Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Yankees vs. Red Sox by position

I was bored and was thinking about comparing the Red Sox and the Yankees by position. I would be interested in your opinion. I'm doing infield first.

Catcher: Jorge Posada or Victor Martinez
    Posada was a better defensive catcher but look at Martinez's numbers hitting wise. While Jorge Posada's numbers were very good, Martinez was great with the Red Sox and gets the edge.
    Advantage Red Sox

1B: Adrian Gonzalez *(Unlikely but plausible trade) or Mark Teixiera
    Very very hard choice. Gonzlaez is a better hitter by more than a little, but Teixera's fielding is very good. But Gonzalez hit more home runs in Petco.
    Advantage Red Sox
    2B: Pedroia vs. Cano
    Cano is a great hitter and decent fielder. Pedroia is a much better fielder but Cano has great stats. Who would I rather have? Pedroia, but Cano is better
    Advantage Yankees
    3B: Alex Rodriguez or Kevin Youkillis
    Two of the best players in the league, but Alex hit 30 home runs 100 RBIs while missing a lot of the season. Youkillis is great but Arod is better
    SS: Derek Jeter or Marco Scutaro
    While Scutaro is a good SS, Derek Jeter is a hall of famer and is way better fielding and hitting.
    Advantage Yankees

3 Yankees, 2 Red Sox
    Pretty close. I will be posting outfield then Pitching

vCash
    On page 2 there is a thread: Compare: Yankees vs Red Sox

with 58 posts, please attach this to that, and mod please close this.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Outfield time.
    Ok this is assuming that Granderson plays LF, and the Yankees don't get Matt Holliday or Jason Bay (god forbid )

LF: Granderson vs. Ellsbury
    Granderson is a better power hitter, but Ellsbury stole 70 bases, about one every 2 games. Ellsbury hit 50 points higher and is faster. Pretty close race. But Ellsbury gets the edge because he will do better in LF because of his below average arm strength (CFs need more arm strength)
    Advantage Red Sox
    CF: Cameron vs. Cabrera
    Cabrera posted a really bad .949 fielding percentage, while Cameron posted a .990. Cameron's career fielding percentage is .987. Cameron posted a better OBP, Home runs, and RBIs. The only thing Cabrera did better was average (offset by Cameron having a better OBP) and Strikeouts (no comment )
    RF: Drew vs. Nick Swisher
    Very close here. Drew had a better average by 30 points, Swisher had 5 more home runs and 14 more RBIs. Drew's OPS was 45 points better. Drews OBP was 20 points better. Swishers fielding percentage was .980. Drew's was .993 I think. 14 more RBIs and 5 more home runs is not much to compete with Drew.
    Advantage Red Sox

Wow sweep in the outfield. But if the Yankees get Bay or Holliday, no sweep. Pitching coming soon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    On page 2 there is a thread: Compare: Yankees vs Red Sox

with 58 posts, please attach this to that, and mod please close this.
    Yikes didn't know. Yeah mods do that. I'll post the pitching one on the other thread. Thanks

vCash
    Ok this is assuming that Granderson plays LF, and the Yankees don't get Matt Holliday or Jason Bay (god forbid )
    why not? everyones assuming we're going to get Adrian Gonzalez.....

vCash
    If we go with the team the Sox have now (Kotchman at 1st, Youk at 3rd, Ellsbury in left) and the team the Yankees currently have (Melky in left, Granderson in center, Mitre as the 5th starter) here's how they compare.

C - Advantage Red Sox by 1 WAR the last 2 years.

1B - Advantage Yankees by 10 WAR the last 2 years.

2B - Advantage Red Sox by 7 WAR the last 2 years.

SS - Advantage Yankees by 3.8 WAR the last 2 years.

3B - Advantage Red Sox by 0.8 WAR the last 2 years.

LF - Advantage Red Sox by 3.5 WAR the last 2 years.

CF - Advantage Red Sox by 1.3 WAR the last 2 years.

RF - Advantage Red Sox by 4.3 WAR the last 2 years.

1st Starter (Sabathia/Lester) - Yankees by 2.2 WAR the last 2 years.

2nd Starter (Burnett/Beckett) - Red Sox by 1.7 WAR the last 2 years.

3rd Starter (Pettitte/Lackey) - Yankees by 1.8 WAR the last 2 years.

4th Starter (Matsuzaka/Chamberlain) - Yankees by 1 WAR the last 2 years.

5th Starter (Wakefield/Mitre) - Red Sox by 1.1 WAR the last 2 years.

Just looking at those positions, the Sox have the advantage at 8 of 13 positions by a net 1.9 WAR. Both teams are very close.
    "Progressiveness is a cancer in America... you must eradicate it."
    -Glenn Beck

vCash
    Pitching

Sabathia vs. Beckett
    Sabathia wins this one easily. Beckett is good, but Sabathia was very good last season.
    Advantage Yankees
    Lester vs. Burnett
    Pretty easy here. Lester
    Advantage Red Sox
    Pettite vs. Lackey
    Not that close, Lackey posted a much better ERA last season and is a better pitcher
    Red Sox
    Chamberlain vs. Dice-K
    Chamberlain is hard to judge. He was very good then turned bad. Dice-K is like this too.
    Advantage Tie
    Hughes vs. Wakefield
    Another tough one. We don't know how good hughes is as a SP, and Wakefield constantly has a 4.5 or lower ERA
    Advantage Red Sox

3 Red Sox 1 Yankee 1 Tie

Post your opinions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    If we go with the team the Sox have now (Kotchman at 1st, Youk at 3rd, Ellsbury in left) and the team the Yankees currently have (Melky in left, Granderson in center, Mitre as the 5th starter) here's how they compare.

C - Advantage Red Sox by 1 WAR the last 2 years.

1B - Advantage Yankees by 10 WAR the last 2 years.

2B - Advantage Red Sox by 7 WAR the last 2 years.

SS - Advantage Yankees by 3.8 WAR the last 2 years.

3B - Advantage Red Sox by 0.8 WAR the last 2 years.

LF - Advantage Red Sox by 3.5 WAR the last 2 years.

CF - Advantage Red Sox by 1.3 WAR the last 2 years.

RF - Advantage Red Sox by 4.3 WAR the last 2 years.

1st Starter (Sabathia/Lester) - Yankees by 2.2 WAR the last 2 years.

2nd Starter (Burnett/Beckett) - Red Sox by 1.7 WAR the last 2 years.

3rd Starter (Pettitte/Lackey) - Yankees by 1.8 WAR the last 2 years.

4th Starter (Matsuzaka/Chamberlain) - Yankees by 1 WAR the last 2 years.

5th Starter (Wakefield/Mitre) - Red Sox by 1.1 WAR the last 2 years.

Just looking at those positions, the Sox have the advantage at 8 of 13 positions by a net 1.9 WAR. Both teams are very close.
    This should probably put this thread to bed. Great post.

vCash
    Why is Wakefield going over Clay?
    Signature removed because **** is a dodging filter

vCash
    Ah, good catch Towelie.

vCash
    We have the upper hand in the starting rotation, at least one would think.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiagledknarf View Post
    This should probably put this thread to bed. Great post.
    It has it's issues like it values Youkilis over A-Rod and values Pettitte over Lackey, but it's probably the most objective analysis possible. It wouldn't be fair to do the bullpens since so many members of the Yankees bullpen have less than a year in the majors. As far as I can tell, the bullpens are pretty even at this point though. A similar analysis would be impossible for the bench considering the differences in playing time.
    -Glenn Beck

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Towelie View Post
    Why is Wakefield going over Clay?
    Mostly because he's been more valuable of a starter the last 2 years. I didn't think it was fair to compile the WAR of a pitcher like Buchholz whose pitched less than a full season worth of innings the last two years combined.

I used Mitre, for the Yankees 5th starter for the same reason. I basically selected the pitchers with the best WAR the last 2 years as the team's 5th starters so that no one could call me out for being biased by manipulating the numbers.
    -Glenn Beck

vCash
    Also of note, I forgot to include DH's from both teams. If I did so, the Red Sox would have had an advantage at 8 out of 14 positions, with a net advantage of 1.2 in WAR.

Also, if we include closers River has a 0.2 point advantage in WAR the last two years. The Red Sox have the advantage as far as set up guys but I don't think it's fair to include it since the Yankees don't have a single member of the bullpen who has set up the last 2 years. They have a lot of swing guys, long relievers, prospects and guys coming off injury.
    -Glenn Beck

vCash
    As the two teams stand right now, the Yanks have the edge on offense and in the bullpen while the Red Sox have the edge in defense and starting pitching.

As for the post that started this thread...LMAO at Gonzalez at 1B. That's like doing this in the Yankees forum and plugging in Josh Johnson in the Yanks starting rotation and then comparing the two.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast