Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Question Where Does Kobe Bryant TRULY Rank Among the All-Time Greats?

I know we've had the PSD voting for Top 10 Players of all time, but I just watched this video after 3 months, and it got me really thinking.

Look, I'm not saying anything about Kobe Bryant being better than MJ, or Lebron, or Wade, or blah blah blah, and I'm not being a Kobe homer, but we really must ask where he ranks with his recent 4th Title and 1st Finals MVP. It's a legit question (no homerism), I REALLY WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT EVERYONE THINKS, that includes Kobe supporters, but mainly, Kobe non-supporters, as well as the objective NBA Fan.

I have posted a video, where Kenny the Jet, Sir Charles, Ahmad Rashad discuss where Kobe is ranked among the all-time greats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQkYxfenDHA

Kenny the Jet mentions that his former teammate that he won 2 titles with, Hakeem the Dream Olajuwon, is not top 10 because he was not "as dominant as Kobe". That's a pretty bold statement by a guy who won titles with The Dream. He actually played with the dude.

So what I would like is truly where you think he ranks among the all-time greats. I want SOLID ARGUMENTS, no baiting, no bashing, and if you really feel you don't have anything significant to contribute, then don't post on this thread at all. Everyone's opinions (non-insulting, non-baiting) MATTER!

Kobe's Career:

4 Titles in 6 Finals Appearances
    1 Finals MVP
    1 League MVP
    3 All-Star Game MVPs
    1 Olympic Gold Medal
    1 Slam Dunk Title
    2 Scoring Titles

My Ranks of Top 10:

1. Michael Jordan
    2. Magic Johnson
    3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    4. Bill Russell
    5. Larry Bird
    6. Wilt Chamberlain
    7. Shaquille O'Neal
    8. Jerry West
    9. Tim Duncan
    10. Kobe Bryant

----------
    11. Hakeem Olajuwon
    12. Elgin Baylor

You DO NOT HAVE TO AGREE WITH ME, but what I ask of is legit arguments.

Thank you for your time.

vCash
    Most likely in the teens.

10th at best.

vCash
    I think Kobe accomplished more then duncan so I would switch Kobe from your list from 10 to 9

vCash
    to be honest, i would put him ahead of timmy and put timmy after hakeem.

2014 Atlantic Division Champions!
    Let's Go Raptors! #ProveEm #WeNotMe

48-34

vCash
    Really?

Duncan has the same amount of titles and with 1 more MVP and 2 more Finals MVP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ko8e24 View Post
    I know we've had the PSD voting for Top 10 Players of all time, but I just watched this video after 3 months, and it got me really thinking.

Look, I'm not saying anything about Kobe Bryant being better than MJ, or Lebron, or Wade, or blah blah blah, and I'm not being a Kobe homer, but we really must ask where he ranks with his recent 4th Title and 1st Finals MVP. It's a legit question (no homerism), I REALLY WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT EVERYONE THINKS, that includes Kobe supporters, but mainly, Kobe non-supporters, as well as the objective NBA Fan.

I have posted a video, where Kenny the Jet, Sir Charles, Ahmad Rashad discuss where Kobe is ranked among the all-time greats.

Kenny the Jet mentions that his former teammate that he won 2 titles with, Hakeem the Dream Olajuwon, is not top 10 because he was not "as dominant as Kobe". That's a pretty bold statement by a guy who won titles with The Dream. He actually played with the dude.

So what I would like is truly where you think he ranks among the all-time greats. I want SOLID ARGUMENTS, no baiting, no bashing, and if you really feel you don't have anything significant to contribute, then don't post on this thread at all. Everyone's opinions (non-insulting, non-baiting) MATTER!

Kobe's Career:

1 Finals MVP
    1 League MVP
    3 All-Star Game MVPs
    1 Olympic Gold Medal
    1 Slam Dunk Title
    2 Scoring Titles

My Ranks of Top 10:

1. Michael Jordan
    2. Magic Johnson
    3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    4. Bill Russell
    5. Larry Bird
    6. Wilt Chamberlain
    7. Shaquille O'Neal
    8. Jerry West
    9. Tim Duncan
    10. Kobe Bryant

----------
    11. Hakeem Olajuwon
    12. Elgin Baylor

Thank you for your time.

Take West out from 8th and put Hakeem there.

To me to be in the top 10 you have to be a guy who has won multiple titles as the best player on your team.

And for those saying Duncan is not top 10, then name me some other guys that have multiple league and finals mvp's?

List
    MJ
    Magic
    Kareem
    Bird
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

vCash
    On the real and being fair as I can to Kobe, he is one of the best players Ive ever seen and Id have to think about all the greats and evaluate where Id rank them but Kobe would rank among the top 10 easy.

By your list Ko8e 24 I definitely put him ahead of Shaq and Jerry West(West got to the finals enough but wasnt nearly as lethal as Kobe). So I would put him at #7 on that list with Duncan being close behind then Shaq and West.

I may give you Laker fans alot a s**t especially Bryant but being truthful I will miss the guy when he stops playing because he is the real big ticket and gives every fan their moneys worth night in night out.

There Laker fans I finally admitted Kobe's greatness, and he is great.
    Last edited by blazerman; 09-23-2009 at 12:16 AM.

vCash
    If Kobe retired today, off the top of my head the guys who rank higher imo are (in no serious order) Jordan, Magic, Kareem, Russell, Oscar, Shaq, Olajuwon, Duncan, Bird, Garnett, and I guess Jerry West. (Although if he actually did retire today, chances are a few current players could pass him - Dirk being one main example.)
    If we're discussing championships though, we have to consider guys who don't have titles (or have a limited amount of titles) solely because they were playing in the Jordan era. This to me includes Barkley, Malone, Stockton, and Robinson.

Depending on how the rest of his career plays out (as well as the active players I have listed), I think it's realistic that he'll pass Stockton and Barkley with no problem and probably end out in the mid-teen range.

vCash
    Kobe is the second best SG of all time.
    He is one of the most complete basketball players of all time.
    The only reason he didn't win more MVPs was because he played with Shaq.

Second best SG, top 10 player of all time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theuuord View Post
    If Kobe retired today, off the top of my head the guys who rank higher imo are (in no serious order) Jordan, Magic, Kareem, Russell, Oscar, Shaq, Olajuwon, Duncan, Bird, Garnett, and I guess Jerry West. (Although if he actually did retire today, chances are a few current players could pass him - Dirk being one main example.)
    If we're discussing championships though, we have to consider guys who don't have titles (or have a limited amount of titles) solely because they were playing in the Jordan era. This to me includes Barkley, Malone, Stockton, and Robinson.

Depending on how the rest of his career plays out (as well as the active players I have listed), I think it's realistic that he'll pass Stockton and Barkley with no problem and probably end out in the mid-teen range.
    No way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ko8e24 View Post

Kobe's Career:

1 Finals MVP
    1 League MVP
    3 All-Star Game MVPs
    1 Olympic Gold Medal
    1 Slam Dunk Title
    2 Scoring Titles

My Ranks of Top 10:

1. Michael Jordan
    2. Magic Johnson
    3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    4. Bill Russell
    5. Larry Bird
    6. Wilt Chamberlain
    7. Shaquille O'Neal
    8. Jerry West
    9. Tim Duncan
    10. Kobe Bryant

----------
    11. Hakeem Olajuwon
    12. Elgin Baylor

Thank you for your time.
    Kenny the Jet had it about right. I would rank Kobe above Shaq though. Horry gave Shaq at least one of those championships...and Kobe...I still would take Kobe over Shaq, especially with 5-7 more years to go with Kobe.

Kobe is better than West though. That part is wrong. The rest is pretty decent. Hakeem.....maybe if he played in LA, etc...with more hype...he might be in there somewhere...or he is # 11.
    Last edited by LakerzFan1971; 09-23-2009 at 12:22 AM.

vCash
    1. Michael Jordan
    2. Magic Johnson
    3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    4. Larry Bird
    5. Wilt Chamberlain
    6. Bill Russel
    7. Shaquille O'Neal
    8. Hakeem Olajuwon
    9. Tim Duncan
    10. Kobe Bryant
    11. Jerry west

right now, a top 10. When he retires probably one or two places higher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LakerzFan1971 View Post
    Kenny the Jet had it about right. I would rank Kobe above Shaq though. Horry gave Shaq at least one of those championships...and Kobe...I still would take Kobe over Shaq, especially with 5-7 more years to go with Kobe.

Kobe is better than West though. That part is wrong. The rest is pretty decent. Hakeem.....maybe if he played in LA, etc...with more hype...he might be in there somewhere...or he is # 11.

well, thats not his fault, cant really blame him for that. u have to see the art work of basketball by each legend, and hakeem's body of work is definitely top 10 worthy, but I do feel Kobe has surpassed him in the all-time rankings, especially with this recent title and finals mvp

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BkOriginalOne View Post
    No way.
    Quite the converse. Comparing the two as individuals and not for their team accolades, I'd take Garnett in a close one.

vCash
    Kobe is top 5-7 all time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast