Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Iowa Hawkeyes Thread

Discuss all things HAWKEYE here!

Sep. 5 Northern Iowa W 17-16 (1-0, 0-0)
    Sep. 12 at Iowa State W 35-3 (2-0, 0-0)
    Sep. 19 Arizona W 27-17 (3-0, 0-0)
    Sep. 26 at Penn State W 21-10 (4-0, 1-0)
    Oct. 3 Arkansas St. W 24-21 (5-0, 1-0)
    Oct. 10 Michigan W 30-28 (6-0, 2-0)
    Oct. 17 at Wisconsin W 20-10 (7-0, 3-0)
    Oct. 24 at Michigan State W 15-13 (8-0, 4-0)
    Oct. 31 Indiana W 42-24 (9-0, 5-0)
    Nov. 7 Northwestern L 10-17 (9-1, 5-1)
    Nov. 14 at Ohio State L 24-27 (9-2, 5-2)
    Nov. 21 Minnesota W 12-0 (10-2, 6-2)
    Jan. 5 Georgia Tech 7:00p FedEx Orange Bowl

2011 MARGIN OF VICTORY BETTING RESULTS:

Croce: 2
    Hawkize31: 1
    Cubsfan1433: 0
    Last edited by croce_99; 09-24-2011 at 06:08 PM.
    Когда́ де́ньги говоря́т, тогда́ пра́вда молчи́т

vCash
    New two-deeps for ISU released.

Depth Chart

The big move is that Adam Robinson is now listed as the starting back over Paki. Looks like Dace Richardson is going to move into Gettis' guard spot, too and Calloway is back starting. Hopefully he doesn't decide to ride his motor-scooter to Ames.

I'd love to see Brinson get some touches this week instead of Paki -- maybe some for Wegher, too.

vCash
    Yay! An Iowa thread. Sorry I haven't been able to talk Iowa since. What a game! Northern Iowa is a great squad and clearly wanted it more.
    Notes from the game:
    -Moeaki PLEASE stay healthy, that man caught everything near him.
    -We really didn't make any mistakes. I mean we got every play in on time (), only 2 penalties I believe, and besides the 2 turnovers, we played a fairly clean game
    - I was disappointed in how little DJK and Davis played. By my count (which is probably wrong cuz I was there and probably missed some) Davis only was in there once when he gave a full out effort and DJK only in there one or two times. I really hope to see them more against Iowa State
    - Kyle Calloway will be welcomed back.
    - Paki is definently not the answer. He just can't run thru anything, first contact and he's done. Robinson is the guy and I definently want to see some Brinson next week
    - Stanzi actually had a pretty good game. He made a couple bad passes but overall was decent
    - I don't want Spievey returning punts. It doesn't make sense to me. I mean he is an absolute stud on defense and I dont want him returning punts and risking his injury. Also does it make sense to put a guy out who just played a series on defense and is probably a little winded going back and returning punts? To me it doesnt. He also plays punt and kick coverage so that is a pretty heavy load.

-Overall I think this is definently a good thing that we had to work to win. This gives us probably a little more momentum then if we just won 31-7 or something and gives us a lot to work on in practice. Oh and by the way, I loved the turf.

Go Hawks and beat state! I'm done now haha

Thanks MJ-BULLS for the sig

vCash
    This thread = win.

I saw the Beat State Week Fact was that Iowa has won more bowl games in the last 6 years than Iowa State has ever won. Iowa State =

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubsfan1433 View Post
    Yay! An Iowa thread. Sorry I haven't been able to talk Iowa since. What a game! Northern Iowa is a great squad and clearly wanted it more.
    Moeaki was a stud! I loved seeing that and if he can stay healthy, he can have an absolutely huge year.

I hope the fumble by Stanzi was a fluke. That was one of his major drawbacks last year. We can't have him fumble the ball every game.

I was there, too. I didn't see DJK in there at all; but I guess he was. Davis' diving miss was incredible effort. I would have liked to have seen him in there more.

McNutt looked great in the first half, but after Stanzi overthrew him on that out route I don't remember them going back in his direction. This Stanzi-Moeaki-McNutt triangle could be really big for us this year. I'm excited about that.

I'm concerned about our secondary. It was supposed to be a strong unit but I think they underperformed. I'm with you about Spievey though. He's such a strong corner that I'm not really happy seeing him return punts. Leave that for somebody like Paul Chaney or Colin Sandeman (who I didn't see in the game at all).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmthBluCitrus View Post
    Moeaki was a stud! I loved seeing that and if he can stay healthy, he can have an absolutely huge year.

I hope the fumble by Stanzi was a fluke. That was one of his major drawbacks last year. We can't have him fumble the ball every game.

I was there, too. I didn't see DJK in there at all; but I guess he was. Davis' diving miss was incredible effort. I would have liked to have seen him in there more.

McNutt looked great in the first half, but after Stanzi overthrew him on that out route I don't remember them going back in his direction. This Stanzi-Moeaki-McNutt triangle could be really big for us this year. I'm excited about that.

I'm concerned about our secondary. It was supposed to be a strong unit but I think they underperformed. I'm with you about Spievey though. He's such a strong corner that I'm not really happy seeing him return punts. Leave that for somebody like Paul Chaney or Colin Sandeman (who I didn't see in the game at all).
    Well I know DJK made that one catch on third down on the eventual scoring drive. And I really don't think the Stanzi fumble was that bad. I mean he made a great play to scramble away and to me it looked like he was almost trying to throw it away when it got knocked out.

Our Secondary will be fine. I'm a big fan of Castillo and we get Prater back.

Btw, great fact Hawkize, I'll have to use this.

vCash
    Iowa's Ferentz gets mulligan for shaky opener

IOWA CITY, Iowa—Kirk Ferentz has had some mighty fine days leading the Black and Gold. Sept. 5 was not one of them.

Every coach has off days, and sometimes they occur when you have to lead a team against a supposedly inferior opponent. In that case, as evidenced by this past weekend, your misfortune is magnified as if fans are peering through the Hubble telescope.

I have to admit, I was pretty critical of the Hawkeye headman when the turf pellets had settled from an unbelievable, un-duplicatable finish.

First, Ferentz and the Iowa coaching staff were largely to blame for a very inconsistent pass rush.

Iowa’s ability to put pressure on Northern Iowa quarterback Pat Grace, or lack thereof, ultimately dictated what the Panthers were able to accomplish on any given drive.

Iowa’s defensive front dominated in the first quarter, surrendering only 32 yards of total offense.

However, the coaching staff neglected to efficiently rotate the defensive line, which wore down the pass rush and allowed Grace time to lead the Panthers 91 yards for a touchdown in the second quarter.

The defensive line was impressive again in the third quarter but was too tired to stop two-straight Northern Iowa drives deep into scoring territory at the end of the game.

Ferentz’s second slip was his unwillingness to roll Ricky Stanzi out of the pocket in the first half. Stanzi is going to be an above average quarterback, but his ability to throw from the pocket is still largely undeveloped.

Most of his throws in the first half were off target, but he looked smooth when he was given the chance to roll out in the second half. He repeatedly hit Tony Moeaki and crew in stride on two touchdown drives en route to amassing 179 yards in the half.

The last qualm I had with Ferentz was his decision to run redshirt freshman Adam Robinson on fourth and one from the Northern Iowa 32 in the fourth quarter. It was frustrating to watch Robinson get swarmed under for a loss when a field goal would have forced Northern Iowa to score a touchdown.

I realize kicker Daniel Murray had missed a similar kick earlier in the half, but you have to have faith in your kicker in that situation. Iowa let the Panthers dictate how the game would end with that decision, which almost cost the Hawkeyes.
    Yahoo!

vCash
    We dropped from 22 to 35 in the AP rankings.

I kind of figured that we'd drop out of the top 25 -- but that's a huge drop coming off a win.

vCash
    I really didn't like that 4th and 1 go. They were getting good penetration -- I wasn't happy that they left the opportunity for points on the field there.

I didn't realize we held them to 32 yards of offense in the first quarter though. That's big.

Hopefully we see a little more rotation from the sidelines this week.

vCash
    I really didn't like that 4th and 1 go. They were getting good penetration -- I wasn't happy that they left the opportunity for points on the field there.

I didn't realize we held them to 32 yards of offense in the first quarter though. That's big.

I was "Okay" with the call. I mean what was it 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2 and you get 2 plays to get it. And honestly, I think if Northern Iowa NEEDED a TD, they would of got it that last drive. I mean they were moving it at will on us and you could see they eased up onece they got in field goal range. I dont know and I dont care, all I know is a win is a win and I fully expect them to come out next week charged up and kill the cyclones.

vCash

I liked the call for a few reasons. We are a top 10 offensive line against a 1-AA team and we only needed 1 yard. We really should have been able to make the push. After we failed to get the first, it was pure luck we didn't lose. I still don't understand it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkize31 View Post
    I liked the call for a few reasons. We are a top 10 offensive line against a 1-AA team and we only needed 1 yard. We really should have been able to make the push. After we failed to get the first, it was pure luck we didn't lose. I still don't understand it.
    Oh, I totally understand that. But, it also would have pushed the lead to seven. Had we already been up by that seven then going on the 4th and 1 would have been okay in my book. But, had we kicked the FG we would have forced them to get a TD on that final possession -- and UNI were struggling with putting the ball in the end zone.

Also, I don't like what it says to Daniel Murray ... even though he missed on earlier.

vCash
    Vandervelde will play against ISU

Iowa football: Vandervelde will see action against ISU

vCash
    Man, I hope so. I could honestly not bear a loss to the Cyclones this year.

vCash
    Man, I hope so. I could honestly not bear a loss to the Cyclones this year.
    Better get ready, only 4 more days

Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast