Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

IGT: Round 1. Pittsburgh Penguins vs Philadelphia Flyers

Best chance to win is keep the pressure on the Pens D.

My keys to making it an interesting playoff series:

1. special teams
    have to win this. Our pk needs to come out strong or we are going to get into trouble.

2. matchups
    can't can't can't have filppula play against malkins line. Malkin is absolutely tearing it up and he will eat him alive.

I really want hak to play the best lines possible but i know that will never happen.

G-Couts-tk
    Lindblom-Patrick-Voracek
    Raffl-Filppula-Simmonds
    weal-Laughton-Read

i really hate having lehtera out there. Hes so slow and hes not a good match for this speedy pens team.

we need simmonds to have big series. He is pretty much our only guy in our bottom 6. Need guys like raffl, weal, filppula to score some goals to take some pressure off of the big guys.

I am so excited to see how Sanheim, Patrick, TK, Lindblom, Provorov, and ghost do in the playoffs.

Iíd go ...

TK G Simmonds
    Filppula Couturier Voracek
    Raf Patrick Lindblom
    Weal Laughton Read

Match Couturierís line against Malkin and Gís line against Crosby and then hope the Patrick line can out score Pittís 3rd line ... which they can the way we are playing. Then no one gets caught playing over their heads ...and Filppula doesnít match against Malkin or Crosby directly.

G doesnít need to save himself for the playoffs anymore. It is the playoffs. Letís roll 4 lines with qualified centers who can play with pace.

It will also throw off the penguins for a few games for matchups ... and that would be good for us to steal a win for a road game.

Lehtera is too slow to play against the penguins
    Last edited by castan_b; 04-08-2018 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    Iíd go ...

TK G Simmonds
    Raf Patrick Lindblom
    Weal Laughton Read

Match Couturierís line against Malkin and Gís line against Crosby and then hope the Patrick line can out score Pittís 3rd line ... which they can the way we are playing. Then no one gets caught playing over their heads ...and Filppula doesnít match against Malkin or Crosby directly.

G doesnít need to save himself for the playoffs anymore. It is the playoffs. Letís roll 4 lines with qualified centers who can play with pace.

It will also throw off the penguins for a few games for matchups ... and that would be good for us to steal a win for a road game.

It will never happen haha. I'd flip Tk and Raffl back though. If you were to run best possible lines:

G-Couturier-Tk
    Lindblom-Patrick-Voracek
    Raffl-Laughton-Simmonds
    Weal-Lehtera-Read

Barely play the 4th line and lean on your top 9 heavily, but it won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post
    It will never happen haha. I'd flip Tk and Raffl back though. If you were to run best possible lines:

G-Couturier-Tk
    Lindblom-Patrick-Voracek
    Raffl-Laughton-Simmonds
    Weal-Lehtera-Read

Barely play the 4th line and lean on your top 9 heavily, but it won't happen.
    That isnít the best possible lineup is the problem

Iíd go ...

TK G Simmonds
    Raf Patrick Lindblom
    Weal Laughton Read

i would go with this if we were doing 3 centers:

Lindblom-Giroux-TK
    Raffl-Couts-Voracek
    Weal-Patrick-Simmonds
    Filppula-Laughton-Read

you are right though. This really solves the problem against teams like the pens who can be a matchup nigthmare. You can always shorten the bench at the end and reunite everyone.

I would have thought that - and did think that before the season started - the Flyers had enough depth to do what you guys are suggesting. They donít, though.

They need to stack it up in the top 6. TK, Giroux, Couts, Voracek, Lindblom and Patrick all need to be in the top 6. Anything else would just water things down and they canít afford to do that.

Filppula is a 4th line talent at this point and you canít put a 4th line talent in your top 6 just to try and find more balance.

If Weal was able to give you more than 4th line production - and even Simmonds for that matter - Iíd be with you guys. But theyíve shown that for this year, they arenít capable of doing that.

The depth on this team just isnít good enough. The gap in talent from the top 6 to the bottom 6 is too large. They need to just keep them separated, lean on their top guys and let it loose.

I'm all for changing lines, but I think you guys know Hakstol by now. He in't changing anything. If we get spanked the first 2 games in Pittsburgh and the usual culprits make mistakes, he might change some things, but I highly doubt it. He really needs to put Laughton as 3rd C, a line of him TK, and Simmer may actually produce. Filppula and Lehtera slow down 2 lines and the Penguins speed will have a filed day with that. And I don't know how Hagg is the odd man out, I'd still put him ahead of Manning, MacDonald, and even Gudas.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    I would have thought that - and did think that before the season started - the Flyers had enough depth to do what you guys are suggesting. They donít, though.

They need to stack it up in the top 6. TK, Giroux, Couts, Voracek, Lindblom and Patrick all need to be in the top 6. Anything else would just water things down and they canít afford to do that.

Filppula is a 4th line talent at this point and you canít put a 4th line talent in your top 6 just to try and find more balance.

If Weal was able to give you more than 4th line production - and even Simmonds for that matter - Iíd be with you guys. But theyíve shown that for this year, they arenít capable of doing that.

The depth on this team just isnít good enough. The gap in talent from the top 6 to the bottom 6 is too large. They need to just keep them separated, lean on their top guys and let it loose.
    I thought this before the season started. We reversed. For the playoffs, to have a shot against Pitt, our 3rd line has to outscore their third line. Filppula canít do that. Itís on the coach to win the matchup game. The only way I see is winning is stacking the middle and using Laughton as the 4th line C ... because Pitts speed kills us. We have to maximize speed throughout the lineup. Stacking the top 6 just matches their firepower and provides players like Hagelin a feast of breakaways.

You have to try something different because itís too easy to play us. That means spread the speed and talent, mostly the speed.

I thought this before the season started. We reversed. For the playoffs, to have a shot against Pitt, our 3rd line has to outscore their third line. Filppula canít do that. Itís on the coach to win the matchup game. The only way I see is winning is stacking the middle and using Laughton as the 4th line C ... because Pitts speed kills us. We have to maximize speed throughout the lineup. Stacking the top 6 just matches their firepower and provides players like Hagelin a feast of breakaways.

You have to try something different because itís too easy to play us. That means spread the speed and talent, mostly the speed.
    The formula for beating Pitt is simple.

- 1couts and G win their match-up
    - 4th line out plays the pens 4th line
    - middle six stay relatively even.
    - stay out of the box

Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post

- stay out of the box
    1 and 4 are the most important. Can't win if your best players don't perform. And Pit power plays have essentially been guaranteed free goals against the Flyers in the regular season.

special teams is key. We have to match their pp production. Simmonds, weal, raffl, anyone else needs to step up and play solid. Voracek, couts, G, tk, patrick need to keep doing what they are doing. Its going to be hard to beat their third line if they have sheary-brassard-kessel.

Porovorv-ghost against crosby
    sanehim-amac against malkin. Would prefer gudas there but we we'll see. This is where we needed a solid 3rd pairing. I don't like manning-gudas.

Really need depth players and voracek/simmonds to come up big and relieve some pressure off of Giroux.

Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post

- stay out of the box
    That hasnít worked all season. Why would it work now?

Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast