Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Does the NHL need help?

This thread is to discuss what you think the current state of the league is and what it needs to be more competitive in the U.S. Professional market.

Personally I see one of the major problems being lack of enough exposure on National TV as well as most of the "Big Market teams" being inconsistent and usually not very good (L.A. - NYR The Islanders The Blackhawk's The islanders again) these teams in largest cities in the country need to be good to hold their fan bases Luckily it looks like all of these teams have made steps in the right direction

The other problem is the length of the season as much as i love it, its far too long. Not only does the season drag on into june, it directly competes with the NBA which is just a bad idea.

The nhl has recently started marketing its marquee players a little better but unfortunately is still not doing enough. Also they shouldnt take out Fighting... it doesnt keep people away and very seldom happens now anyway. If they keep making the game "more finesse based" and taking away the advantages of size and strength pretty soon it will be golf or worse Baseball.... people dont watch hockey to see a kind gentle game they wanna see amazing goals but they also wanna see some violence.

these are my thoughts...anyone else?

I Feel the biggest problems with the NHL is the lack of leadership,Owners have full control fo the NHL because without them it will only exsist in Canada

A lot of fans in America prefer basketball,baseball, and football because the majority of the players are american. Hockey is too expensive to play, my own school for example had a hockey rink right next to it,literally next to the parking lot, and we still didn't have a hockey team.Also people in america don't have the time for hockey, its not something a kid can practice in his back yard.

The NHL needs to get back on ESPN, and move all the teams that are struggling to sell tickets to better hockey markets in America.
    Last edited by aman_13; 09-22-2009 at 05:24 PM.
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

Sorry, double post.
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

The NHL needs to do something different, thats for sure. I live in Pittsburgh and hockey is huge here, but not too long ago you could get a great ticket for $20. In most cities, you put a good team on the ice, people will show up, generally. The NHL already has a salary cap in place, which I think its so important. Can you imagine if there was no league minimum a team must spend how crappy some teams would be? I cant imagine how bad the Islanders, Coyotes and Thrashers would be without a salary cap.

It would be huge if ESPN would air games again, also it would be great if NHL 2Nite was put back on the air. ESPN dedicates literally 2 minutes a night for hockey coverage. The dam network airs Poker, Bowling, Tennis and Nascar (more so ABC) why cant the NHL work something out with ESPN????

Yes, the NHL airs games on NBC, but I feel like the first game isnt until after new years...and its one a game a week, best case. This simply i not sufficient...

Gary Bettman needs to get off his *** and fix this

ESPN and the other major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox etc) aren't going to air something they know won't get ratings and until the NHL powers that be in control of marketing devise a plan on how to get some buzz rolling it will stay that way...its unfortunate but a harsh reality nonetheless...

Quote Originally Posted by Cessna View Post
    ESPN and the other major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox etc) aren't going to air something they know won't get ratings and until the NHL powers that be in control of marketing devise a plan on how to get some buzz rolling it will stay that way...its unfortunate but a harsh reality nonetheless...
    I think the buzz is rolling. The Winter Classic is huge with people who don't even care about hockey. This Stanley Cup was one of the most watched in years. The buzz is rolling, but if they don't get games on ESPN two or three times a week, they're ****ed. People want to see Ovie, Crosby, Malkin, Kane, Towes and I think after this Winter Classic, Lucic, Richards, Carter and a few of those guys.

The Winter Classic has been creating the buzz.

Just gotta start getting these guys on TV more on bigger channels for sports than say, the weekly NBC game they carry starting midway through the year.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 09-22-2009 at 07:33 PM.
    1st Place...the only place that matters

I really think collapsing the league to 26 teams would be fine. No answer is easy if even plausible but get rid of Phoenix, Atlanta, Florida, and Nashville. Then have a contraction draft and think about how awesome that would be? That alone would produce fans. Think if there was a draft next year with Kovalchuk, Doan, Horton, Booth, Weiss, Slava Kozlov, Antropov, Vokoun, Dumont, Legwand, Arnott, Weber...etc. Then the NHL could rework a contract with ESPN an there would be less of a chance to have a ****** game on that nobody would watch. The talent on the remaining 26 rosters would be better an the games would be easier to watch for the casual fan. I dont think anything is easy but thats an idea I would hope they are considering. Despite all that though, is the NHL really doing thaaaat terrible that action needs to occur immediately?

Also I think the NHL needs another voice preferably American or at least a Canadian who speaks clear English. Crosby is fine but someone else of elite talent needs to step up. I wish Iginla would be in a more Americanized market because he would be absolutely perfect as the centerpiece of the league.

Why do people keep mentioning Nashville when it comes to contraction? They aren't even in the bottom of the league when it comes to attendance and are fairly popular around Nashville lately...especially with all the playoff appearances...until last year it was like 4 or 5 seasons in a row...

Quote Originally Posted by Cessna View Post
    Why do people keep mentioning Nashville when it comes to contraction? They aren't even in the bottom of the league when it comes to attendance and are fairly popular around Nashville lately...especially with all the playoff appearances...until last year it was like 4 or 5 seasons in a row...
    I was just about to say that. They eat the Preds up in Nashville, shockingly.

Well then who else would you contract if you took away 4? Gotta be at least Atlanta, Phoenix, and Florida. I dont think you can also get rid of Tampa.

Quote Originally Posted by pf289 View Post
    Well then who else would you contract if you took away 4? Gotta be at least Atlanta, Phoenix, and Florida. I dont think you can also get rid of Tampa.
    I don't think a contraction will work with all the teams in salary cap hell. No one can take on those contracts in a "draft" without dumping other players. It wont work for the league, and the NHLPA will never allow that to happen because of the amount of jobs it's going to lose in the process.

Moving the bad franchises, like Phoenix, Florida and potentially Atlanta north to Canada or simply, places that would love to have an NHL franchise is the way to go.

But thats not gonna solve the issue. It will band aid it until down the road when it catches up to them. **** Bettman

moving NHL teams to Canada is only gonna bring American fans away from hockey,therefore less money for NHL, no way it will happen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast