Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

IGT: Philadelphia Flyers at Washington Capitals

Time: 8:00pm
    Place: Verizon Center

News & Notes:

- Caps are 7-1-1 in January and 18-3-1 at home this season
    - Caps are far and away the best team in the Eastern Conference with a 10 point cushion over FLA
    - rising star Evgeny Kuznetsov (one of my favorite players tbh) leads the Caps in scoring with 48 points
    - Flyers are coming off of a 3-2 loss to BOS on Monday
    - Michal Neuvirth will make his first ever appearance against his former team tonight
    - Claude Giroux leads the team in scoring with 37 points

Gagner in for Weal. Rest of the lineup remains the same.

Get used to it, guys. Gonna have to put up with Schultz and Umberger til at least the TDL if not the rest of the year.

I will be critical of Hakstol, though, if Weal doesn't see ample playing time the rest of this season. He's an upcoming RFA, Hextall obviously wanted him for a reason. You're not gonna get what you need from a game or two the rest of the season.

At some point Weal is going to have to get in a nice string of games.

With the news of Neuvirth having a noticeable limp after the Bruins game, and now finding out that mason has a LBI, this would have been the perfect time to give Stolarz his shot.

I know it's early in his development and i know he's probably not ready. But with the break following this game, and two banged up goalies that will be leaned on heavily in the second half, the extra day for Neuvy and not having to risk aggravating whatever was causing that limp would have helped in the second half.

Not only that but it would have given Stolarz a taste of the NHL, a game against the best team in the east, and showed him where he was as far as NHL readiness.
    "2008 WORLD ****ING CHAMPIONS"

Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post
    With the news of Neuvirth having a noticeable limp after the Bruins game, and now finding out that mason has a LBI, this would have been the perfect time to give Stolarz his shot.

I know it's early in his development and i know he's probably not ready. But with the break following this game, and two banged up goalies that will be leaned on heavily in the second half, the extra day for Neuvy and not having to risk aggravating whatever was causing that limp would have helped in the second half.

Not only that but it would have given Stolarz a taste of the NHL, a game against the best team in the east, and showed him where he was as far as NHL readiness.

Or you throw him to the wolves against the best team in the NHL, he gets hammered and has a hard time recovering the rest of the way.

I'm not a fan of baptism by fire in that sense. You're going into this game without one of your best players against not only the best team in the NHL but the hottest team in the NHL. This is not the time to use Stolarz. Not to mention he's been in a bit of a slump lately, whereas LaBarbera has been playing his best hockey of the season.

No, I disagree. I wouldn't use Stolarz here.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post

Get used to it, guys. Gonna have to put up with Schultz and Umberger til at least the TDL if not the rest of the year.

I will be critical of Hakstol, though, if Weal doesn't see ample playing time the rest of this season. He's an upcoming RFA, Hextall obviously wanted him for a reason. You're not gonna get what you need from a game or two the rest of the season.

Or you throw him to the wolves against the best team in the NHL, he gets hammered and has a hard time recovering the rest of the way.

I'm not a fan of baptism by fire in that sense. You're going into this game without one of your best players against not only the best team in the NHL but the hottest team in the NHL. This is not the time to use Stolarz. Not to mention he's been in a bit of a slump lately, whereas LaBarbera has been playing his best hockey of the season.

No, I disagree. I wouldn't use Stolarz here.
    I see the other side here. For sure. But if Stolarz gets bombed and gets rattled and never recovers, then IMO he was never going to turn into a starting quality goalie at the nhl anyway. If one bad game rattles him permanently now, then he'd most likely end up easy to rattle in the future as well. Not a guy i want to lean on as my #1.

However when i said this i was unaware of the current level at which either LaBarbara or Stolarz were playing. That said, i still think I'd have given the start to Stolarz. And if not i'd have given it to LaBarbara. I would not be playing Neuvy assuming the limp after the last game was legit.

If Neuvy isn't at least 95% i wouldn't be playing him here. It's too much to risk with the team still in the playoff hunt. Mason and Neuvy need to be healthy in the second half. At least one of them, this would help that cause.

Now if you don't think the playoffs have ANY shot, or you'd rather not make the playoffs this year in order to help the rebuild process, then i could care less who's playing tonight.
    "2008 WORLD ****ING CHAMPIONS"

PEM,

With the trade deadline a month away, I feel Hextall/Hakstol are on the same page here. There objective is by playing Umberger and Gagner, they are holding out hope that both play well in the next month, and doing so will create a trade market however small for them.I forsee that both GM/coach expect to have Weal in the lineup on a regular basis after the trade deadline which will give them more than enough time to evaluate what they have in Weal.

Umberger can't buy a goal lol. I'm really starting to like Laughton's offensive game.

Ghost has incredible hockey IQ and defensive stick work. Truly elite. If he keeps adding lbs and keeps the speed, we are going to really have a special defense

Ghost is who he is. I think he's fine at 180-185, where he is right now. No need to add to that really. Look at Karlsson.

Caps are rusty. Haven't played in a while. Flyers are taking advantage. Gotta keep it up.

Side note: Kuznetsov is unbelievably fun to watch. Forsberg-esque in his ability to control play and handle the puck.

Ghost is who he is. I think he's fine at 180-185, where he is right now. No need to add to that really. Look at Karlsson.

Caps are rusty. Haven't played in a while. Flyers are taking advantage. Gotta keep it up.

Side note: Kuznetsov is unbelievably fun to watch. Forsberg-esque in his ability to control play and handle the puck.
    The caps have certainly drafted well the last 4 or 5 years, reaping those rewards now

Atta boy Read you dummy. Another last minute loss??

What a beauty Jake. That's a goal right from pond hockey, lol.

Hope Jake carries it over to the 2nd half. He is on a tear lately. Good to see it.

What. A. Shot.

Typical Flyers lol. Gotta love em.

Anybody still thinking Jake's contract is a bad one??!!!! There were quite a few naysayers out there ..
    Last edited by phillyphan4evr; 01-27-2016 at 10:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast