Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
    vCash
    I saw the movie once in theaters. Special FX were very good, the acting was solid but the story was somewhat predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by enderandrew View Post
    I thought Gone With the Wind was considered #1. If you consider the price change in tickets, Gone With the Wind apparently sold the most tickets all time.

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

But they had fewer new releases back then. It wasn't like another major movie was trying to knock it off a week later.
    going slightly off topic, but boxofficemojo.com is a cool site. I thought it was somewhat incredible that E.T. was 35 straight weeks in the top 10 (44 total, which I assume includes the re-release).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozerguy47 View Post
    gcoll, it's obvious that you disliked the movie, but to say the Golden Globes were totally wrong is a bit extreme. The voters know 'a tad' more about movies than the general public. I agree, and I'm sure a large portion of the public does, that it wasn't an amazing story, but it was good enough for most of us (and the Hollywood Foreign Press).
    The Hollywood Foreign Press is a joke of an organization. First it only has 95 members, which sure as **** doesn't signify any kind of acceptable sample size to correlate between itself and the general public. Two, the HFPA has always been criticized as an organization where you can buy votes. It happens.

But the saddest thing about your sad little post here that that the story was "good enough" and thus for that reason its awards are warranted. Congratulations for accepting the dumbing down of culture.

Whit or whit-out you. Whit or whit-ooooooooout you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by enderandrew View Post
    I thought Gone With the Wind was considered #1. If you consider the price change in tickets, Gone With the Wind apparently sold the most tickets all time.
    Yeah. That's what I was referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozerguy47
    The voters know 'a tad' more about movies than the general public
    That makes their selection worse. If it was an MTV award, or a Kids Choice Award....fine. But if you take movies seriously, and you award Avatar with Best Picture, you've turned yourself into a joke.

Once again, I ask. Besides special effects, what does Avatar have going for it?

Watch that review Towelie posted. That guy talking adds humor, but I watched his Phantom Menace review too...he seems to have an idea about movies.
    Last edited by gcoll; 02-01-2010 at 04:00 PM.

vCash
    I just watched it and thought it was a great movie.

vCash
    I thought the movie was great. The visuals were ****ing amazing, i didn't watch it on IMAX, but even so, you really lose sense of what's real and what's CGI.

I also agree that the characters lacked depth. I would have liked to see more back story on Parker, Wainfleet and Jake. The way the movie was presented was like the humans in Pandora were bad just because they were greedy and not because they were trying to save Earth. They never gave us a visual on how bad things were back on earth. Maybe that's how the movie should have open, with this dark, chaotic world, maybe then as a viewer we could actually cheer and feel what Parker was trying to accomplish had merit.

Having said that, that's a small problem and can easily be overlooked(thanks to the CGI) now to truly enjoy this movie, I will watch it on IMAX 3D and get the whole Avatar experience.
    -----

vCash
    I enjoyed seeing Avatar on a hd projector in 3D in the theater.

That said, I would not enjoy watching Avatar at all on a standard definition 30" TV screen at my house, basically because the visuals are all it has going for it. Thus, I wouldn't consider this a great movie by any stretch.

vCash
    haven't seen it, but i bet this movie is better in the theaters because the special effects outweigh the lack of a thick plot.

vCash
    the movie was just bad...it was cool how it was made but looked like a glorified cartoon or pixar picture....

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718