Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Offseason Outlook: New York Mets

by TIM DIERKES, MLB Trade Rumors

Next up in our Offseason Outlook series, the Mets.

Their commitments for 2010:

C - Omir Santos - $400K
    C - Josh Thole - $400K
    1B - Daniel Murphy - $401K
    2B - Luis Castillo - $6MM
    SS - Jose Reyes - $9MM
    3B - David Wright - $10MM
    IF - Anderson Hernandez - $400K
    LF - Angel Pagan - $575K+
    CF - Carlos Beltran - $18.5MM
    RF - Jeff Francoeur - $3.375MM+
    OF - Cory Sullivan - $600K+
    OF - Jeremy Reed - $925K+
    1B/LF - Nick Evans - $403K or OF - Fernando Martinez - $400K

SP - Johan Santana - $21MM
    SP - John Maine - $2.6MM+
    SP - Mike Pelfrey - $1.3125MM
    SP - Oliver Perez - $12MM
    SP - Jon Niese - $400K

Other candidates: Fernando Nieve - $414K, Tim Redding - $2.25MM+

RP - Francisco Rodriguez - $11.5MM
    RP - Pedro Feliciano - $1.6125MM+
    RP - Sean Green - $471K+
    RP - Pat Misch - $402K
    RP - Bobby Parnell - $400K
    RP - Brian Stokes - $410K
    RP - Carlos Muniz - $402K

Other commitments: J.J. Putz - $1MM buyout

Non-tender candidates: Redding, Maine, Nelson Figueroa

That puts the Mets at about $105MM, plus arbitration raises to Pagan, Francoeur, Sullivan, Reed, Maine, Feliciano, Green, and Redding (some of whom will likely be non-tendered). The Mets are in the $110MM ballpark after entering the '09 season with a $149.4MM payroll. Omar Minaya should have $35-40MM to patch his team's many holes.

The Mets have a strong core of superstars, and their collective health almost has to improve in 2010. I don't see the logic behind trading Reyes, Wright, Beltran, or Santana.

The Mets need a catcher, first baseman, and corner outfielder. They may be competing with the Braves for certain first base and left field candidates. But the Mets also need at least one solid starting pitcher as well as bullpen help.

The catching market is weak, but pairing someone like Gregg Zaun with Thole makes sense. First base presents more options. Who's a bigger health risk - Carlos Delgado at 38 or Nick Johnson at 31? Johnson's .428 OBP is hard to ignore.

The market is flush with left fielders. With so many needs, I have a hard time seeing Minaya take a run at Manny Ramirez, Matt Holliday, or Jason Bay. Johnny Damon, Bobby Abreu, and Jermaine Dye are more reasonable targets. With Castillo, Johnson, Wright, Beltran, and Abreu, the Mets would potentially have five .400 OBP players. Zaun (assuming the Rays let him go), Johnson, and Abreu could be signed for less than $25MM in 2010 salaries.

With the remaining money I'd attempt to lure Randy Wolf from the West Coast while also pursuing Erik Bedard, Brad Penny, Randy Johnson, Carl Pavano, or Ben Sheets for a one-year deal. Admittedly there wouldn't be much left to spend on relievers, but decent arms can be found for a million or two.

Certainly the Mets could use top free agents like Holliday and John Lackey. However, the available money would be better used to acquire four or five sensible free agents.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/0...york-mets.html

K-Rod makes waaaaay WAY too much money, and even then I feel Ollie is a worse offender HAHAHA Ollie sucks so much. If Francoeur gets a raise, then the arbitration system is broken.
    We better win a ****ing world series before Wright and Reyes get a real salary.

I agree, as much as people think Offense is a bigger need I think our pitching is our worse problem. Go for Lackey and go cheap on outfielder chances, Abreu could be a perfect leadoff hitter IMO. Lackey is a must, throw him money no question asked.

Realistic offseason outlook: Deep ****

Quote Originally Posted by VenezuelanMet View Post
    K-Rod makes waaaaay WAY too much money, and even then I feel Ollie is a worse offender HAHAHA Ollie sucks so much. If Francoeur gets a raise, then the arbitration system is broken.
    We better win a ****ing world series before Wright and Reyes get a real salary.

I agree, as much as people think Offense is a bigger need I think our pitching is our worse problem. Go for Lackey and go cheap on outfielder chances, Abreu could be a perfect leadoff hitter IMO. Lackey is a must, throw him money no question asked.

Realistic offseason outlook: Deep ****
    I don't usually like to post in the Mets forum, but I just felt compelled to say the same thing you did. Perez's contract may be one of the worst deals ever. It may even top Adam Eaton

$35-$40m????

lmfao.

If you can get Bedard on a 1 year deal sign me up for it.

The other guys he mention, Penny, R.J., Pavano, Sheets just say no to, this is not 6 years ago.

Zaun is a guy I would like. Omir is awful and Thole needs at least another year to get better defensively. Please do not make another mistake and sign Ivan or Ramon or Bengie who I liked at times, but upon seen his numbers he is just as bad and more costly.

...and while I was on the DeRosa bandwagon his numbers have completely tail off and should not be a starting LF, but he is better than anything else they got.

Before you spend a dime on any free agents, go get Dave Duncan as your pitching coach. If it also means firing Manuel to get Larussa, then you do it.

Now after Duncan, go sign 2 pitchers from among, Bedard, Wolf, Pineiro, Garland, Myers and Marquis.

Greg Zaun is not a bad option as a catcher.

If there is no money left then you will have to go with what you've got...Murphy, Pagan , Sullivan , Reed and hope that Beltran, Santana and Reyes are healthy and that Wright regains his power stroke.

If there is a little money left than Bobby Abreu for 1 year is not a bad option.

Lackey, Lackey, Lackey...

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    If you can get Bedard on a 1 year deal sign me up for it.

The other guys he mention, Penny, R.J., Pavano, Sheets just say no to, this is not 6 years ago.

Zaun is a guy I would like. Omir is awful and Thole needs at least another year to get better defensively. Please do not make another mistake and sign Ivan or Ramon or Bengie who I liked at times, but upon seen his numbers he is just as bad and more costly.

...and while I was on the DeRosa bandwagon his numbers have completely tail off and should not be a starting LF, but he is better than anything else they got.
    This is the first I heard of Zaun as an option. Like it. But I would keep Santos and have Thole do a year at Buffalo with best catching coach I could find.

Whoever wrote this needs to learn more about baseball.

The Mets need a #2 pitcher before they need injury prone powerless first basemen like Nick Johnson. Sign Lackey at all costs, and then worry about everything else later.

I'd rather let Omir just stick in there at catcher with Thole platooning than spend money on the multitude of sucky, crap catchers out there.

Is there more than one Gregg Zaun? I'm a little confused what is so special about a 38 year old journeyman catcher with a career .251 batting average and .387 slugging percentage...How is he that much different than Brian Schneider? Other than he's older, and has gotten to hit in better home "hitters" parks...

Quote Originally Posted by Hustla23 View Post
    Whoever wrote this needs to learn more about baseball.

The Mets need a #2 pitcher before they need injury prone powerless first basemen like Nick Johnson. Sign Lackey at all costs, and then worry about everything else later.

I'd rather let Omir just stick in there at catcher with Thole platooning than spend money on the multitude of sucky, crap catchers out there.
    Agreed, Pitching is way more important. I'd rather have Pagan (gasp) playing everyday than having Pelfrey/Maine/Ollie as the important part of the rotation again. IMO We need to sign Lackey and a pitcher like Wolf as well, I think Pelfrey and Ollie need to be on the depth chart the 4th and 5th starter. Oh and ******** signings like Redding and Livan can't happen this year.

Catching I dunno, it seems like everyone sucks on that position, I'd give the work to Thole.

The is not much better than Zaun, only guys that will be more expensive and cost you possible draft picks.

That's why you sign a cheap guy to fill that role. Zaun also at least gets on base at a decent pace unlike most of the guys available.

Omir is better than Thole on defense.

And it seems like Thole has the better bat.

So why not let them platoon?

I agree Zaun at this point is better than both, but if the Mets are cost cutting, I don't think will be that big of a concern to make a marginal upgrade.

Also if Thole can really improve his defense, to the point where it's maybe only slightly less valuable than Omir's defense, then he should be the starter.

Catcher defense and ability to call a game is much more valuable than offense.

Thole needs more time in AAA period, time used to learn to be a better catcher. You cannot do that at the MLB level in such an important position.

why dont we get barajas for catcher?

"It's not enough that I succeed, others should fail."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast