Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Anybody else not understand why Chung is still around?

Not only is he still starting, but we just gave him a nice chunk of change. I just don't see his value to the D. The secondary of 2014 was top notch, but only thanks to Revis, McCourty and Browner. Chung appeared to be the obvious weak link. Anyone else feel this way? Or am I missing something?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DaHooded14Prez View Post
    Not only is he still starting, but we just gave him a nice chunk of change. I just don't see his value to the D. The secondary of 2014 was top notch, but only thanks to Revis, McCourty and Browner. Chung appeared to be the obvious weak link. Anyone else feel this way? Or am I missing something?
    Well, we will see if he gets exposed this season. As far as the weak link, as good as Browner was, giving the other team 30 yards and a couple/few 1st downs a game took away from his benefit considerably. Chung's cap hit is $2mil. Not nickles and dimes to be sure, but not significant for a starting safety that knows the playbook. He is a willing tackers. He does take some bad angles, that is well documented. This year, according to some of the experts (LOL), is expected to be the weakest class for safetiss in many years. According to the experts again, some are looking at corners coming out in the draft and trying to project how they would play at safety.

The weak link? Maybe. But, in the real world, who do you replace him with and for how much?
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

Ted Wells Report: "more probable than not"

vCash
    I didn't realize he was that cheap. For some reason I thought his cap hit was around $5 mil. I guess at $2 mil he's worth the cost. I almost never notice him during games, which at least means he's not having a negative impact I guess. I would have kept him around but would have been looking to replace him one way or another, and would have dumped him as soon as a guy came along that was better.

vCash
    He's a situational player who excelled in our scheme last season. The Patriots locked him up before his price sky rocketed in FA (Smart). The backfire was losing Revis and then Browner. However, I wouldn't say he was a weak link at all last season. He performed very well in his role.

With an expected scheme change this season, I expect his role will be diminished, but not eliminated. As Subroc pointed out his cap hit is $2 mil, which is not completely unreasonable, however, it would be a steal if we still had Revis and a man to man scheme. I think he still has a role on this team, but I expect with this new scheme we will rotate safeties more in a situational role (increasing Harmon and Wilson's role, possibly a rookie addition as well).

Chung is great in the box and covering TE's man to man when he can get his hands on them. Chung is weak playing back in coverage. He is what he is. The plus is he knows the playbook very well and BB knows his skill set very well. I trust BB will utilize him to the best of his ability.

No need to freak out anyways, we haven't even gotten into TC yet. There's no gaurentee he makes the 53 man roster. I'd say it is likely he does, but we have to see the new scheme and how he performs in TC and preseason.

City of Champions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    He's a situational player who excelled in our scheme last season. The Patriots locked him up before his price sky rocketed in FA (Smart). The backfire was losing Revis and then Browner. However, I wouldn't say he was a weak link at all last season. He performed very well in his role.

With an expected scheme change this season, I expect his role will be diminished, but not eliminated. As Subroc pointed out his cap hit is $2 mil, which is not completely unreasonable, however, it would be a steal if we still had Revis and a man to man scheme. I think he still has a role on this team, but I expect with this new scheme we will rotate safeties more in a situational role (increasing Harmon and Wilson's role, possibly a rookie addition as well).

Chung is great in the box and covering TE's man to man when he can get his hands on them. Chung is weak playing back in coverage. He is what he is. The plus is he knows the playbook very well and BB knows his skill set very well. I trust BB will utilize him to the best of his ability.

No need to freak out anyways, we haven't even gotten into TC yet. There's no gaurentee he makes the 53 man roster. I'd say it is likely he does, but we have to see the new scheme and how he performs in TC and preseason.
    He also is a good ST Player, so that adds to his value, even if his playing time on D gets diminished.
    PSD's Brian Tyms

vCash
    ^ & ^^

He'll miss Revis - but then again we all will....

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

told you all since 2011 he was a toolbag.....