Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Next Flyers Captain?

We don't know for sure yet, but it looks as though Chris Pronger will get the Captaincy. Although, Claude Giroux or Kimmo Timonen could possibly get it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankdatank9514 View Post
    We don't know for sure yet, but it looks as though Chris Pronger will get the Captaincy. Although, Claude Giroux or Kimmo Timonen could possibly get it.
    Pronger has been the veteran leader of this team since he arrived here in 2008. I would be shocked if anyone else received the "C". However, I fully expect Giroux to be sporting an "A" on his jersey next season.

vCash
    Yeah, same. I think Giroux should have gotten the A on his sweater this year. Carter didn't desrve it IMO. Put I wouldn't be surprised if Kimmo or giroux got it. But Chris will most likely get it.

vCash
    Yeah, same. I think Giroux should have gotten the A on his sweater this year. Carter didn't desrve it IMO. Put I wouldn't be surprised if Kimmo or giroux got it. But Chris will most likely get it.
    I think the Flyers learned their lesson with giving young players the "C" too early. Giroux is certainly mature for his age, but its probably best if he focuses on being the team's points leader, not its locker-room leader at this time.

Let him have a taste of what being a captain entails (with the "A") without having to deal with all of the media and scrutiny and BS that accompany wearing the "C". Pronger is a savvy vet who knows how to handle the vultures that are the Philadelphia media.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post
    I think the Flyers learned their lesson with giving young players the "C" too early. Giroux is certainly mature for his age, but its probably best if he focuses on being the team's points leader, not its locker-room leader at this time.

Let him have a taste of what being a captain entails (with the "A") without having to deal with all of the media and scrutiny and BS that accompany wearing the "C". Pronger is a savvy vet who knows how to handle the vultures that are the Philadelphia media.
    Hit the nail right on the head there. Fully agree. Giroux is the future, Pronger is the present.

vCash
    Hit the nail right on the head there. Fully agree. Giroux is the future, Pronger is the present.
    actually, from what I've read, Schenn is the future. Everything I've read and heard about this kid is that he's been a leader EVERYWHERE he's been, and that he has future captain written all over him.

that being said, the way i see things shaking out next year:

C: Pronger
    A: Timonen
    A: Briere

Giroux probably should get one, but I say let the vets handle the leadership role for now. The culture of this locker room has changed drastically, and I feel they want the vets to step up here and take over. All 3 of these guys have been captains or alternate captains at some point in their careers, even with this team. Let the vets worry about the leadership part of the game, and let the young guns focus on their game.

The only other direction I could see them going in is having them switch the "A"s for home and away games like they did a couple years ago.

vCash
    It has to be Pronger he has the leadership and. Has been in all situations before not to mention he's a fan fav a coach fav a media fav and a player fav....unless he refuses which he already said it's not his choice but if the team asks he would accept. So yeah who else...

vCash
    I see our direction going towards Pronger as Captain, and Giroux as Assistant Captain.....with Girox eventually taking on the Captain role depending on some of these new guys coming in intangibles

S/N: It may be a little off topic, but I'm psyched that we got a African American player (Simmonds) who's young and could take on a serious role as a contributor moving forward on this team. Don't see many in the league, especially that are any good....so it's refreshing to finally have one in Philly lol. Yes I'm African American and I'm about the only one I know interested in hockey, or at least out of my group of friends lol
    DrAzTiKViEwZ

vCash
    ^^ although I'm white as white I agree nice to get him in good for the sport and hockey. All my African American friends hate hockey lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I Am Beast 19 View Post
    I see our direction going towards Pronger as Captain, and Giroux as Assistant Captain.....with Girox eventually taking on the Captain role depending on some of these new guys coming in intangibles

S/N: It may be a little off topic, but I'm psyched that we got a African American player (Simmonds) who's young and could take on a serious role as a contributor moving forward on this team. Don't see many in the league, especially that are any good....so it's refreshing to finally have one in Philly lol. Yes I'm African American and I'm about the only one I know interested in hockey, or at least out of my group of friends lol
    i think it's awesome, personally. i've like this kid ever since he came into the league. he's skilled, but he packs a punch. always thought he'd look good in orange and black; got my wish i guess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    actually, from what I've read, Schenn is the future. Everything I've read and heard about this kid is that he's been a leader EVERYWHERE he's been, and that he has future captain written all over him.

that being said, the way i see things shaking out next year:

C: Pronger
    A: Timonen
    A: Briere

Giroux probably should get one, but I say let the vets handle the leadership role for now. The culture of this locker room has changed drastically, and I feel they want the vets to step up here and take over. All 3 of these guys have been captains or alternate captains at some point in their careers, even with this team. Let the vets worry about the leadership part of the game, and let the young guns focus on their game.

The only other direction I could see them going in is having them switch the "A"s for home and away games like they did a couple years ago.
    Ahhhhh Schenn has been such a disappointment so far...

vCash
    What? And why did u bump this thread.

vCash
    Not true in the least bit. Luke...maybe. But he was rushed. Brayden Schenn? No. He's young and just starting to hit his stride. This was his FIRST FULL season and scored 20 goals. Not freaking bad. He has something like 180 total games played so far. Chill out. You think Giroux was a superstar overnight?

vCash
    @lamofgode
    I'm not saying he was horrible, Im just saying I expected more from him. Not all his fault that people were calling him the best prospect not in the nhl. His point total isnt what disappoints me, he just goes invisible for periods of time and that he is weak along the board. He really doesnt excel or stand out in any particular area. His wrist shot is pretty good and a decent skater but nothing all that special.

I want to see him on the Left Wing with Giroux next year, maybe he'll take another step in improving his game and turn out to be the legit top line LW that this team lacks. I just dont see him ever being as good as Giroux, or Voracek for that matter.
    Last edited by Frankdatank9514; 07-23-2014 at 10:25 PM.

vCash
    @caston_b
    Was bored and looking at old posts. Im not saying Schenn cant get better, but I just dont see him turning out to be that special of a player.
    Last edited by Frankdatank9514; 07-23-2014 at 10:25 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast