Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

CBSSports Ranks Phins #19

CBSSports' Pete Prisco recently ranked the Dolphins 19th overall to start the season in his power rankings. Im pretty surprised by this, but atleast I respect what he had to say:

They're a year away. The schedule is tougher and they will come back a little to .500. They will be a force in 2010.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/12175294

vCash
    ESPN had us 16th

vCash
    no respect.

they will just have to to prove all the doubters wrong again.

vCash
    Is this a thread on our ranking or Jordin Sparks?

Either way, I can agree with some of the power rankings. So matter what our record, we were never a "powerful" team. We just win. They give us the rankings, and tell us we don't have threats, or good fantasy players, if we win games thats all that matters.

Lets hope for another good year!

vCash
    Falcons ranked 7th in ESPN. Lol....

vCash
    Wait fore the "Wild Pat!" That's all I have to say. Although, I love the idea of prospects and really do believe we will have a lot of our players in their prime, in 2010!!!

The Illuminati of Basketball

vCash
    That seems a bit low, but 16th is about right. And he is 100% correct about us starting to be a force next year. This year will be about Henne adjusting after Penny gets hurt/start sucking. I love what Penny did last year, but he has never had back to back good season in his career. Check it out if you want to, but he just can't stay healthy. I expect Henne to come in around week 8 or 9 and have some major growing pains the first 3 weeks or so. I just hope he shows something the last 4-5 games that warrant us letting Penny go at the end of the year and spending that money elsewhere.

I predict a 7-9 finish this year, with a 10 win season next year, assuming all goes as planned.

vCash
    The negativity around here drives me nuts. The Hell with next year, the time is now!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Miami Fan_ST View Post
    The negativity around here drives me nuts. The Hell with next year, the time is now!
    How do you figure? The Pats are better this year and our schedule is the toughest in the NFL. There are least 2 other non-division winning AFC teams better than us. We will not make the playoffs this year unless there are some major injuries to key players on the contending teams. Last year we got lucky. We had one of the easiest schedules in the NFL and we were one of the least injury-riddled teams in the league. Obviously you can't plan on injuries, but we have very little depth at any position other than RB. Being realistic is not the same as negativity. I will still cheer for the Fins every week. I will still cheer for Penny to stay healthy all year. But the reality of it is this:

1. Penny has never been healthy in back to back seasons. Henne is likely to get a few starts this year.

2. We have absolutely zero depth on the o-line. We lose a starting tackle, and we're toast.

3. Our secondary can still be very shaky at times, as evidenced by the TB preseason game.

4. Our MLB play is average at best. Crowder really needs to step up to earn that fat contract he got. Ayodele is probably a little below average.

5. Our ST coverage teams are pathetic. It wouldn't surprise me if we gave up 2 or 3 returns for TDs this year.

6. We don't currently have a 2nd NT on the team. Ferguson is the cog that keeps our front 7 going in the 3-4 defense. If he goes down, can we rely on Solai to keep it up?

7. And yes, the schedule is brutal.

All this amounts to us likely going 7-9 or 8-8. I don't like it, but sometimes you have to face the facts. But like I said, in 2010, we'll be tough. We are still not a team to completely dismiss this year, but we aren't a legit contender.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hrubes20 View Post
    How do you figure? The Pats are better this year and our schedule is the toughest in the NFL. There are least 2 other non-division winning AFC teams better than us. We will not make the playoffs this year unless there are some major injuries to key players on the contending teams. Last year we got lucky. We had one of the easiest schedules in the NFL and we were one of the least injury-riddled teams in the league. Obviously you can't plan on injuries, but we have very little depth at any position other than RB. Being realistic is not the same as negativity. I will still cheer for the Fins every week. I will still cheer for Penny to stay healthy all year. But the reality of it is this:

1. Penny has never been healthy in back to back seasons. Henne is likely to get a few starts this year.

2. We have absolutely zero depth on the o-line. We lose a starting tackle, and we're toast.

3. Our secondary can still be very shaky at times, as evidenced by the TB preseason game.

4. Our MLB play is average at best. Crowder really needs to step up to earn that fat contract he got. Ayodele is probably a little below average.

5. Our ST coverage teams are pathetic. It wouldn't surprise me if we gave up 2 or 3 returns for TDs this year.

6. We don't currently have a 2nd NT on the team. Ferguson is the cog that keeps our front 7 going in the 3-4 defense. If he goes down, can we rely on Solai to keep it up?

7. And yes, the schedule is brutal.

All this amounts to us likely going 7-9 or 8-8. I don't like it, but sometimes you have to face the facts. But like I said, in 2010, we'll be tough. We are still not a team to completely dismiss this year, but we aren't a legit contender.
    I hate to be negative...but I kinda agree. This team doesn't have a ton of depth at some major positions, we lack a major playmaker on offense, our major defense pieces are all on the wrong side of 32...this team has issues and a reeally really hard schedule.

I would say that 9-7 would be a HIGHLY successful season based on the schedule and this team...

vCash
    19 is a little low...but I owuldnt put us better then 15 until we see what teams do to counter the WC and see if we build off last year or if we just overperformed last year...

I tend to think that last years team was like an 8-8 team talent wise but overachieved big time. This years team is about the same talent wise (8-8ish)...but will they overachieve again?

vCash
    I'm sure you were the guys saying 4-12 would have been a successful year last season too....

There is no reality, just negativity. You can't have reality until something happens. If you were right, why not just rest our stars this year to avoid injury, pack up shop, get the number one draft pick and play for next year?

Our front office and coaching staff will not accept a .500 season as successful. They are built to win now. Parcels didn't sign a long contract and he plans on winning another Super Bowl.

vCash
    Yeah, we werent supposed to win 11 games last year, were we? Football is very unpredictable at times.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Miami Fan_ST View Post
    I'm sure you were the guys saying 4-12 would have been a successful year last season too....

There is no reality, just negativity. You can't have reality until something happens. If you were right, why not just rest our stars this year to avoid injury, pack up shop, get the number one draft pick and play for next year?

Our front office and coaching staff will not accept a .500 season as successful. They are built to win now. Parcels didn't sign a long contract and he plans on winning another Super Bowl.
    No, I was expecting a 6-10 season last year. But I didn't expect our schedule to be so easy either, as it wasn't before the season started. There are always little things that happen over the course of the year that alter each team's chances, which is why I said barring an injury to a couple key players on contending teams, we don't have a shot. And no, we play our stars because we pay our stars. We still need to put people in the seats and make some money, not to mention that the young guys need all the experience they can get.

Please tell me how this team is "built to win now." We don't have a dominant defense. We don't have a dominant offense. We have below average special teams and we have terrible depth at many key positions. I see a young, up and coming team that will be about league average this year (8-8). Depth might be the biggest key. Why have the Patriots been so good for so long? Depth. They lose a key guy to injury, no problem. They stick in some other system guy and they make the SB. Then, they can turn around and trade that guy for more draft picks to get even more depth. We have turned things around to where we are once again a legitimate franchise in the NFL, but these things take time. Don't get sucked into the hype after a season where we greatly exceeded expectations, like many FinFans did after 2007.

vCash
    Like last year, we'll win games when we can run the ball. I see 11-12 games where we can absolutely run it down the throats of the opposition.

Starting week 1.

I predicted 10 wins last year, we got 11. We beat DEN, SD, BUF, all those teams people thought were going to be "tough".... We are better this year, and we have the talent to be in every single game and enough talent to dominate teams that can't stop us.

This team has no distractions, no major injuries, and a philosophy of taking care of players health. Playoffs is a likelihood. Lets not forget we are still the AFC East Champions and the road goes through us.

Lets not forget we are in the same division as Captain Checkdown and Rookie Vinny Chase.

11 wins again, with possibility of 12. Tough schedule or not, I definitely see 10.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast