Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: Who would win, The Detroit Lions or the current All-Americas?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Detroit Lions would win because they would still have an abundance of superior talent.

    17 80.95%
  • The All-Americas would win because they have the superior talent.

    2 9.52%
  • It's too tough to call...

    2 9.52%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 23 of 23
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    19,772
    vCash
    1500
    That would be hilarious to watch a college kid try to cover Calvin Johnson.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011


  2. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SLO, California
    Posts
    2,553
    vCash
    1500
    Eh, I'm not going to say that this thread doesn't need to exist because it's always fun to think about these kind of match ups, but that being said, NO college team (even your glorious all americans) would defeat an NFL team. It just won't happen.

    Even the worst NFL teams are made up of the best players in the world and they have being competing against the best players in the world for at least one season or more (the best players in the world for American football that is). Hell, even most of the back ups in the NFL, going to the third string are better, more developed players than the competition the all-Americans competed against in college.

    That being said, they are bigger, faster, stronger, and smarter on the field - by far. The college kids, even getting time to practice together are still just college kids who have only faced college competition. Any player on the Detroit Lions would probably start and be a college all-star at this point in their career (all that is learned and gained after playing in the National Football League for just ONE year or more years). It is not even worth arguing for the amateurs vs professionals in this sense.

    Again, grown men ranging from about 23-40 years old (give or take of course, I didn't read the Lions roster) vs 18-21 year old kids that have never played against a professional in a very physical, very mental sport...yeah I think I know who would win that match up.

    Also someone stated the pros would have nothing to play for...are you kidding me? They are playing for their god damn reputation, they would be representing their professional careers vs a bunch of (at this point) unproven kids whom they know want to beat them very badly. There is just so much to argue for any professional NFL team when comparing them to college kids, all-americans or not...the NFL game and the college game are so different...in college good players can dominate with their athletic ability and solely rely on that, and that wouldn't work against an NFL team, yet they would try that anyway because by this point, that is all they know for how to win a game.

    On top of that, the Detroit Lions Defensive and Offensive schemes would be VERY confusing to the best college all-Americans and their offense and defensive schemes would be so simple for the Lions to be able to read...man, again, just too many things to argue for a pro team if they faced a college team, in football at least...it's like having your varsity high school team take on the 8th grade pee-wee football all-stars...well, at least the freshmen all-star team...
    Last edited by QRaiderFan4life; 12-22-2009 at 07:39 PM.

    Quote Originally Posted by JMClarkent View Post
    That looked like someones over-aggressive uncle playing football with a bunch of 9 year old boys...

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    24,252
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Can't Shut down Calvin? Are you implying that Calvin is unstoppable or something? Lets look at his stats:

    He's gone for over 100 yards only twice
    10 catches 0 times
    only has 4 TDs
    Only over 60 yards 4 TIMES

    In fact, lets look at some of his studlier games:

    5 catches 49 yards vs. Washington
    2 catches 27 yards vs. Seattle
    2 catches 10 yards vs. GB
    4 catches 37 yards vs. Baltimore
    3 catches 35 yards vs. Arizona

    That's not exactly mind blowing.

    Do you think he's the (arguably) best WR in the league right now?

    How many people would rate him above Moss? Fitz? A. Johnson?

    Not many.

    He's incredibly talented, but he's not yet the best WR in the league, and to argue otherwise is basing it more on his potential and physical ability than his polish and production as a WR up to this point...

    wait... were you responsible for Haywood-Bey over Crabtree?
    Wow, you're an idiot. I said ROOKIES can't shut down Calvin. The two best rookie CBs - Vontae Davis and Sean Smith - can't do it, there's not a chance College players - WHO DONT EVEN HAVE A FEEL FOR WHAT PRO FOOTBALL IS LIKE OR EXPERIENCED IT - wouldn't stand a chance against a healthy Calvin Johnson.

    I do think its funny you look at the stats, but ignore the team around him. His team has one of the worst O-Lines in the league, he has Rookie QB passing to him, he is the only solid receiver outside of Brandon Pettigrew (ANOTHER ROOKIE).

    Redskins: One of the best secondaries (when DET played them).
    Ravens: One of the best DEFENSES.
    Packers: In the Top 5 for overall Defense.
    Cardinals: Another great secondary.

    The only one of those 5 games you mentioned that can even be considered lack luster is the Seahawks game, but Megatron was banged up...

    Hmm... Megatron's also missed 2 games. Oh, and keep in mind He's been banged up most of the year...

    Week 5: Thigh Injury, Limited Participation in Practice, Probable - Oh, during that game, he had to be taken off the field due to injury.
    Week 6: Knee Injury, Did Not Participate In Practice, Questionable
    Week 8: Knee Injury, Limited Participation in Practice, Questionable
    Week 9: Knee Injury, Limited Participation in Practice, Questionable
    Week 10: Knee Injury, Full Participation in Practice, Probable - $10 says you point this out and forget that he was still injured.
    Week 11: Hand Injury, Limited Participation in Practice, Probable
    Week 12: Hand Injury, Did Not Participate In Practice, Questionable
    Week 13: Knee Injury, Full Participation in Practice, Probable
    Week 15: Knee Injury, Limited Participation in Practice, Questionable


    Lol. Moss? Fitz? Andre?

    Moss - Tom Brady, Wes Welker
    Fitz - Kurt Warner, Anquan Boldin, Steve Breaston
    Andre - Matt Schuab, Owen Daniels, Steve Slaton, Kevin Walter

    Patriots Defense: Points Allowed 17.4 (4th), Pass Yards 205.9 (9th), Rush Yards 109 (15th), Total yards 314.9 (10th)
    Patriots Offense: Points 26.1 (8th) Total Yards 398.3 (2nd) Pass Yards280.4 (4th) Rush Yards 117.9 (14th)

    Cardinals Defense: PTS 20.1 (12th) Total Yards 354.3 (23rd) PASS YDS 239.5 (24th) RUSH YDS 114.8 (19th)
    Cardinals Offense: PTS 24.1 (10th) Total Yards 351.1 (14th) PASS YDS 256.1 (11th) RUSH YDS 95.1 (27th)

    Texans Defense: PTS 20.4 (14th) Total Yards 322.7 (12th) PASS YDS 210.1 (12th) RUSH YDS 112.6 (17th)
    Texans Offense: PTS 23.4 (11th) Total Yards 377.4 (7th) PASS YDS 291.4 (2nd) RUSH YDS 86.1 (31st)

    Compared too....

    Lions Defense: PTS 31.2 (32nd) Total Yards 396.1 (32nd) PASS YDS 268.6 (32nd) RUSH YDS 127.6 (24th)
    Lions Offense: PTS 16.6 (27th) YDS 296.1 (25th) PASS YDS 196.0 (22nd) RUSH YDS 100.1 (24th)

    Do you even know what those rankings tell you? I'll help you, what they are saying is, Calvin Johnson has the least amount of talent around himt han anybody else. You seem to forget that last season, he was on the WORST team in NFL history. You don't give him nearly enough credit.

    Right now, this season, no he's not the best WR in the league. Andre Johnson is head and shoulders above them all. However, over Megatron's 3 year span in the NFL, a GREAT argument can be made for him being the best in the NFL. You also seem to be taking what I'm saying out of context, I said ARGUABLY I didn't say he WAS. And comparing this argument to Heyward-Bey over Crabtree is ridiculous and show you have absolutely nothing.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ja-Blam
    Posts
    7,753
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendX View Post
    Wow, you're an idiot. I said ROOKIES can't shut down Calvin. The two best rookie CBs - Vontae Davis and Sean Smith - can't do it, there's not a chance College players - WHO DONT EVEN HAVE A FEEL FOR WHAT PRO FOOTBALL IS LIKE OR EXPERIENCED IT - wouldn't stand a chance against a healthy Calvin Johnson.

    I do think its funny you look at the stats, but ignore the team around him. His team has one of the worst O-Lines in the league, he has Rookie QB passing to him, he is the only solid receiver outside of Brandon Pettigrew (ANOTHER ROOKIE).

    Redskins: One of the best secondaries (when DET played them).
    Ravens: One of the best DEFENSES.
    Packers: In the Top 5 for overall Defense.
    Cardinals: Another great secondary.

    The only one of those 5 games you mentioned that can even be considered lack luster is the Seahawks game, but Megatron was banged up...

    Hmm... Megatron's also missed 2 games. Oh, and keep in mind He's been banged up most of the year...

    Week 5: Thigh Injury, Limited Participation in Practice, Probable - Oh, during that game, he had to be taken off the field due to injury.
    Week 6: Knee Injury, Did Not Participate In Practice, Questionable
    Week 8: Knee Injury, Limited Participation in Practice, Questionable
    Week 9: Knee Injury, Limited Participation in Practice, Questionable
    Week 10: Knee Injury, Full Participation in Practice, Probable - $10 says you point this out and forget that he was still injured.
    Week 11: Hand Injury, Limited Participation in Practice, Probable
    Week 12: Hand Injury, Did Not Participate In Practice, Questionable
    Week 13: Knee Injury, Full Participation in Practice, Probable
    Week 15: Knee Injury, Limited Participation in Practice, Questionable


    Lol. Moss? Fitz? Andre?

    Moss - Tom Brady, Wes Welker
    Fitz - Kurt Warner, Anquan Boldin, Steve Breaston
    Andre - Matt Schuab, Owen Daniels, Steve Slaton, Kevin Walter

    Patriots Defense: Points Allowed 17.4 (4th), Pass Yards 205.9 (9th), Rush Yards 109 (15th), Total yards 314.9 (10th)
    Patriots Offense: Points 26.1 (8th) Total Yards 398.3 (2nd) Pass Yards280.4 (4th) Rush Yards 117.9 (14th)

    Cardinals Defense: PTS 20.1 (12th) Total Yards 354.3 (23rd) PASS YDS 239.5 (24th) RUSH YDS 114.8 (19th)
    Cardinals Offense: PTS 24.1 (10th) Total Yards 351.1 (14th) PASS YDS 256.1 (11th) RUSH YDS 95.1 (27th)

    Texans Defense: PTS 20.4 (14th) Total Yards 322.7 (12th) PASS YDS 210.1 (12th) RUSH YDS 112.6 (17th)
    Texans Offense: PTS 23.4 (11th) Total Yards 377.4 (7th) PASS YDS 291.4 (2nd) RUSH YDS 86.1 (31st)

    Compared too....

    Lions Defense: PTS 31.2 (32nd) Total Yards 396.1 (32nd) PASS YDS 268.6 (32nd) RUSH YDS 127.6 (24th)
    Lions Offense: PTS 16.6 (27th) YDS 296.1 (25th) PASS YDS 196.0 (22nd) RUSH YDS 100.1 (24th)

    Do you even know what those rankings tell you? I'll help you, what they are saying is, Calvin Johnson has the least amount of talent around himt han anybody else. You seem to forget that last season, he was on the WORST team in NFL history. You don't give him nearly enough credit.

    Right now, this season, no he's not the best WR in the league. Andre Johnson is head and shoulders above them all. However, over Megatron's 3 year span in the NFL, a GREAT argument can be made for him being the best in the NFL. You also seem to be taking what I'm saying out of context, I said ARGUABLY I didn't say he WAS. And comparing this argument to Heyward-Bey over Crabtree is ridiculous and show you have absolutely nothing.
    I'm not ignoring the team around him, I do think it's funny however that all you use to backup your argument is stats bashing some real stats, yet discount ability, experience, route running. Calvin is not yet proficient enough in those areas to be compared with Andre, Fitz, Wayne, etc.

    And showing how banged up he is only reinforces perhaps he's not the best...

    Yes, he has the least amount of talent around him of those teams. But Steve Smith from Carolina had to do it with Delhomme, and he put up better stats.

    A great case can be made for why Megatron is top 5 in the nfl right now. Also, last I checked the best WR is supposed to make his team better and increase their wins, something he hasn't yet done. Perhaps will be the best, but he's not yet in the best discussion, too many possibles above him...

    And are you saying the ONLY reason the Lions would win is because no CB from college could cover Megatron? So you've discounted zones, double and triple coverage?

    Or what if I switch teams, suppose it was the Browns. Are you saying that no College All-America could beat any NFL team, or that they couldn't beat any team with Megatron?

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    3,039
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Can't Shut down Calvin? Are you implying that Calvin is unstoppable or something? Lets look at his stats:

    He's gone for over 100 yards only twice
    10 catches 0 times
    only has 4 TDs
    Only over 60 yards 4 TIMES

    In fact, lets look at some of his studlier games:

    5 catches 49 yards vs. Washington
    2 catches 27 yards vs. Seattle
    2 catches 10 yards vs. GB
    4 catches 37 yards vs. Baltimore
    3 catches 35 yards vs. Arizona

    That's not exactly mind blowing.

    Do you think he's the (arguably) best WR in the league right now?

    How many people would rate him above Moss? Fitz? A. Johnson?

    Not many.

    He's incredibly talented, but he's not yet the best WR in the league, and to argue otherwise is basing it more on his potential and physical ability than his polish and production as a WR up to this point...

    wait... were you responsible for Haywood-Bey over Crabtree?

    The numbers calvin johnson put up last year on a terrible team with a terrible quarterback were rediculous. his numbers aren't great this year because he has been hurt most of the season. if you give him tom brady (moss) or kurt warner (fitz) or even matt schaub (AJ) and his numbers would be as good if not better than anyone in the league. i'm assuming you've never seen him play if you don't think the guy is an absolute beast.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ja-Blam
    Posts
    7,753
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by hurdler388 View Post
    The numbers calvin johnson put up last year on a terrible team with a terrible quarterback were rediculous. his numbers aren't great this year because he has been hurt most of the season. if you give him tom brady (moss) or kurt warner (fitz) or even matt schaub (AJ) and his numbers would be as good if not better than anyone in the league. i'm assuming you've never seen him play if you don't think the guy is an absolute beast.
    I never said he wasn't an absolute beast. How come everyone assumes that if I don't say he's arguably the best WR in the NFL today than I think he sucks?

    He's absolutely monstrous. He's a great WR. For sure top 10 possibly top 5 WR. But I simply don't believe he's arguably the best WR in the league right now.

    Randy Moss
    Andre Johnson
    Steve Smith (Car)
    Chad Ochocinco
    Larry Fitzgerald
    Reggie Wayne

    Theres too many great WRs in this league to start overrating one...

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    In the depths of the Dunabi Jungle
    Posts
    11,225
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendX View Post
    Wow, you're an idiot. I said ROOKIES can't shut down Calvin. The two best rookie CBs - Vontae Davis and Sean Smith - can't do it, there's not a chance College players - WHO DONT EVEN HAVE A FEEL FOR WHAT PRO FOOTBALL IS LIKE OR EXPERIENCED IT - wouldn't stand a chance against a healthy Calvin Johnson.

    I do think its funny you look at the stats, but ignore the team around him. His team has one of the worst O-Lines in the league, he has Rookie QB passing to him, he is the only solid receiver outside of Brandon Pettigrew (ANOTHER ROOKIE).

    Redskins: One of the best secondaries (when DET played them).
    Ravens: One of the best DEFENSES.
    Packers: In the Top 5 for overall Defense.
    Cardinals: Another great secondary.

    The only one of those 5 games you mentioned that can even be considered lack luster is the Seahawks game, but Megatron was banged up...

    Hmm... Megatron's also missed 2 games. Oh, and keep in mind He's been banged up most of the year...

    Week 5: Thigh Injury, Limited Participation in Practice, Probable - Oh, during that game, he had to be taken off the field due to injury.
    Week 6: Knee Injury, Did Not Participate In Practice, Questionable
    Week 8: Knee Injury, Limited Participation in Practice, Questionable
    Week 9: Knee Injury, Limited Participation in Practice, Questionable
    Week 10: Knee Injury, Full Participation in Practice, Probable - $10 says you point this out and forget that he was still injured.
    Week 11: Hand Injury, Limited Participation in Practice, Probable
    Week 12: Hand Injury, Did Not Participate In Practice, Questionable
    Week 13: Knee Injury, Full Participation in Practice, Probable
    Week 15: Knee Injury, Limited Participation in Practice, Questionable


    Lol. Moss? Fitz? Andre?

    Moss - Tom Brady, Wes Welker
    Fitz - Kurt Warner, Anquan Boldin, Steve Breaston
    Andre - Matt Schuab, Owen Daniels, Steve Slaton, Kevin Walter

    Patriots Defense: Points Allowed 17.4 (4th), Pass Yards 205.9 (9th), Rush Yards 109 (15th), Total yards 314.9 (10th)
    Patriots Offense: Points 26.1 (8th) Total Yards 398.3 (2nd) Pass Yards280.4 (4th) Rush Yards 117.9 (14th)

    Cardinals Defense: PTS 20.1 (12th) Total Yards 354.3 (23rd) PASS YDS 239.5 (24th) RUSH YDS 114.8 (19th)
    Cardinals Offense: PTS 24.1 (10th) Total Yards 351.1 (14th) PASS YDS 256.1 (11th) RUSH YDS 95.1 (27th)

    Texans Defense: PTS 20.4 (14th) Total Yards 322.7 (12th) PASS YDS 210.1 (12th) RUSH YDS 112.6 (17th)
    Texans Offense: PTS 23.4 (11th) Total Yards 377.4 (7th) PASS YDS 291.4 (2nd) RUSH YDS 86.1 (31st)

    Compared too....

    Lions Defense: PTS 31.2 (32nd) Total Yards 396.1 (32nd) PASS YDS 268.6 (32nd) RUSH YDS 127.6 (24th)
    Lions Offense: PTS 16.6 (27th) YDS 296.1 (25th) PASS YDS 196.0 (22nd) RUSH YDS 100.1 (24th)

    Do you even know what those rankings tell you? I'll help you, what they are saying is, Calvin Johnson has the least amount of talent around himt han anybody else. You seem to forget that last season, he was on the WORST team in NFL history. You don't give him nearly enough credit.

    Right now, this season, no he's not the best WR in the league. Andre Johnson is head and shoulders above them all. However, over Megatron's 3 year span in the NFL, a GREAT argument can be made for him being the best in the NFL. You also seem to be taking what I'm saying out of context, I said ARGUABLY I didn't say he WAS. And comparing this argument to Heyward-Bey over Crabtree is ridiculous and show you have absolutely nothing.
    i have to defend AJ here. OD only played in like 6 games all year and slaton/the entire run game for the texans has been non-existent. walter also missed several games and has been lack luster this year. AJ has flat out carried the texans and is head and shoulders above the rest of the league. Heck, he has 223 yards more than the next guy. 223 yards!
    The Most Epic Thread EVER
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Yea what is he thinking not wanting to drive next to or near drunk people. I have never met a more sheltered scaredy cat. As a hobby i find 10-15 homeless guys and give them lots of alcohol and play bumper cars all day but im normal.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Grew up in Jersey
    Posts
    3,334
    vCash
    1500
    I'll take the Lions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •