Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozerguy47 View Post
    You know that it's a real mineral... They didn't make it up.
    No. It's not.

It's just a scientific placeholder term.

And either way, it was absolutely ******** to use it in the movie when CameronCo could have made up ANYTHING else that didn't sound so stupid.

Whit or whit-out you. Whit or whit-ooooooooout you.

vCash
    Cameron planning Avatar triology

Dont know if this has been posted but for those who like more good news for you avatar fans, as for those of you that hate well look like you got bad news coming your way. I have not seen the movie yet so I cant say whether I like it or not.

Introducing the Eagles O-Line

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    Cameron planning Avatar triology

Dont know if this has been posted but for those who like more good news for you avatar fans, as for those of you that hate well look like you got bad news coming your way. I have not seen the movie yet so I cant say whether I like it or not.
    Well it made another 30 million and was number 1 again. Is only some 6-7 million from setting yet another record and that is of all time record for US top grossing film.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Well it made another 30 million and was number 1 again. Is only some 6-7 million from setting yet another record and that is of all time record for US top grossing film.
    Eh. While impressive, they still should adjust for inflation. I'm not sure why they don't do that.

And I am still confused as to why this is a box office juggernaut. People say "It's the top grossing film of all time!!!" and I ask, why? I don't get it.

And then I look at the reviews, and most of the reviews are uniform. Cheesy story, but awesome visual effects!!! Since when do movie reviewers overlook weaknesses in a film due to special effects? The answer is, they ****ing don't. Why make exceptions for this movie? The massive hype campaign?

How did a movie, with nothing going for it except for visual effects, win best picture at the golden globes?
    Last edited by gcoll; 01-31-2010 at 03:01 PM.

vCash
    I ma sure even if they adjust for inflation it would be around 1.5-1.6 billion which would rank it up there as well. Is just a guess, but it could not be that much further down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I ma sure even if they adjust for inflation it would be around 1.5-1.6 billion which would rank it up there as well. Is just a guess, but it could not be that much further down.
    http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Pretty sure that's just the US though.

That's a better way to measure, because it isn't influenced by ticket price.
    Last edited by gcoll; 01-31-2010 at 03:46 PM.

vCash
    You also have to look at the period in time this movies were released.

I just find it hard to belief that GWTW would of made as much money had it come out in this time period,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Apparently the people who select the Golden Globe winners feel a little different about the movie than you do. Move on.
    Such a cop out.

What does this movie have going for it besides special effects? All of the important elements (story, dialogue, characters) are extremely cheesy.

Plus. I think the pro-"green" stance of the movie helped it with the Hollywood Foreign Press.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All
    You also have to look at the period in time this movies were released.

I just find it hard to belief that GWTW would of made as much money had it come out in this time period,
    So what?

It sold more tickets than any other movie ever. Personally, I don't care for it, but still.
    Last edited by gcoll; 01-31-2010 at 04:10 PM.

vCash
    Signature removed because **** is a dodging filter

vCash
    ^I agree with you on the Avatar stuff, but don't make the mistake that Beyonce is pre-packaged crap. She's MILES better than the large majority of singers on the air now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Towelie View Post
    OMG I have a boner already and I haven't watched it yet. That Phantom Menace review is amazing in every way.

Whit or whit-out you. Whit or whit-ooooooooout you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post

Pretty sure that's just the US though.

That's a better way to measure, because it isn't influenced by ticket price.
    Yeah, I remember hearing that Gone in the Wind is the top film when you adjust for inflation. Talked about it in economics, one of the few things I remember.

"King Felix has hurled more mega quality starts since 2010 than 14 entire MLB teams."
    http://dynamik-farr.deviantart.com/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE)
    Cop out? Call it what you want, it is the truth. So you didn't like the movie, and a lot of the general public (including the Golden Globe voters) did...GET OVER IT. It's not the first time it has happened and it won't be the last.
    Right. But I'm saying they were wrong to give it Best Picture.

I defend that claim by saying that the only thing Avatar has going for it is special effects. If you'd like to disagree, then please espouse the virtues of Avatar.

But I get the sense that you are taking the more bull **** route of "The Golden Globes don't even matter anyway" which I'd tend to agree with. But I didn't say they mattered. I just said they were wrong to award Avatar with best picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE)
    but you don't see me going around trying to convince people what a sham it is that "I Am....Sasha Fierce" won the Grammy for album of the year.
    No. I see you trying to convince people that Avatar isn't ****.
    Last edited by gcoll; 02-01-2010 at 05:51 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    It sold more tickets than any other movie ever. Personally, I don't care for it, but still.
    I thought Gone With the Wind was considered #1. If you consider the price change in tickets, Gone With the Wind apparently sold the most tickets all time.

But they had fewer new releases back then. It wasn't like another major movie was trying to knock it off a week later.
    http://caamasi-disciples.com/ - A SW:TOR Republic guild focused on casual players who want to play "the Good Guy."

vCash
    gcoll, it's obvious that you disliked the movie, but to say the Golden Globes were totally wrong is a bit extreme. The voters know 'a tad' more about movies than the general public. I agree, and I'm sure a large portion of the public does, that it wasn't an amazing story, but it was good enough for most of us (and the Hollywood Foreign Press).

Quote Originally Posted by enderandrew View Post
    I thought Gone With the Wind was considered #1. If you consider the price change in tickets, Gone With the Wind apparently sold the most tickets all time.

But they had fewer new releases back then. It wasn't like another major movie was trying to knock it off a week later.
    True... Yeah, and according to my econ book Gone With the Wind made over 2.7 billion when adjusted for inflation. Pretty ridiculous stuff.

"King Felix has hurled more mega quality starts since 2010 than 14 entire MLB teams."
    http://dynamik-farr.deviantart.com/

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast