Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmthBluCitrus View Post
    I really didn't like that 4th and 1 go. They were getting good penetration -- I wasn't happy that they left the opportunity for points on the field there.

I didn't realize we held them to 32 yards of offense in the first quarter though. That's big.

Hopefully we see a little more rotation from the sidelines this week.
    I liked the call for a few reasons. We are a top 10 offensive line against a 1-AA team and we only needed 1 yard. We really should have been able to make the push. After we failed to get the first, it was pure luck we didn't lose. I still don't understand it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkize31 View Post
    I liked the call for a few reasons. We are a top 10 offensive line against a 1-AA team and we only needed 1 yard. We really should have been able to make the push. After we failed to get the first, it was pure luck we didn't lose. I still don't understand it.
    Oh, I totally understand that. But, it also would have pushed the lead to seven. Had we already been up by that seven then going on the 4th and 1 would have been okay in my book. But, had we kicked the FG we would have forced them to get a TD on that final possession -- and UNI were struggling with putting the ball in the end zone.

Also, I don't like what it says to Daniel Murray ... even though he missed on earlier.
    Когда́ де́ньги говоря́т, тогда́ пра́вда молчи́т

vCash

vCash
    http://www.dailyiowan.com/2009/09/09/Sports/12742.html

I hear it all the time.
    Kirk Ferentz, Ken OíKeefe, and Norm Parker donít change their philosophies.
    But I understand why. They like to keep things simple.
    What you see is what you get. And more often than not, what you get usually works pretty darn well. Just look at the 2002, 2003, or 2004 seasons ó even the latter portion of 2008.
    During those years, one thing stood out. The Hawkeyes were at their best when it took its opening drive and scored a touchdown.
    Setting that tone wasnít evident in 2006 and 2007 ó seasons fans around Iowa City want to forget.
    Last weekend against Northern Iowa, the Hawkeyes had a chance to step on the Panthersí collective throats right away.
    But they didnít.
    I know thereís this mantra around the program, and fans repeat it all the time: The Hawkeyes gradually get better as the season progresses.
    Itís not a bad thing. Coaches always stress how they want teams to be better at seasonís end and continue to make improvements every week. I get that.
    But after watching Iowa barely get by Northern Iowa last weekend, and given the recent history with matchups against Iowa State, Iím concerned.
    Not about whether the Hawkeyes will win the game, though. Aside from Iowa State players and coaches, overconfident Cyclone fans and some pessimistic Hawkeye fans, I donít think anyone can say with a straight face that Iowa State will win this weekend in Ames.
    My concern goes back to putting teams away.
    Yes, Iowa has won four of the last six meetings, but the only win the Hawkeyes received after dominating from start to finish was in 2003, when they snapped a five-game losing streak to their in-state foe.
    Thereís no problem with saying you want to get better as the season goes on, but usually when I hear Iowa players saying, ďThis is our year,Ē they normally donít say that unless they truly believe Iowa can win every game.
    The panic attack some Hawkeye fans annually prepare themselves for came a week early this fall.
    If Iowa is a better team than Iowa State, then this game should not be close. Weíre talking about the joke of the Big 12, a group of Cyclones lucky enough to even form into cumulus clouds.
    Letís face it, if the score isnít more than 24-7 at halftime, Hawkeye fans in both Jack Trice Stadium and on the Iowa City Pedestrian Mall will be nervous for the rest of the game.
    But even if Iowa prevails, theyíll wonder whether the Hawkeyes are actually good enough to win the Big Ten.
    Iowa faced a similar instance the last time it visited Jack Trice Stadium two years ago ó Iowa State had a new head coach, and the Hawkeyes should have dominated.
    But they didnít dominate. The Cyclones won with five field goals.
    Now, once again, Iowa State has a new head coach in Paul Rhoads, and the Hawkeyes have a chance to make up for what it failed to do in 2007.
    It may only be Week Two, but if I go by the teamís clichť rationale of ďone game at a time,Ē then Iíll be even more trite: Thereís no time like the present for Iowa to make a statement.
    This is one of those weekends where Hawkeye fans want a 55-0 beat-down. They wonít tolerate 17-5 with a fourth-quarter punt return or 17-16 with two blocked field goals in the final seconds.
    Really, itís that simple.

Please tell me your not all like this.

vCash
    All like what? Nervous about Iowa?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmthBluCitrus View Post
    Yeah I know, i saw that! It's really cool. I go to http://www.iowahawkeyes.net/hawks/blog/ and it gives updates on pretty much anything Iowa and saw it on there.

Edit: In the field picture you can kinda see me! haha. If you look at the center of the press box, you see a group of 3 standing up in the top row, well i'm the group to the right of that. The press box gives us a nice thing to punch/smack when something goes bad haha
    Last edited by Cubsfan1433; 09-09-2009 at 06:38 PM.

Thanks MJ-BULLS for the sig

vCash
    Rumors on HawkeyeReport are saying Bulaga might have something wrong with him. Not injury related, but a few people are saying heart related. He hasn't practiced all week.
    Hopefully its not anything serious

vCash
    I've also heard H1N1. We'll see. Whatever it is, I hope Bulaga is okay.

It really looks like it's just going to be one of those years.

vCash
    From the Des Moines Register Hawkeyes blog:

At least one Des Moines radio station reported Thursday that Iowa tackle Bryan Bulaga may be questionable for Saturdayís game with Iowa State, because of an undisclosed ailment.

Several members of the Iowa media, including myself, spent the afternoon looking into the matter.

I contacted the Iowa sports information department to see if they planned to issue any kind of statement. None was planned at that time.

I also called Bulagaís family in Crystal Lake, Ill. His brother told me he wasnít aware of any situation with Bryan, but added, ďIím kind of out of the loop.Ē

It sort of feels like Jewel Hampton, all over again. We may not know anything about Bulagaís status Ė or if he really is ailing - unless coach Kirk Ferentz issues a statement before Saturdayís game.

Bulaga earned second-team all-Big Ten honors last season, and is key cog in an offensive line that was rated among the leagueís best during the preseason.

Bulaga talked to the media on Tuesday, and seemed ready for the game in this video clip.

Itís sort of two steps forward, one step back for the Hawkeyes.

Kyle Calloway (tackle) and Julian Vandervelde (guard) are set to re-join the team after missing last weekís 17-16 win over Northern Iowa. Calloway is set to start. Vandrvelde should see spot duty.

vCash
    Source: Bulaga has undisclosed ailment

Iowa standout left tackle Bryan Bulaga likely will miss Saturday's game at Iowa State with an undisclosed ailment, a source close to Bulaga told ESPN.com.

The source declined to go into details about the ailment but said Bulaga is fine and should be back on the field soon, even if he sits out against the Cyclones. There has been buzz around the Iowa program that Bulaga might have a serious condition, but the source said the rumors are greatly exaggerated.

An Iowa team spokesman said he hadn't heard from head coach Kirk Ferentz about any change in Bulaga's status for Saturday. Ferentz didn't mention any issue with Bulaga when he addressed reporters Tuesday.

Bulaga earned second-team All-Big Ten honors last season and is considered a top pro prospect, drawing comparisons to former Iowa star Robert Gallery. The junior has made 18 career starts, including last week's season opener against Northern Iowa.

His ailment could create more shuffling within Iowa's offensive line, which played without starters Kyle Calloway (suspension) and Julian Vandervelde (injury). Both players are expected to return against Iowa State.
    ESPN

Well -- this certainly sounds better than a long-term condition.

vCash
    Dallas Clark's Colt's blog:

[...]

Finally, I have to talk a little bit about my Iowa Hawkeyes. To the Hawkeye fans out there, we had a close one against UNI (Northern Iowa) and had to block two field goals at the end to seal it. I didnít get to watch the whole gameóI donít know why the networks didnít show it, but they donít let me run the networks. Every channel would have had the game on if I didóbut they did cut in and I was able to watch the final drive. I was jumping like a madman when they were driving the ball down on that last drive and yelling at the TV. And when they blocked the field goals I was scaring my son because I was losing it. The college pride, it means a lot. You would think after seven years you would kind of lose the excitement for it because I donít really know the players anymore. But I havenít. I think it helps that all the coaches are there still and you want to support them and want to support the school. Itís the usual pride that everyone has for their alma mater. But we have to improveÖ

vCash
    Edit. I didn't get my facts right, but do hate ****ing Dallas Clark.
    Last edited by Pitfall; 09-11-2009 at 06:54 PM.

vCash
    The Colts were in Detroit on Saturday. He probably wasn't at home to see the game -- I'm sure he can get it at his house, but whatever hotel the team was staying in probably didn't have it -- or Ford Field ... whatever.

vCash
    I love Dallas Clark

vCash
    What channel is the game on tomorrow? I have DirecTV and I can't find it ...

Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast