Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Overaggressive saints defense?

Watching the Saints this season you can't help but notice that their defense is below average. They can be run on and thrown by even average offenses. What's been interesting to me is that the Saints defensive game plan seems to revolve around taking borderline cheapshots at key players...quarterbacks in particular. What are your thoughts on this aggressive Saints D?

Quote Originally Posted by DKtheLegend View Post
    Watching the Saints this season you can't help but notice that their defense is below average. They can be run on and thrown by even average offenses. What's been interesting to me is that the Saints defensive game plan seems to revolve around taking borderline cheapshots at key players...quarterbacks in particular. What are your thoughts on this aggressive Saints D?
    Personally, I'm not buying the cheap shot argument. Every teams goal is to hit the quarterback and put pressure on the passing game. That said, if you look at the Saints defense, they've been good at generating turnovers, but have given up lots of yards. To think about it in context, their defense has given up as many yards as the Colts generated on offense this year. We're not talking about a team like Oakland or Buffalo, but the Colts. They've won because their own offense has 1,000 more yards than that, and they've been opportunistic with turnovers. Definitely not cheap shots though.

I don't really think they resort to "cheap" shots per say. They are just a mediocre defense overall. Anyone that things otherwise is a homer or is just oblivious to the fact. So far against NFC teams this year they have just been able to win shootouts and that works for them. They also won last night by a key mistake by the Vikings. It's been a nice run NO, and I feel for your city and all, but Peyton and the Colts are going to tear them apart.
    2012 Texas Rangers Offseason

"I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never” -Rafael Palmeiro (4 Months before testing positive for steroids)

Texas Rangers 2010-11 American League Champions!

Indianapolis Colts Super Bowl XLI Champions!

Im not buying the cheapshots theory either. Are you a bitter Vikings fan by any chance? What cheap shots are you talking about? If you are talking about hits on Favre they didn't look too bad to me. You know football is a contact sport right??? They are an aggressive team and now that they are healthy they can be aggressive. They just beat two very good offenses lead by great QB's. The Vikings moved the ball easy on them for a while but the Saints still caused 5 turnovers and put constant pressure on Favre.
    http://www.logo-designer.co/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Real-Madrid-football-club-logo-design-branding-identity-Ruben-Ferlo.jpg

well the thing is every hit on the QB is pretty much a cheap shot in this age of the NFL.

NFL protects the QB's too much. yes there were a few questionable shots in that Minnesota game. but all teams in one way or another take shots like those

as for the Warner hit, hey he became a defensive player at that point and was in persuit of the QB the defender has every right to make a block.

I wouldn't have been surprised if they had a game plan of trying to hurt Warner/Favre going into each of their games (ie come as close to a roughing the passer call as you can, don't pull any punches - without verbally giving the command).

The hit that really pissed me off was the one where Favre had to be helped off the field. I haven't seen a clearer example of the "Brady Rule" since its inception, and yet no flag.

It was obvious they were trying to hurt Favre, instead of just tackling him on one occasion the defender picked him up and pile drived him after the ball was out of his hands. When he gave an end around I believe, even though Favre was completely out of the play they still laid him out. That high low hit that injured him pissed me off the most because there was no flag. I'm really hoping Manning makes a mockery of them in a couple weeks.

OMFG exactly how many saints games have you watched i watch every single won i can name u probably cant even name 20 players on the team but u going to evaluate the whole team on 5 games and stats which dont tell shyt and say we take cheap shots fail
    SOMETIMES A PICTURE IS ONLY WORTH ONE WORD

you gotta love the colts fan talking about the mediocre defense w/ the 18th rank defense right i guess im the only homer,

but they can stop the number 1 offense, w/ the second best QB in the league (after peyton) sound homerish to me, i love how everyone says our offense got stop but we put up 31 pts i dont get it

yeah just like the colts we lost both corners,
    SOMETIMES A PICTURE IS ONLY WORTH ONE WORD

I don't feel the Saint's D were taking cheap shots. I mean come on, if your team has never made it to the Superbowl, wouldn't you be hungry too and do what it takes to win? They were aggressive, that's all.
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

Norcal transplant on central Oregon Coast
    With the Saints offense, the defense only has to slow Peyton down, not stop him completely. I think Saints fans are smart enough to acknowledge that their offense is the reason that they are ther. C'mon

Norcal transplant on central Oregon Coast
    And no to the cheapshots. Its playoff football people. They turn it up a notch. So bitter.

It's Gregg Williams' scheme. Heavy pressure, and heavy blitzing. No different than the defense he had in Tennessee.

As far as "cheapshots"...Well, they weren't flagged, so the refs didn't deem them cheap. The name of the game is to hit the quarterback to get in his head and throw him off his game. I'd say they succeeded.

The goal of any defensive linemen is to hit the QB, nd get him rattled and to try to get him out the game with legal hits. Call them cheap shots if you want but by rule they are legal.
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Baldyy View Post
    It was obvious they were trying to hurt Favre, instead of just tackling him on one occasion the defender picked him up and pile drived him after the ball was out of his hands. When he gave an end around I believe, even though Favre was completely out of the play they still laid him out. That high low hit that injured him pissed me off the most because there was no flag. I'm really hoping Manning makes a mockery of them in a couple weeks.
    The defender got called for roughing the passer on that play, which IMO wasnt. Favre was throwing the ball off his back foot leaning away from the pass, naturally your legs come up when you do that and he was going to fall backwards on his back anyways. The defender got there as soon as he let go of the ball, his timing was perfect. The high-low hit was the perfect axample of the brady rule though, I was surprised that one wasnt called.
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast