicon, let the bridge be burned
    vCash
    I guess Jerry believes in milestones only when it is someone elses milestone. Dickey should have been allowed to come out for the 9th.

Jerry Manuel said he had no problem with D-Backs manager A.J. Hinch leaving Edwin Jackson in to finish off his no-hitter Friday night vs. Tampa Bay, despite needing 149 pitches to do it. In fact, Manuel thinks that whole pitch count thing is a little overblown.

"I don't think you can interfere with history, with a guy trying to make history. You got to give him every opportunity to do that," Manuel said. "I don't have a problem with (leaving Jackson in). I think to some degree, back in the day ... they used to throw about 150 pitches a game. I think we've probably taken (pitch counts) a little too far for me.

"But I do think that's because we have taken it so far that we have trained the mind to think that it can only throw a certain amount of pitches. Now all of a sudden if you train to finish the game, regardless of what it took, I think the pitch counts would be different. I think it's our fault in training people to be somewhat limited because we think an injury is a possibility."

NY Daily News
    '

His pitch count comments are also hypocritical.
    Last edited by NoQuarter; 06-29-2010 at 07:41 AM.
    RIP Paul Kuznetz aka uapeople

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I'm all for Bay playing everyday. I don't mind, I understand with the contract situation.

vCash
    Dickey has been pitching in and out of trouble a lot, sooner or later that was bound to catch him up.

vCash

When Dickey beats the Pirates AND the Astros, I will become a believer. Until then only a skeptic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    He's 6-0 in 7 starts. He's going to get knocked around at some point.

But for some perspective, Ollie Perez and John Maine have never given the Mets a stretch of 7 games like this in their entire careers that I can recall.

They both have. Maine was lights out for almost the entire first half of '07, and I recall in '08 Perez had a lights out stretch.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast