29. Padres
    $36.7
    $.815

30. Pirates
    $29.9
    $.695
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb..._N.htm#payroll

vCash
    3 teams in the AL east are bottom 10 in payroll. Two teams are top 5. There is something really wrong with the way this game is organized

vCash
    Blame Selig

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nithanyo View Post
    3 teams in the AL east are bottom 10 in payroll. Two teams are top 5. There is something really wrong with the way this game is organized
    These are the current payrolls, not the opening day payrolls. You'll notice that Rolen (11.5ish), Rios (8ish), Ryan (10-12 million) are missing from the Jays. The opening day payroll according to Cot's was 80 million, and last year was 97 million. At 97 they'd be in the upper half of the league in terms of payroll, and this year they'd be somewhere between 15-20. And as I'm sure you're well aware, part of the reason the payroll was close to 80 million was that it was a rebuilding year, so we didn't need to add payroll. If we were competing this year, it would be much higher than that since we would have signed a FA or something.

Obviously it's easier to compete with a larger payroll but I wouldn't take these numbers to prove a point since they weren't the opening day payrolls. Lots of teams have dumped salaries and traded guys to contending teams.

So at this point in the season it's not a shock that the highest payrolls are the winning teams - most of those teams would have acquired expensive players to help them for the playoffs.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    That's not really accurate then, is it? You still have to count ryan as we are paying him as well as what we paid to the other guys.

vCash
    exactly

Cot's baseball site has a nice breakdown of committed future payrolls.
    Beeston: "we should be able to support a $140-$150 million payroll and that's the direction that we're headed."

vCash
    No surprise the Yankees would be way at the top.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by H-MYK View Post
    No surprise the Yankees would be way at the top.
    it's quite ridiculous to me. I can not believe how much more they spend. I really can't believe how some people see nothing wrong with that. +

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marcre View Post
    it's quite ridiculous to me. I can not believe how much more they spend. I really can't believe how some people see nothing wrong with that. +
    it sucks, but what can you do? what's it called when an authority tries to tell a corporation what to do? Communism. Besides, there must be other owners besides Steinbrenner who can afford astronomical payrolls, but just don't pay it. It definitely helps being a large market team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysrocksox View Post
    it sucks, but what can you do? what's it called when an authority tries to tell a corporation what to do? Communism. Besides, there must be other owners besides Steinbrenner who can afford astronomical payrolls, but just don't pay it. It definitely helps being a large market team.
    please don't compare Communism and payroll of pro sports. That's ridiculous.

The NFL, NHL and NBA have a salary cap and it works well there. No other team has the ability to do what the Yankees do. Between the team and the YES network and all the other deals they have, they are making more money than they know what to do with. Maybe some teams can afford more than they are using, but I'm not so sure about that.

When you see their payroll well over $200 million and other teams below $50 million, there is definitely something wrong with that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily mad at the Yankees. They're playing by the rules. And you have to appreciate from a fan's perspective that they are putting that money back into the product.

But, the majority of teams can't compete with that. Not even close. Look at last year. By Yankees standards, they had a bad/down year. Funny thing is, they were 10 games above .500. Some teams haven't had that in years. They were so embarrassed by that they went out and got the three top free-agents.

They went out and did something no other team could. As a fan of a different team, I'm jealous. I can admit that. It must be nice. It also angers me. How can you compete with that. The Rays made their run last year and during the off season the Yanks said enough of that.

Superstars come up in this league and when they reach free-agency there is really only a couple places they can go. I wonder what will happen to Puljos?

Just a few examples… Pirate, Royals, Padres, etc… I wonder how their fans feel? They have no chance in reality. Many other teams are like that. Oh sure, there is always that magical run after years of top drafts, but it never lasts. Sorry, but 10-15 years of being bad isn't worth a 2-3 year run of maybe making the playoffs. That's what the Brewers are doing now.

I'll be honest, I don't know what the exact answer is. If I were a big market team, I wouldn't want to give money my team made away to other teams. That doesn't seam fair either. I just know, the way it is now, it sucks. There were a few years the Jays had real good teams, but not good enough by AL East standards.

For as bad as I think the Jays have it in this division, I think half the league has it worse.

vCash
    The same day the yanks paid their 30M or whatever as 5 year offenders of the luxury tax, they announced the new 200M plus contract to texiera. Surely them laughing at it. Then you had that piece of dog ****, Selig, publicly name the jays the one offseason for out of control spending (aj, bj). Unbe****inglievable.
    Beeston: "we should be able to support a $140-$150 million payroll and that's the direction that we're headed."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marcre View Post
    please don't compare Communism and payroll of pro sports. That's ridiculous.

The NFL, NHL and NBA have a salary cap and it works well there. No other team has the ability to do what the Yankees do. Between the team and the YES network and all the other deals they have, they are making more money than they know what to do with. Maybe some teams can afford more than they are using, but I'm not so sure about that.

When you see their payroll well over $200 million and other teams below $50 million, there is definitely something wrong with that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily mad at the Yankees. They're playing by the rules. And you have to appreciate from a fan's perspective that they are putting that money back into the product.

But, the majority of teams can't compete with that. Not even close. Look at last year. By Yankees standards, they had a bad/down year. Funny thing is, they were 10 games above .500. Some teams haven't had that in years. They were so embarrassed by that they went out and got the three top free-agents.

They went out and did something no other team could. As a fan of a different team, I'm jealous. I can admit that. It must be nice. It also angers me. How can you compete with that. The Rays made their run last year and during the off season the Yanks said enough of that.

Superstars come up in this league and when they reach free-agency there is really only a couple places they can go. I wonder what will happen to Puljos?

Just a few examples… Pirate, Royals, Padres, etc… I wonder how their fans feel? They have no chance in reality. Many other teams are like that. Oh sure, there is always that magical run after years of top drafts, but it never lasts. Sorry, but 10-15 years of being bad isn't worth a 2-3 year run of maybe making the playoffs. That's what the Brewers are doing now.

I'll be honest, I don't know what the exact answer is. If I were a big market team, I wouldn't want to give money my team made away to other teams. That doesn't seam fair either. I just know, the way it is now, it sucks. There were a few years the Jays had real good teams, but not good enough by AL East standards.

For as bad as I think the Jays have it in this division, I think half the league has it worse.
    If you were to go to a Yankee or a Red Sox fan and tell them we need a salary cap there response would be along the lines of...."Does America look like Communist Russia to you?"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wamco View Post
    The same day the yanks paid their 30M or whatever as 5 year offenders of the luxury tax, they announced the new 200M plus contract to texiera. Surely them laughing at it. Then you had that piece of dog ****, Selig, publicly name the jays the one offseason for out of control spending (aj, bj). Unbe****inglievable.
    Bud Selig doesn't care about Canadians

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nithanyo View Post
    If you were to go to a Yankee or a Red Sox fan and tell them we need a salary cap there response would be along the lines of...."Does America look like Communist Russia to you?"
    Well, I doubt they'd say that, but they wouldn't like it. I freely admitted that I wouldn't like it if I were them. I also said I'm not sure what the answer is. The Red Sox payroll has come down some in the past few years, hasn't it? I don't have a problem with a payroll that is 100-130-ish million, but the Yankees are out of control.

vCash
    50-120M minimum and maximum cap. Like 85 percent of teams are ALREADY in this range anyhow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast