Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: UZR vs Rtot.

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash

UZR vs Rtot.

Can anyone tell me how Rtot works... I've been looking but I can't find any articles on it. From What I've seen of UZR I have a horrible time trusting folks with my statistics If I can't calculate it myself I have issues...

the original primer link from Fan graphs is here.
    http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/..._2003-03-14_0/

certain balls batted into play don't count towards it? Foul balls not in a specific zone don't count. Can't be calculated for pitchers and cathers... No way to account for Outfield arm. I don't like all the holes in it.

So I want to figure out how Rtot works. So I can talk about it with more confidence... cause this UZR stuff seems like a little bit magic. Anybody able to help a guy out with a link?

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Can anyone tell me how Rtot works... I've been looking but I can't find any articles on it. From What I've seen of UZR I have a horrible time trusting folks with my statistics If I can't calculate it myself I have issues...

the original primer link from Fan graphs is here.
    http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/..._2003-03-14_0/

certain balls batted into play don't count towards it? Foul balls not in a specific zone don't count. Can't be calculated for pitchers and cathers... No way to account for Outfield arm. I don't like all the holes in it.

So I want to figure out how Rtot works. So I can talk about it with more confidence... cause this UZR stuff seems like a little bit magic. Anybody able to help a guy out with a link?
    UZR tracks "outfielder arm" as well as an infielder's ability to turn the double play based on opportunities. Pitchers aren't evaluated simply because there's not much need to rate a pitcher's defense- they are involved in very few plays. As for catchers, there's far too many variables to take into consideration and it'd be far behind the infield/outfield runs saved or cost estimate. UZR is not a perfect system, but it's the gold standard of defensive metrics because of all the minute adjustments it makes.

Total Zone (simple explanation here) is essentially a poor man's UZR. Since it's based on Retrosheet data, it can be calculated all the way back to the 1950's. If you want to calculate it, though, you'll have to download all of the data from Retrosheet. For recent years you'll want to use UZR every time, since it's based on actual, not estimated, ball in play data.

It's not a system that you'll be able to calculate unless you've got a database set up. If you're interested in a comprehensive defensive metric that is based on easily accessible statistics, you can give Context-Adjusted Defense a shot. I'm currently in the process of replicating it, and let me tell you- it's quite time-consuming. And I haven't seen anyone but its creator and Mike Emeigh calculate it effectively.
    My blog- analysis of the San Francisco Giants, Baseball, and Sabermetrics.