Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Minaya: Murphy, Jacobs will have open competition for first base

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/metsbl...SfARma55KdtgqI
    Daniel Murphy will have to earn the Mets starting first base job this Spring Training, GM Omar Minaya told the Newark Star Ledger.

Murphy will be in an Ďopen competitioní with Mike Jacobs, who the Mets signed to a major league contract last week.

"He'll compete for the job," Minaya said of Jacobs. "I think it's fair to say that Murphy has proven himself worthy of being considered, but he's going to have to continue. It's an open competition."

Murphy has tried to prove himself worthy of the starting job as he was the only Mets regular position player to show up at the teamís mini-camp and is working with the teamís former first baseman Keith Hernandez to improve his defense. That could give him an edge over Jacobs, who is not known for his defensive prowess. But Jacobs has one thing the Mets covet and that is power at the position.

Jacobs has hit 81 home runs in four major league seasons, including 32 in 2008, since he was part of a package the Mets sent to the Marlins for Carlos Delgado. But Jacobs had a woeful .297 on-base percentage last season, which is part of the reason the Royals released him.

vCash
    Hey lets throw Ike in there and really stir the pot.. let the victor enjoy the spoils of war.. let the competition begin..

Now on a side note.. 5 bucks on Murphy!

vCash
    they won't rush ike, but don' count carter out.
    THE APRIL 8TH CONCERT AT THE CRAZY DONKEY COMPLETLEY SOLD OUT. AN EXTREMELY SUCCESFUL FUNDRAISER FOR SPINAL AWARENESS I TRULY THANK ANYONE WHO DONATED OR EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT IT. HERE ARE SOME PICS FROM THE EVENT http://asyouwishphoto.smugmug.com/Ev...107_3vuWw-A-LB

vCash
    Personally I prefer Murphy at first right now. However this doesn't surprise me. I figured Jacobs was brought in to push Murph, and hopefully this will do it. If Murphy proves he can't handle the position, Jacobs is a major league first baseman.

The last time Jacobs had Hojo as his hitting coach in 2005 (at AAA) he hit nearly .320 with 36 HR and 116 RBI between AAA (.321/25/93) and the Mets (.310/11/23). Maybe Hojo can bring out the best in him again.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    I think both Murphy and Jacobs were products of playing against September pitchers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I think both Murphy and Jacobs were products of playing against September pitchers.
    And I hope you're wrong.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Oh boy...
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

vCash
    What happened to Tatis ?

He is a better hitter than both of them.

vCash
    it's only fair, Murphy does not have a right to 1B.
    If eh is the best player he will play..simple as that.
    ...New toy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hustla23 View Post
    What happened to Tatis ?

No he isn't. Tatis is the "super-sub." He'll play 1B, 3B, LF, and RF, and be the primary righty pinch hitter off the bench.

-Sun Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hustla23 View Post
    What happened to Tatis ?

I think he will play against lefties. Murphy and Jacobs will fight it out for the other side of the platoon.

vCash
    Jacobs is the more prototypical 1B because of his great power. I like it...

Give him an opportunity to win the job and maybe he'd surprise us this year. So far he has already reported to Spring Training although it is not even pitcher's and catcher's time yet.

He is ready to improve and ready to learn, and he is willing... Good signs so far

vCash
    Might as well make them compete. Though I doubt Murphy loses the job to Jacobs.

Don't worry. He's got this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Might as well make them compete. Though I doubt Murphy loses the job to Jacobs.
    I agree, I think Minaya is doing his best to just not give certain guys a given spot. Guys will battle it out for CF, 1st base, catcher and the 5th starter.

vCash
    I really hate Spring training competitions (or maybe I'm just sick of them).
    When is the last time they worked in the teams favor. Pelfrey?

And does anyone think that Carter should get a serious look there?

Also the only way Murphy loses this job is if he plays so horrendous that they have no other choice.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast