Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Inbox: Is Castillo underrated?

By Marty Noble / MLB.com

02/05/10 1:00 PM EST

I often read how fans think that the Mets should move Luis Castillo. After a terrible 2008 season and despite the dropped popup against the Yankees in June, he had a quite respectable 2009 season, batting .302 and stealing 20 bases, while regaining his health. Why does everyone want to move him? What "star" would play second base? Is this a spot for Daniel Murphy since he was a third baseman?
    -- Robbie B., Glendale, N.Y.

Castillo's range is an issue at least partially because Murphy's range at first base isn't special. The lack of range probably would become more noticeable if the Mets' rotation includes three right-handed pitchers -- Mike Pelfrey, John Maine and Fernando Nieve -- as a likelihood of more ground balls to the right side would exist. If Jon Niese were the fifth starter instead of Nieve, the potential for a problem wouldn't be so great.

A lack of extra-base hits by Castillo could become an issue as well, depending on where he bats in the order.

With a catching tandem not likely to produce many extra-base hits -- not as many as Bengie Molina -- Castillo's singles offense would be a problem if he were to bat low in the order. Batting him second would offset his lack of doubles to a degree, if Jose Reyes were leading off and running well. But if Castillo bats eighth, as he did in 23 games last season, the Mets wouldn't get their money's worth offensively. His singles would have greater value if the players on base in front of him were faster and able to advance two bases. If he were batting eighth, he likely would be following a catcher -- Omir Santos or Henry Blanco. Moreover, Castillo still runs well enough that he can advance two bases on a single or score from first on some doubles. But if he's batting eighth, the chances of him advancing on a hit are diminished.

Castillo's batting average and on-base percentage as a No. 2 and a No. 8 hitter were good and quite comparable last season -- .326 and .402, respectively, batting second and .324 and .415 batting eighth. But consider this: Though his on-base percentage as a No. 8 hitter was 13 points higher, the 34 times he reached base batting eighth produced 10 runs, or runs in 29 percent of the opportunities. The 144 times he reached base as a No. 2 hitter produced 56 runs, or 39 percent of the opportunities.

Or put aside the numbers, it makes sense he would score more often as a No. 2 hitter than as a No. 8 hitter. And since he is on base more than most players -- his overall OBP for the season, .387, was 16th in the National League -- he should bat second to afford him as many plate appearances as possible.

So it's not that Castillo is a diminished player so much as it is that his skills and those of some teammates don't mesh well.

And, no, Murphy is not a second baseman.--Marty Noble
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...tnerId=rss_nym

vCash
    I always liked Castillo's skill set, and his hard-nosed play. He does what a 2b should do; He is a solid, steady glove [even though he no longer has great range], and he gets on base.

The problem that I have with Castillo is his HEALTH. This guy has AWFUL knees, and can't be counted on to play a full season anymore.

Since he makes a good [but no longer ridiculous] amount of money, we won't go out and get someone to replace him if he goes down, and we don't have anyone in our minor leagues who can step up and fill the shoes.

I wanted to see him traded because I don't want to see us juggling line-ups and employing 'back-ups' on an everyday basis again. We need guys who are durable enough to contribute 140-160 games a year. Otherwise, the team suffers, and more money is wasted.

vCash
    The problem with Castillo is that while he played well last season, i don't see him duplicating that.

And there's alsothe issue of his range. As well as my not being able to forget that freakin dropped pop....
    "Gods always behave like the people who make them."

vCash
    Nope...he sucks...balls

vCash
    Nah, he is hated more than underrated.

vCash
    i hope hes underrated ray:

"It's not enough that I succeed, others should fail."

vCash
    For me its his baseball IQ, or lack there of. Forgetting to cover 1st or backing up 2nd, stuff like that. Crap like that just drives me nuts. That's why I want Havens to succeed this season so I can see him supplant him either later this year or next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    For me its his baseball IQ, or lack there of. Forgetting to cover 1st or backing up 2nd, stuff like that. Crap like that just drives me nuts. That's why I want Havens to succeed this season so I can see him supplant him either later this year or next year.
    Two words: Ruben Tejada!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Two words: Ruben Tejada!
    And I have 4 words
    "is a backup middle infielder"

ok so that's 5, sue me!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    And I have 4 words
    "is a backup middle infielder"

ok so that's 5, sue me!
    Ah, once upon a time you might have said the same thing about Wally Backman.

The kid at 19 did very well in AA ball. Don't you think, at least from an optimist's point of view, he deserves the benefit of the doubt?

vCash
    Nope. I think he's rated pretty fairly. He's not completely **** like some people say but he is still a below average player.

Although he is one of the most disciplined hitters in all of baseball, and gets on base at a very respectable clip, his severe lack of power and XB hitting ability really limit his offensive value.

Last year his wOBA+ was 103 (with a score of 100 indicating league average). So we can see that his offensive production last year wasn't that much greater than the average player.

Also, add in the fact that his range has been decreasing year to year and last year was his career worst UZR ( -10.4 ). This horrid defensive production diminished his value even further.

All this adds up to a 1.6 WAR which is below average ( A 2 WAR is generally accepted to be league average value ).

I think if Luis can maintain his offensive production and somehow improve his range next year, he can be an average player for us.

Which, really, is all we can ask for at this point.

vCash
    He's overrated.. supposedly he was on base at nearly 400 clip.. but i ask you how many runs did he generate and how many did he drive in?

Nice to see him on base, but I much prefer him if he was standing on second a little more often. Slappy's brand of baseball does not generate runs. Now that his range is headed south I more brick to throw at him.

I guess when he showed up for ST year before last in no kind of shape (ala.. Robby Alomar).. he was not ready to play and was an embarassment he truly endeared himself to the fan base. I keep asking myself why cant this guy be driven in nearly 100 a season and it all comes down to lack of xtra base hits.

vCash
    Another responder said the Mets were not ready to start Tejada's service time with the Mets yet.. well I ask you who is between 2nd base and him worth keeping? The only 2nd baseman type we watching is actually behind Tejada (havens). Tejada could truly benefit from another season of Triple A though.

Crossed the Rubicon, let the bridge be burned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Ah, once upon a time you might have said the same thing about Wally Backman.

The kid at 19 did very well in AA ball. Don't you think, at least from an optimist's point of view, he deserves the benefit of the doubt?
    Memories make the heart grow fonder I guess. Wally had some moments but he wasn't all that much of a player.
    RIP Paul Kuznetz aka uapeople

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I'm all for Bay playing everyday. I don't mind, I understand with the contract situation.

vCash
    No, he sucks. Anyone who sprains his ankle while walking down the dugout steps sucks in my book.
    METS
    RANGERS
    JETS
    KNICKS

CHELSEA- CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast