Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Brady Restructures Deal

Per Adam Schefter-
    In a deal turned into NFL today, Tom Brady restructured his contract to give NE $24 million more in cash to spend.

He goes on to say this money will be used to lock up McCourty/Soldier and Revis long term.

Source: Twitter
    Jet's forum Banned 10/23/11

vCash

Best QB EVER.

vCash
    How can anyone not like this man. Just building on his amazing legacy

lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

vCash
    Mccourty, revis, vereen are must signs.

vCash
    Question: Why would releasing Brady before June 2nd in 2015 cause a $42 million dead money hit if his salaries were fully guaranteed? Answer: The $42 million is a total of the $18 million in remaining signing bonus prorations and the $24 million in guaranteed salaries
    Question: Did changing the structure of Brady’s guarantee from fully guaranteed to injury-only free up any cap space now?Answer:No It only lowers the dead money hit if and when a healthy Tom Brady is released.
    Question: How does this benefit the Patriots? Answer: It allows them to avoid putting $24 million in cash in escrow. Remember that Brady is not scheduled to receive some of the $24 million until the 2017 season. Not having $24 million tied up may allow the Patriots to offer their players and free agents larger than average signing bonuses or larger than normal fully guarantees as part of their deals. Removes the precedent of having a veteran having a fully guaranteed contract.
    Question: How does this benefit Tom Brady? Answer: Makes it easier for him to ask to be released, if he chooses to do so. May help the Patriots build a stronger team around him.
    - See more at: http://www.patsfans.com/salary-cap/?....JI4iioMM.dpuf

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yankeefan54 View Post
    Mccourty, revis, vereen are must signs.
    McCourty and Revis for sure.

Vereen I don't know about. He hasn't done much this season, his role has been diminished from the beginning of the year til now. Gronk affects some of that but his poor play has been more of the reason. This team still has a hole in the "3rd down" Danny Woodhead role, Vereen has not stepped up. Unless he comes back really cheap, I doubt he's here next season. They'll see what White has to offer and draft/UFA as a competition.

The 3rd "must sign" is Solder (extension). Now he hasn't played well this season. He's been really bad in stretches followed by "decent" play for others. BUT I ask you? Is he that bad? No, he's just not that great at a very difficult position. Look around the league and how many truly elite LT do you see? I would rather have Solder than half the leagues LT's. We won't find one in FA, and even is we did he'd be far out of BB's price range. We won't have a high enough draft pick to get a legit top 6 OT this upcoming draft. Solder will be signed, he makes the most sense. And a his worst seasons this year benefits us financially knocking down his asking price.

As for Brady, all I can say is, we'll never see another guy like him for the rest of our days. Enjoy it people while you can because it will come to an end, sooner than later. What a great teammate and role model for everyone. The world could use more guys like him and professional sports could definitely use more guys like him. Cheers TB12!

City of Champions

vCash
    Dammit, Tom Brady, you are one chill mother ****er. You alright man. Plus, he's got his wife cracking 9 figures per year. Plus the endorsements...so I think he'll be fine financially.

Dude just wants to win and I hope Pats use that $$$$ to bring back Revis and McCourty at least.

vCash
    Patriot way. If we resign both Revis and Mc plus someone else we are ready to make a run again next year.

vCash
    Reposting some Loyko tweets about it:

mike loyko @nepd_loyko · 43m

this is a cash flow move, so really what it allows #patriots to do is give someone like revis a huge bonus check as signing bonus up front.
    mike loyko @nepd_loyko · 31m

kraft and belichick have always put more focus on cash flow over cap number. The cap is malliable.
    mike loyko @nepd_loyko · 24m

majority of fa signings, extensions players value bonus check over long term $. This just allows #patriots to afford bonus $ for other guys
    mike loyko @nepd_loyko · 1m 1 minute ago

according to @mikereiss #patriots added 1 million to each of brady's remaining 3 years for him to restructure.
    Brady now paid 8m-9m-10m

I'd like to extend Solder cheap while his value is at it's lowest build up the rest of the line and see how he does with another year. I don't know if it was the loss of Dante, Mankins, the concussions or a little bit of everything, but I can't see us giving up on him yet. That 7.5m option is just so much though.

I say grab a stud G in the first or second round, sign a FA and have Connolly, Wendell, Fleming, and the rookie compete for the two spots. Also draft another G early in the 6th with that Tampa pick.

Solder - Rookie - Stork - Fleming/FA - Vollmer

Ideally the rookie would win that starting job quickly and Fleming, with a rookie season and offseason under his belt is able to lock down the other side. Then keep two of Wendell, Connolly, FA or the late pick as depth. One of either Connolly or Wendell would be preferred due to their positional flexibility. If Stork went down they could fill in.

When it comes to Vereen, I wonder if our lack of a deep threat that can stretch the field is having a direct effect on his production.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aust View Post
    Reposting some Loyko tweets about it:

I'd like to extend Solder cheap while his value is at it's lowest build up the rest of the line and see how he does with another year. I don't know if it was the loss of Dante, Mankins, the concussions or a little bit of everything, but I can't see us giving up on him yet. That 7.5m option is just so much though.

I say grab a stud G in the first or second round, sign a FA and have Connolly, Wendell, Fleming, and the rookie compete for the two spots. Also draft another G early in the 6th with that Tampa pick.

Solder - Rookie - Stork - Fleming/FA - Vollmer

Ideally the rookie would win that starting job quickly and Fleming, with a rookie season and offseason under his belt is able to lock down the other side. Then keep two of Wendell, Connolly, FA or the late pick as depth. One of either Connolly or Wendell would be preferred due to their positional flexibility. If Stork went down they could fill in.

When it comes to Vereen, I wonder if our lack of a deep threat that can stretch the field is having a direct effect on his production.
    Highly doubt we pick a G in round 1. I just don't see it happening. We will pick atleast 1 OL but it'll most likely be in round 3-5 like last year. I'd like to see them extend Solder on the cheap end. Bring Connelly back via Free Agency (if his demands are not too high).

Starters: Solder-Connelly-Stork-Wendell-Vollmer
    Backups: Cannon-Kline-Devey-Rookie-Fleming

I don't think Fleming is ready to start yet. He's a great insurance place for Vollmer being he has had health issues. He's also Vollmers replacement when his contract expires. Cannon is a great backup as well, but I don't see him as a starter yet. Kline and Devey haven't shown well in season this year but I know BB is high on them. I think they stick around for another year. Connelly and Wendell are stop gaps until Kline/Devey/Rookie are ready to start in 2016.

Vereen, I can't see it being a "lack of a deep threat". We've never had one since he's been here. Last season when he played he was great, however he was injured much of that season. This year he's been healthy all season...And nothing. He's not a great pass protector. He seems slow this year and his ability to cut has vanished. Outside of the wheel route out of the backfield (which TB always seems to overthow or Vereen is too slow) is all I ever really see him do. It's like he's got speed but not enough straight line speed to be great and his ability to cut is average at best so using him in a screen game is out. Outside of that, he might break a draw for 10 but thats about it. Let him walk.

City of Champions

vCash
    I just dont see them resigning vereen, not with the RB so easily grabbed in the draft, unless he comes cheap, which is a possibikity considerjng he really is not having a good cintract year and RB have been signing a cheap deals because of the deemphasis on the nfl running game.

vCash
    Vereen? Nothing?

Over 800 yard from the line of scrimmage is nothing?

Kevin Faulk only exceeded 800 yards 3 times in his career and he was a valued member of the Patriots.

Another case of unrealistic expectations.
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    Vereen? Nothing?

Over 800 yard from the line of scrimmage is nothing?

Kevin Faulk only exceeded 800 yards 3 times in his career and he was a valued member of the Patriots.

Another case of unrealistic expectations.
    Yards from Schrimmage
    Faulk
    07-09
    648 16 games
    993 15 games
    636 15 games

Woodhead
    10-12
    926 14 games
    508 15 games
    747 16 games

Vereen
    12-14
    400 13 games
    635 8 games
    838 16 games

Faulk and Woodhead have gone 800+ as many times as Vereen has. Except Woodhead and Faulk did most of their damage on 3rd down. Vereen does as much of his on 1-2 downs as 3rd down. Vereen is no way near as clutch as Faulk and Woodhead were. You needed a big play, Faulk and Woodhead never dissapointed (maybe the dreaded 4th and 1 is the only time I can remember a dissapointment). Vereens best season was last year where in 8 games he went over 600 yards. He plays an additional 8 games and only gets 200 more yards this season and my expectations are too lofty? I don't think so. His 16 game production is on par with his 2 predecesors and he is injury prone. Has been since day 1.

Kevin Faulk played the majority of his time in an NFL that was more defensive minded and a far weaker offense than he did at the end of his career and that Woodhead and Vereen have had the luxery of playing in their entire careers.

BB can find another 3rd down back in the draft or in FA that can contribute as much as Vereen has this season. Hell, Woodhead was a UDFA picked up off the waiver wire and he acheived that feat year 1. There will be plenty of options that are far cheaper, aren't injury prone and can put up the same numbers as these 3 guys have in this offense.

I'm not saying he's terrible. In fact, I said if he comes cheap I'd take him back, mainly due to his familiarity of the offense and the impending departure of Ridley. But I expect him to get 900-1,000 yards from the line of schrimage in 16 games. I don't think that's too lofty based on his past performances and the guys here before him. He should be better than Faulk (career backup..granted a great one, but he didn't start out that way) and Woodhead (UDFA).

City of Champions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    Yards from Schrimmage
    Faulk
    07-09
    648 16 games
    993 15 games
    636 15 games

Woodhead
    10-12
    926 14 games
    508 15 games
    747 16 games

Vereen
    12-14
    400 13 games
    635 8 games
    838 16 games

Faulk and Woodhead have gone 800+ as many times as Vereen has. Except Woodhead and Faulk did most of their damage on 3rd down. Vereen does as much of his on 1-2 downs as 3rd down. Vereen is no way near as clutch as Faulk and Woodhead were. You needed a big play, Faulk and Woodhead never dissapointed (maybe the dreaded 4th and 1 is the only time I can remember a dissapointment). Vereens best season was last year where in 8 games he went over 600 yards. He plays an additional 8 games and only gets 200 more yards this season and my expectations are too lofty? I don't think so. His 16 game production is on par with his 2 predecesors and he is injury prone. Has been since day 1.

Kevin Faulk played the majority of his time in an NFL that was more defensive minded and a far weaker offense than he did at the end of his career and that Woodhead and Vereen have had the luxery of playing in their entire careers.

BB can find another 3rd down back in the draft or in FA that can contribute as much as Vereen has this season. Hell, Woodhead was a UDFA picked up off the waiver wire and he acheived that feat year 1. There will be plenty of options that are far cheaper, aren't injury prone and can put up the same numbers as these 3 guys have in this offense.

I'm not saying he's terrible. In fact, I said if he comes cheap I'd take him back, mainly due to his familiarity of the offense and the impending departure of Ridley. But I expect him to get 900-1,000 yards from the line of schrimage in 16 games. I don't think that's too lofty based on his past performances and the guys here before him. He should be better than Faulk (career backup..granted a great one, but he didn't start out that way) and Woodhead (UDFA).
    Rob Gronkowski 1124
    Julian Edelman 1066
    Brandon LaFell 966
    Shane Vereen 838

Look, I am not trying to intimate that Shane Vereen is the second coming of Brian Westbrook. But He does have very good hands for a RB. I agree that Danny Woodhead did as well. You will never hear me say anything bad about Danny Woodhead. I liked the guy a lot. As far as finding guys that can put up 800 scrimmage yards, there are about 50 guys a season that do it. Dismissing it out of hand as easily done is silly.
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    Rob Gronkowski 1124
    Julian Edelman 1066
    Brandon LaFell 966
    Shane Vereen 838

Look, I am not trying to intimate that Shane Vereen is the second coming of Brian Westbrook. But He does have very good hands for a RB. I agree that Danny Woodhead did as well. You will never hear me say anything bad about Danny Woodhead. I liked the guy a lot. As far as finding guys that can put up 800 scrimmage yards, there are about 50 guys a season that do it. Dismissing it out of hand as easily done is silly.
    Again, I'm not saying he's a terrible player, and I would take him back. I just do not view him as a "must sign". If he wants to come back for cheap, bring him back. If he's chasing a contract similar to what Danny Woodhead got when he left - ADIOS. We can find another Faulk/Woodhead/Vereen...We have before and we can again. These 3rd down backs are a dime a dozen in rounds 3-7 in the NFL draft.

As for Vereen. He's ok, nothing special. I wouldn't call catching 68% (52 catches/77 targets) of the balls thrown your way "great hands". He's so so. I haven't looked it up, but I'm willing to bet 68% is in the middle or near the bottom of the league for guys who were targeted 50 or times.

This year there were 27 RB's to have more yards from schrimage than Vereen. Of course Vereen can't be stacked up against your Bell's, Lynch's and Murray's as they are feature backs and have more touches...but that's for a reason. They can handle the load by size alone and are simply more talented than Vereen.

Lets look at some of the guys better than Vereen who are similar in size and skill.
    CJ Anderson - Undrafted rookie
    Tre Mason - Rookie
    Branden Oliver - Undrafted rookie
    Andre Ellington - 2013 6th rounder
    Justin Forsett - 2008 7th rounder
    Fred Jackson - Camp invitee from NFL Europe
    Rashad Jennings - 2009 7th rounder

As you can see, the top NFL 3rd down backs are found late in the draft or are UDFA.

Now don't give me the only reason those guys have more yards is due to they were featured more this season. Let's remember when Ridley went down, Vereen was given the chance to take over as the "feature back" and he simply failed. And his role has been diminished ever since.

Also this comparison or valuation of Vereen doesn't take into account the system he plays in. 3rd down RB's for teams like NE, AZ, SD, DEN etc... Are going to get more opportunities than teams like OAK, SF, NYJ, TEN, JAX etc... The first teams pass far more often and ask their 3rd down backs to be apart of the run game as well as the pass game. The same can't be said for the second lot. So if you're playing for a passing team, it's going to be far easier to reach 800 than playing 3rd down back for a running, ground and pound team. Just ask Kevin Faulk. Same player. He started out on a run first team/simple offense and stayed until the offense flipped 180 and went to a high powered passing offense. Amazingly he had better numbers as he got older...Hmmm why is that?

I'm telling you, Vereens replacement is the least of our worries. BB will find one no problem, might already have him in White. Unless he's coming back cheap, he's not coming back. I could care less either way.

City of Champions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast