Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Heatley's a Shark!

vCash
    well since there are no sens responding, I think this is a good deal for OTT. Michalek is a solid 20-30 goal scorer and Cheecho needs a change of scenary. He did put up 56 goals not too long age, but he declined in production ever since. I think he might be able to put up 20 or so goals playing on a good line.

vCash
    um..I think for the first 1-2 years it will be great and then a rapid down hill from there

Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net

vCash
    If both Michalek and Cheecho can put up 25- 30 goals we will be better of then with Heatley. As long as they want to be in O-Town.

vCash
    Is this really fair value?

vCash
    According to the 'Sam Pollock rule', not even close, Tito.

vCash
    This is a great deal for both sides. Cheechoo would have never been able to be a good let alone great player again in SJ, a new atmosphere will resurrect his career and he will be a great player for the Sens long-term. Expect 30 goals from him every season for the next several. Michalek is very young, has a ton of potential, but the Sharks had to get rid of him, like Cheechoo, because of his contract. He will also be a very good player for the Sens. And the 2nd round pick will end up helping you guys in the future, where that 4th round pick you gave up will amount to nothing most likely. The Sens got just what they needed and will be a true contender for that 8th spot because of it. On the other hand, the Sharks also got exactly what they needed. They got a pure scorer, one of the best Left wings in the game. Thornton will be able to put up 100+ points with this guy and Heater will definitely be close to 50 goals. Of course the Sharks would have liked to keep Michalek, but bth him and Cheechoo were overpaid and hurt the sharks a lot when it came to the Salary cap, but now the Sharks have a little more room, and will probably still trade Marleau, to fil the few empty spots on their roster. So overall, I think it makes both teams better in the long run, Ottawa will be a top 10 team in the East, with a legit shot at the playoffs, and SJ just made assured themselves as the West favorite(regular season) and may be better in the playoffs because of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CHj0dMkK6A

New Video. Isles season highlights 2011-12!

vCash
    Expecting Cheechoo to be a perennial 30 goal scorer is a big stretch. Four seasons ago he scored 56 goals and followed that with 37 the next. Since then he has scored 23 and 12. He is now 29. it seems he's going the wrong way and he won't have Joe Thornton setting him up anymore. He has scored a grand total of 16 career goals in the playoffs and never more than 4 in a playoff year. He will be paid $3.5mil this year and next.
    Michalek will be 25 this year and has scored 26,24 and 23 the last three seasons. He is a nice piece that hasn't become the player that SJ hoped when they gave him a long term deal that will see him paid $6mil in 2013-14.
    Sure SJ has to pay Heater $7mil but for a single-faceted player he performs that facet very well. If they had their druthers surely the Sens would have kept him. An unfortunate situation for the Sens but maybe the 2nd rounder will rise above his draft position and help them.
    Final 'Sam Pollock tally' : SJ wins.
    Last edited by swoop; 09-15-2009 at 08:53 AM. Reason: spelling

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tito Santana View Post
    Is this really fair value?
    I think it is, Yes Heatly was agreat player but if he was going to be a real cancer in the locker room. I think that we had to get the best offer that we could and SJ made that offer for us. SJ gave us two good player, goal leader 5 years ago, with great winger he can reach the 30 to 40 goals, I cant see him reaching 56 like he did before but I would be happy with 30. Michalek can very well be a 20 to 30 goal. Also need to remember that we traded a 5th round pick for a 2nd round. That will give us a better chance in the draft.

vCash
    Decent deal for both sides. I actually think the Sharks got the better end of it.

I like that SJ made some cap room. Cheech and Milan are good players but weren't exactly earning their money on the second and third lines. Heatley is just what SJ needed. Our front line should be right at the top. Joe will make sure Heatley puts up big numbers.

Cheecho is a solid player but has been on the decline. Milan has tons of potential and should still score 20+ goals a year. He's so ****ing fast, it's ridiculous but his style of play leaves him injury prone.

vCash
    NOW Melnyk realizes its a bad idea to sign players to big, front-loaded contracts (with dopey bonus clauses thrown in). How did these multi-millionaires (now billionaires) manage to be so successful in the business of commerce and so inept in the business of sports? I suppose they treat their other businesses like businesses and their sports franchises like toys. Big mistake.