Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

IGT: Philadelphia Flyers at Florida Panthers

Time: 7:30pm
    Place: BB&T Center

News & Notes:

- Panthers are coming off a 3-2 SO win against NYR on Sunday
    - Nick Bjugstad is set to make his season debut for the Panthers tonight
    - Advanced stats darling Jonathan Marchessault leads the team in scoring with 15 points
    - Flyers are coming off of a 3-0 loss to TB on Saturday, their first shutout loss of the season
    - Flyers are getting outscored 36-45 at even strength this season (Flyers have 7th most ES goals but have given up the most ES goals)
    - Jake Voracek and Claude Giroux are tied for the team lead in scoring with 17 points

AMac replaces MDZ in the lineup tonight.

Can't say this was entirely unexpected. MDZ is driving play at a high rate but he's giving up a lot and blowing coverage more often than he should.

Not saying he should sit; he shouldn't, especially for AMac. But it makes at least some sense.

Any word on who is starting in net tonight?

Mason starting tonight.

Great shot by Simmonds and great spacing by konecny. He allowed that 2 on 1 to not get bunched.

Simmer is flying so far. Take some notes and shoot once in a while on a 2 on 1. So used to the Flyers not even getting a shot on net on an odd man rush, nice to see someone actually hit the net and score.

Well F..K. If Couts is hurt, wave the white flag now. Didn't look good.

Any update on Couturier?

Forecheck strong in the 3rd.

Nice W. Mase played well. Be tough but it would be great if they could find a way to pull off another one tomorrow. 2 W`s on the road would be huge to get some momentum going.

Nice win. Mason and Simmonds were outstanding, really carried the team IMO. Flyers got shelled at 5v5 in the 1st but did a pretty good job keeping the rest of the game pretty tight while they had the lead. Didn't give up many quality chances.

All that said, it's going to be real bitter sweet if it means we're gonna be without Couts for the foreseeable future. He didn't go to the hospital, which is a good sign, but I'd be lying if I told you my heart didn't drop seeing him not be able to get off the ice on his own.

Fingers crossed that he isn't out long term. We all know how drastically different this team looks without him.

BREAKING: early word on Couturier is a sprained MCL. Depending on the severity he could miss anywhere from 2 weeks to multiple months. He is flying back to Philadelphia tomorrow to be properly examined.

Hextall said all options are open at this point and he will likely call someone up.

I wouldn't be surprised if he has the same timetable as Neuvirth, meaning 4-6 weeks.

This sucks. Plain and simple. Flyers are gonna have to suck it up and do their best.

Where's txravis, he's gonna like one of my suggestions.

I would try either of these things:

1) Call up Laughton, move Raffl to 2C

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek

Konecny-Raffl-Simmonds

VandeVelde-Bellemare-Read

Laughton-Cousins-Weise (recall this was a line Hakstol tried in camp and preseason)

Raffl is the closest comparable to Couturier the Flyers have in terms of being a 2 way player and play driver. Having him as the 2C might be the most seamless transition you can make.

2) Call up Weal

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek

Konecny-Weal-Simmonds

Raffl-Bellemare-Read

VandeVelde-Cousins-Weise

I'm not convinced he's an NHLer, but this may be the best chance they have to see if he is. Call Weal up, stick him in a scoring role, see how he does. You're downgrading significantly any way you slice it, maybe you give Weal a shot given how well he's played to date in the AHL.

3) Raffl to 2C, call up McDonald, put Lyubimov in

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek

Konecny-Raffl-Simmonds

Lyubimov-Bellemare-Read

VandeVelde-Cousins-Weise

This is probably my favorite option. Again, Raffl is the closest thing to Couts you have on this team. Lyubimov draws back in and you don't have too huge of a drop off from Raffl to him so long as Lyubimov continues to drive play the way he has to date. And you call up McDonald to be a good soldier and sit in the press box. Phantoms won't miss him too much and this way you don't force a young kid from the Phantoms to sit in the press box when he should be playing and developing.

So I would personally go with option #3, which likely means it will be something completely different.

These aren't their ONLY options, just what I would consider personally. I'm sure they'll consider Cousins and Schenn for the 2C role as well.
    Last edited by phillyeaglesman; 11-22-2016 at 11:33 PM.

Schenn wouldn't be a bad option but I hate seeing him change positions so much.

Id go option 1
    you can Interchange Schenn and Raffl

I'd try Cousins 1st. Don't really have a whole lot of interest in seeing Weal out there. Leaves the question of what do you do with the 4th line. Lyubimov should be in the lineup plain and simple, but Weise will probably continue to be force fed into the lineup. Perfect opportunity to recall Laughton and see if he can lock down a bottom 6 role.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast