Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 13 of 101 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 1504
  1. #181
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New York/Florida
    Posts
    30,214
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyland View Post
    But theres more goals than "toning" and "bulking", which makes it understandable and logical why one would put push ups in place for bench press.

    Neurological, strength, speed, ROM, and hypertrophy(I think what you would call "bulking"

    You can gain all these goals with the right push up program, bench press; not so much.

    (there are push ups that aren't easy, most people here or anywhere can hit 70 push ups on average reps....modified push ups would probably max out at 20-30...) Push ups are pretty much the same as bench, except they are VERY good for shoulder health at the same time, as most people start off benching incorrectly and end up with bad shoulders.

    I like to do my push ups on two dumbells. You can go deeper, good for the wrists and it throws in some instability too, which makes it more challenging. Push ups translate to about 2/3rds of your bodyweight because of the legs being on the floor etc. If they are too easy, try a backpack with some weights in it to make it harder/heavier.


    For Power(speed and strength), flexibility(ROM), neuorlogical improvements(More complex movememnt incorporating more muscles)

    Push ups are the way to go...bench definitely puts work into the triceps and pectorals, I guess it works for the bulk.


    I couldnt agree with the bolded statement more. I see many incorrect benches done in the gym.

    I think we need to put your theory to the test. There are members of this thread who are into toning up aside from bulking. How about you post a push up program that you know to be affective and we'll try it our for a month to see how effective it is? What do ya think? It should be a win/win situation, you can post the outcome of the test on your website.
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

  2. #182
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    1,996
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Stamina View Post
    I couldnt agree with the bolded statement more. I see many incorrect benches done in the gym.

    I think we need to put your theory to the test. There are members of this thread who are into toning up aside from bulking. How about you post a push up program that you know to be affective and we'll try it our for a month to see how effective it is? What do ya think? It should be a win/win situation, you can post the outcome of the test on your website.
    I would be down to try that program. Im getting into the mindset that im gona try and do more toning now, especially my chest, so a pushup program would be ideal

  3. #183
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    16,898
    vCash
    1500
    Tomorrow's lift should be very interesting.

    Since Thanksgiving break is now, i'm going to miss 4 days in the gym.

    I did Chest and Back this week so far, but it looks like i'm going to do my shoulders/traps, legs, and arms workout all in one day.
    COME VISIT THE PSD FITNESS FORUM!!![/B][/CENTER]

  4. #184
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canadian In Michigan.
    Posts
    42,039
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Stamina View Post
    What's the "crazy" diet that your on?
    Annorexia. Just kidding. Its just a diet where I have a lot less total calories eaten throughout a day. Its working.

    Im having really serious workouts. Never felt this strong.
    Did back today and did Chest/Bis yesterday.

  5. #185
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    16,898
    vCash
    1500
    Holy ****, my body is dead.

    Great workout, but now its time for Turkey Day.
    COME VISIT THE PSD FITNESS FORUM!!![/B][/CENTER]

  6. #186
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,473
    vCash
    1500
    Man this thread really died of late. Moving on, My back has started to look good now , And it's two days away from summer so everythings good.

  7. #187
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canadian In Michigan.
    Posts
    42,039
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BrizzleBear View Post
    Man this thread really died of late. Moving on, My back has started to look good now , And it's two days away from summer so everythings good.
    Explain.


    No workout today... homework.... that i continue to put off because of PSD

  8. #188
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    16,898
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsforever View Post
    Explain.


    No workout today... homework.... that i continue to put off because of PSD
    He is from New Zealand.

    It's summer there.
    COME VISIT THE PSD FITNESS FORUM!!![/B][/CENTER]

  9. #189
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Hometown of Jerry Hairston
    Posts
    51,278
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsforever View Post
    Explain.


    No workout today... homework.... that i continue to put off because of PSD
    He lives in New Zealand, their seasons are the opposite from ours .

  10. #190
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bronx
    Posts
    230
    vCash
    1500
    Well, this is my push up routine

    600 push ups in 15 minutes.

    50/50/50 cycle = 150

    4 sets. = 4X150 = 600

    Set 1
    1. 50 Regular push ups(if u could get two dumbbells, do push ups on those)
    (coming down should be slow, coming up should be explosive)
    30 seconds rest
    2.50 Wide hand push ups
    30 seconds rest
    3. 50 Diamond push ups
    30 seconds rest

    Set 1 completed.
    Rest another 30 seconds.
    Go into Set 2

    Set 2 is a repitition of Set 1.

    minute rest after Set 2.

    Go into Set 3

    Set 3.
    1. 50 fist knuckle push ups (make a punch and do push ups on your knuckles)
    2. 25 medicine ball push ups X2
    3. 25 clap push ups X 2

    Set 4
    Repeat Set 3.


    Basically, this can EASILY be periodized; just increase the reps from 50 to 75, and do the push ups more explosive(speed with strength to generate power), but keep control of the movement.

    I do this 3 days a week atleast.

    To write a program for everyone, I gotta know your personal background, age, height, weight, VO2 max, athletic background...

    One size doesn't fit all, so it wouldn't really make sense to do my program

    I'm only 5"9 and 160 lbs...I do boxing, and im pretty sure most people in this thread are bigger than me, so it may be different. You could try it out for the challenge.

  11. #191
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canadian In Michigan.
    Posts
    42,039
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by hughest4 View Post
    He is from New Zealand.

    It's summer there.
    Oh... I didn't even check his location. But i actually did know that.

    Anways i plan on hopping back into the gym after a good week last week and an unwanted day off today

  12. #192
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canadian In Michigan.
    Posts
    42,039
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by hughest4 View Post
    He is from New Zealand.

    It's summer there.
    Oh... I didn't even check his location. But i actually did know that it was opposite.

    Anways i plan on hopping back into the gym after a good week last week and an unwanted day off today

  13. #193
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New York/Florida
    Posts
    30,214
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyland View Post
    Well, this is my push up routine

    600 push ups in 15 minutes.

    50/50/50 cycle = 150

    4 sets. = 4X150 = 600

    Set 1
    1. 50 Regular push ups(if u could get two dumbbells, do push ups on those)
    (coming down should be slow, coming up should be explosive)
    30 seconds rest
    2.50 Wide hand push ups
    30 seconds rest
    3. 50 Diamond push ups
    30 seconds rest

    Set 1 completed.
    Rest another 30 seconds.
    Go into Set 2

    Set 2 is a repitition of Set 1.

    minute rest after Set 2.

    Go into Set 3

    Set 3.
    1. 50 fist knuckle push ups (make a punch and do push ups on your knuckles)
    2. 25 medicine ball push ups X2
    3. 25 clap push ups X 2

    Set 4
    Repeat Set 3.


    Basically, this can EASILY be periodized; just increase the reps from 50 to 75, and do the push ups more explosive(speed with strength to generate power), but keep control of the movement.

    I do this 3 days a week atleast.

    To write a program for everyone, I gotta know your personal background, age, height, weight, VO2 max, athletic background...

    One size doesn't fit all, so it wouldn't really make sense to do my program

    I'm only 5"9 and 160 lbs...I do boxing, and im pretty sure most people in this thread are bigger than me, so it may be different. You could try it out for the challenge.
    Thanks for the post, i think Dr. Dro will give this a shot.
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

  14. #194
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New York/Florida
    Posts
    30,214
    vCash
    1500
    Been a little MIA since Turkey Day, hit the gym for the first time in almost a week. Did a killer leg workout followed by Biceps.

    Squats x4:

    started with 90 lbs (45 on each side), incremented by 90 lbs for each set.

    Leg Press x5:

    Started off with 180lbs (2/45 plates on each side), incremented by 180lbs for each set

    Calf Raises x3:

    started with 90lbs (45 on each side) incremented by 90 for each set

    Hamstring Curls x3:

    This is a plate machine, started off with 25 lbs and incremented by 10lbs for each set

    Front Leg Raises x4:

    Another plate machine, started off with 70lbs on each side and incremented by 10lbs for each set



    Standing Single Arm Bicep Curls x4:

    Started with 40lb dumbells and increaed by 5lbs for each set


    Reverse Barbell Curls x3:

    Started off with just the bar itself and increased by 10lbs for each set

    Hammer Curls x3:

    Started off with 40lb dumbells and increased by 5lbs for each set

    High Cable Curls x3:

    Started off with 40lbs and increased by 10lbs for each set


    Done!


    Tomorrow is Shoulder Day, Can't wait!!
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

  15. #195
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    10,045
    vCash
    1500
    I need to figure out some leg lifts.. I look so stupid in they gym trying to come up with some lifts.. im like a lost dog.. but on upperbody days , i take all 1:10 atleast.. lowerbody i just dont know other then leg press and calf raises and these leg kick back things.. i sometimes will use the eliptical and throw in some bball



    i cant squat or deadlift because my back

    i need to make my body more proportional and leg workouts should help me with baseball, and putting on weight for next season.. my offense wont throw me the ball from a wing t.. im a 6'3'' 170 wr but have like no body fat so its muscular not skinny, im looking to weigh 190 so i can play a wing role

Page 13 of 101 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •