Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 63 of 67 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast
    vCash
    2 more days

Picking up a van at the Quad Cities Airport at 7:30 a.m.
    Heading to Wrigley Field from there
    Hawkeye Huddle at Navy Pier from 6-8 p.m.
    Stumble back to the hotel and try not to get attacked by the homeless
    Tailgating begins Saturday Morning
    Then Kickoff at 2:30

I shall report back Sunday Morning.

GO HAWKS

vCash
    My weekend:

Left Cedar Rapids Friday at 11am.
    Drinks at hotel.
    Drinks at local bars in Prospect Heights and Wheeling.
    Sleep.
    Breakfast.
    Leave to tailgate at 9:45am.
    20 mile drive takes just under 3 hours...
    Start tailgating at around noon.
    Game.
    Wrigleyville bars (Goose Island, Sluggers, John Barleycorn).
    Cab back to Deerfield hotel.
    Sleep.
    Back to Cedar Rapids Sunday.

Overall, very fun weekend.

Game recap/thoughts:
    It seems like nothing comes easy for this team. I don't mean to take away anything from NIU, but this is the type of game Iowa should win easily. There were glaring weaknesses on both sides of the ball.

RB- Bullock averaged 5 ypc and got 150 yes and a TD. Those are decent numbers, but it seemed to me like he had no idea what to do once he got to the second level. I'd like to see him do more to make guys miss. I'd also like to see Garmon get more than 4 carries next game.

O-line- this unit HAS TO give JVB more time to throw if we are going to have a successful year. It's not so much the fact that they allowed 6 sacks, it's the fact that the sacks happened so early into the play. NIU got there instantly.

Passing game- there are a couple small positives here. JVB completed 63% of his passes and never turned it over. Apart from that, this was an awful air attack, which is disappointing because its supposed to be a strength for us this year. 3.9 yards per attempt and just over 6 yards per completion- those number are dreadful. Our receivers couldn't get open, and we got sacked 6 times. With our well-documented problems in the running game, and a senior QB, we absolutely need to pass better than this.

Defense- 2 glaring issues here. First, the QB draw/QB run was killing us over and over. We needed to make adjustments and we didn't. Second, the 73 yard TD was a killer (also a QB run). However, big plays happen in college football. Take that 1 play away, and Iowa allowed just 128 yards and 10 points. We also stopped them 60% of the time on 3rd down. And in the 4th quarter, NIU got 3 possessions. They went 3 and out, 3 and out, then Failed to get a first on 4 plays. So 10 plays all quarter, 0 first downs, 6 total yards. That's just incredible.

Coaching (clock management)- this was the only this I was really mad about from the game. All 3 second half timeouts (if I recall correctly) had to be burned because of terrible clock management. I remember 2 of the instances- one was after a long tv timeout, we didn't get the play in and had to burn a timeout. The second was after we scored a TD to go up by 1. There was just over 2 minutes left. The only sensible option is to go for 2, I thought everyone in the stadium knew that. Somehow Iowa didn't, so there was confusion after we scored and we had to waste our final timeout to go for 2. This type of mismanagement is just so inexcusable, and I'm really starting to get tired of it. Edit: at the end of the first half, Iowa got the ball with like 90 seconds left and we were aggressive. I loved that. We didn't score, but I like the effort.

Final thoughts- ugly game, lots of things to work on, but the bottom line is that we won. We are 1-0, and hopefully we improve on a few things before the clowns come to town.
    Last edited by Hawkize31; 09-02-2012 at 05:59 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkize31 View Post

Final thoughts- ugly game, lots of things to work on, but the bottom line is that we won. We are 1-0, and hopefully we improve on a few things before the clowns come to town.
    This.

Remember a couple years ago... 2 blocked FG's JUST to beat Northern Iowa?
    How did that season end up? Yup...BCS Orange Bowl.

Now, don't get me wrong...we're not headed that way this year lol. I still think we can manage 9 wins. ISU/UNI/Central Michigan are all winnable, even if we play like we did yesterday. That gives the team time to develop chemistry and to improve.

We didn't turn the ball over once. That's a positive, considering how terrible we looked.

Defense improved as the game went on. I believe I read that Northern Illinois had 1 first down in the 4th quarter, and that was because of a 15 yard face mask penalty.

The ISU QB likes to run the ball as much as the NIU one. Definitely need to do a better job stopping him.

Already making plans for Saturday's tailgating. Have a group of 15 or so that will be with us. Game starts at 2:30 p.m., so we will be intoxicated by 8 a.m.

vCash
    I think I read that our offense only called like six different plays the entire game. Maybe they'll open it up a bit more on Saturday against ISU.
    Когда́ де́ньги говоря́т, тогда́ пра́вда молчи́т

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmthBluCitrus View Post
    I think I read that our offense only called like six different plays the entire game. Maybe they'll open it up a bit more on Saturday against ISU.
    I'm pretty sure that's close to being accurate. We aired it out once. Just off memory, I would say the ball was thrown 10+yards maybe twice.
    Lots of horizontal passes, which pisses me off. Throw the ball down-field, not east-west!

I'd be *****ing at Ken OKeefe, but I'll give the new guy a break.

vCash
    Game 2 begins soon.

Leaving DeWitt at 6:45 to be parked by 8 a.m.
    Tailgating across from Carver.

Pizza on the grill is always on our menu
    Delicious. Takes less than 2 minutes to cook, too.

A lot of 'experts' picking Iowa State to win. DJK is saying ISU is going to kill us lol. What does he know?

I shall report back saturday night in a happy mood...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by croce_99 View Post
    Game 2 begins soon.

Leaving DeWitt at 6:45 to be parked by 8 a.m.
    Tailgating across from Carver.

Pizza on the grill is always on our menu
    Delicious. Takes less than 2 minutes to cook, too.

A lot of 'experts' picking Iowa State to win. DJK is saying ISU is going to kill us lol. What does he know?

I shall report back saturday night in a happy mood...
    Im drunk 11 hours before game time lol.

All I'll say to this is DJK was one of the best receivers the University of Iowa has ever seen. Was he the most humble or the most under the radar player? No. But he was an unbelievable talent on the field. I personally think its a god damn shame he didn't get a shot in the NFL dues to his off the field issues, but it is what it is.

That rant beng said, he is wrong in this instance. Iowa will demolish pretty boy Steele and take our trophy back.

On Iowa!!!

vCash
    We're smoking a few racks of ribs at home. Have some friends over (a mix of ISU and UI fans) and all the kids are running around having fun.

Should be a good day.

vCash
    Well... ****.

vCash
    If it makes you guys feel any better, I can't celebrate a win like that. That was the ugliest game ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    If it makes you guys feel any better, I can't celebrate a win like that. That was the ugliest game ever.
    Really no need for you to post in this thread, but thanks for stopping by to say hi after your win. Your team isn't good, but Iowa was worse today. Congrats.

This post won't be productive, I don't care.

**** Steele Jantz. He is not a good football player. He got incredibly lucky last year and played like garbage this year.

**** Iowa's coaching staff. More talent + better fans + home field + (supposedly) better coaching should equal a win every time against a team like ISU (or UNI or Minnesota or Indiana). EVERY TIME. ISU's program is a joke compared to Iowa's, and there is no excuse for Iowa losing to them this often.

No idea what the hell is going on with Jake Vandenberg and the offense in general, but it needs to get fixed. Now.

**** Paul Rhoads and **** Iowa State. Hate that school so much, win or lose. But especially after a loss.

Lastly, the game was put into perspective a bit for me. On our walk back, as we were pissed off about stats and play calls and drops and coaching and what-have-you, we passed a fan who was down along Koser receiving chest compressions. We walked by as police, firefighters, and EMTs arrived, but it did not look good at all. I hope the fan is alright, and I hope everyone makes it home safe after this stupid game. That walk along Koser is a walk several members of my family and I make several times a year, and it could easily have been one of them in that situation.

On Iowa.

vCash

When do I begin the "Fire Ken O Keefe" or "Fire Ferentz" threads?
    Wait...you're telling me OKeefe isn't the offensive coordinator anymore?

Sure the **** looks like it.

vCash
    I would've rather had KOK...

There won't ever be such a thing as a "hot seat" for Ferentz - not with a contract that doesn't expire until 2072. But, any more games like this and Greg Davis won't be around long.

vCash
    Another game...another tailgate.
    5 a.m. is going to come fast.

Please win tomorrow. Getting beat by Iowa State is bad enough, but losing to UNI might put a few people on suicide watch.
    GO HAWKS

vCash
    Dish Network just dropped the BTN. Doesn't affect me any, but I'm sure a few of you won't be happy about it

Page 63 of 67 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast