Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    21,120
    vCash
    1000

    How often do NL Pitchers Bat Last (Aaron Harang batting 8th tonight???)?


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    22,002
    vCash
    1500
    Do you mean how often to pitchers bat 8th? Not often.

    Predominantly they bat ninth. Would have to say that's pretty universal in the NL and interleague games for AL teams in NL parks. LaRussa used to bat his pitcher 8th a decent portion of the time but it's not that frequent.
    Last edited by metswon69; 05-05-2014 at 07:39 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,761
    vCash
    1500
    I've noticed pitchers bat a little earlier in the lineup as of late as well. Always thought it would be best if they batted 9th and at the bottom of the lineup.
    Favourite Teams:

    Boston Red Sox: Disappointing regular season, hoping for good things in 2015.
    Indianapolis Colts: 5-2, Week 8 vs. Steelers
    Dallas Mavericks: New team, hoping for good things this season.
    Ottawa Senators: 4-1-0, games this week vs. Toronto, New Jersey, Chicago

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    20,678
    vCash
    1500
    I think pitchers are best suited as cleanup hitters.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,113
    vCash
    1500
    Maybe it's possible they mathematically score more if the pitcher bats 8th, but I just can't imagine giving the pitcher an extra at bat once every 9 games is advantageous.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    7,209
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by todu82 View Post
    I've noticed pitchers bat a little earlier in the lineup as of late as well. Always thought it would be best if they batted 9th and at the bottom of the lineup.
    Well, teams should have their 5 best hitters in the 1-5 spots and their 3 best hitters 1, 2 and 4.
    It makes a lot of sense to put a better hitter than the pitcher ahead (the 9th spot) of those hitters.


    Here's an article on how often it happens
    http://prestonjg.wordpress.com/2013/...it-most-often/

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    38,800
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    Well, teams should have their 5 best hitters in the 1-5 spots and their 3 best hitters 1, 2 and 4.
    It makes a lot of sense to put a better hitter than the pitcher ahead (the 9th spot) of those hitters.


    Here's an article on how often it happens
    http://prestonjg.wordpress.com/2013/...it-most-often/
    All of this

    Too many teams still batting their best hitters third.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    38,800
    vCash
    1000
    And to the point of the pitcher hitting 8th

    It's not that valuable, but there is value in turning the lineup back over for your better hitters at the top of the lineup to potentially have more men on base.

    Think of your lineup as a cyclical item.

    I think Tango, Litchman, etc estimated it's worth about 2 runs a season.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,580
    vCash
    1500

    How often do NL Pitchers Bat Last (Aaron Harang batting 8th tonight???)?

    And why exactly is it a bad thing having your best hitter bat third?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    52,937
    vCash
    1500
    i personally like the idea of batting thew pitcher 8th
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

    1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    7,209
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by lincecum=future View Post
    And why exactly is it a bad thing having your best hitter bat third?
    It's not.
    It's just not as good as having him hit second.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,428
    vCash
    1500
    Lineup construction barely matters. Just put your guys where they are comfortable or feel like they can succeed and you've done your part as a manager.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    7,209
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    Lineup construction barely matters. Just put your guys where they are comfortable or feel like they can succeed and you've done your part as a manager.
    Put your guys where they are the most productive and get them comfortable and successful in those positions and you've done a better job as a manager.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,428
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    Put your guys where they are the most productive and get them comfortable and successful in those positions and you've done a better job as a manager.
    The SABR mantra of batting your hitters 1-4-2-5 in order of quality is almost utterly meaningless in the context of a single team. Add in all the caveats for being a better power guy, better hit took, etc. and you can see why nobody takes it as a hard and fast rule.

    Most teams don't even know who their best 2 or 3 hitters are going to be. But if you generally put your better hitters higher then you'll do what you set out to accomplish. Even if you have perfect information (nobody ever does) and optimize your lineup every single day (impossible to happen in practice) it will only mean a handful of runs.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    7,209
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    The SABR mantra of batting your hitters 1-4-2-5 in order of quality is almost utterly meaningless in the context of a single team. Add in all the caveats for being a better power guy, better hit took, etc. and you can see why nobody takes it as a hard and fast rule.

    Most teams don't even know who their best 2 or 3 hitters are going to be. But if you generally put your better hitters higher then you'll do what you set out to accomplish. Even if you have perfect information (nobody ever does) and optimize your lineup every single day (impossible to happen in practice) it will only mean a handful of runs.
    Sure

    But, if a manager can't convince a hitter that hitting second, where he'll get more PA's in a season and be less likely to be standing on deck when the game ends, is better for him and the team than him hitting third then he's not a very persuasive manager or he's got a pretty stubborn player.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •