Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Erik Bedard... as a closer

Are there ways and specific stats to look at when projecting a starter as a potential closer?

I was thinking about it a second ago when I was looking at Bedard's last three years. This is a guy, to me, who would be a top five pitcher year in and year out if it weren't for injuries. He's a FA this year and I think he'll be vastly underpaid, and his injury problems make me believe that maybe he'd be best suited as a closer.

The last three years, in limited time, the guy's average BABIP is around .290. He's good for a K-Rate over 9 per 9 IP and has some control issues but nothing ridiculous.

Thoughts on this proposal?

vCash
    My friend and I had dinner with him once, the guy pounded down beers like there was no tomorrow.

Anyways, I don't think it would make sense to put him in a closer role. Keep him healthy and he is a very, very solid pitcher.
    Last edited by nymetsrule; 08-11-2009 at 02:23 PM.

vCash
    I think people think ever since the Kerry Wood transition, that this whole oft injured starters becoming closer thing is a good idea. I'm not saying it isn't I'd just like to some other examples first
    Thanks JO-MO

vCash
    He'd probably be good in that role, but I think he would rather be a SP. And teams will show interest in him as a SP. Kerry Wood was moved somewhat out of necessity. He had a lot more miles on his body too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chicagofan71 View Post
    I think people think ever since the Kerry Wood transition, that this whole oft injured starters becoming closer thing is a good idea. I'm not saying it isn't I'd just like to some other examples first
    Want a good example. Mariano Rivera, the best closer of all time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bosox3431 View Post
    Not a very good example. He was a starter in the minors, and did get hurt, but his move to the bullpen was not the result of him being oft injured. From what I can see, he had one significant injury in the minors, unlike Wood who was injured a **** load
    Thanks JO-MO

vCash
    There are lots of arguments like this one. Joba Chamberlain. Dustin McGowan. Jonathan Papelbon. Brett Cecil. And so on and so on and I have another one I might bring up at another time.

McGowan is now done because of injuries basically with the Jays. Joba has finally transitioned into a starter it seems with his recent hot streaks, Papelbon is one of the best closers in baseball as they went the closer route with him. Brett Cecil has been strong in the Jays minor league system even though I thought he would have been a great closer already in the major leagues being drafted like 2 years ago.

I think Bedard would be fantastic as a closer but the opportunity to have him do that as a starter is probably too much to pass up for any team. That was the argument with Joba and Cecil that I got from everyone.

I've got another one but maybe I will post it later to not steal your thunder driven lol.

vCash
    Not a very good example. He was a starter in the minors, and did get hurt, but his move to the bullpen was not the result of him being oft injured. From what I can see, he had one significant injury in the minors, unlike Wood who was injured a **** load
    My bad, just going by what I had always heard.

Nothing to do with this really, but this makes ya think

As a 25-year-old rookie with prior major arm surgery, Rivera's role on the team was not guaranteed. Yankees management once considered trading Rivera to the Detroit Tigers for David Wells, but Yankees general manager Gene Michael quickly called off negotiations when he learned that Rivera had begun to throw at 9596 MPH in one of his starts, six MPH faster than his previous average velocity. Rivera attributes his inexplicable improvement to God

vCash
    God? That's a funny way to spell "steroids."

Just kidding.

vCash
    I'd rather not waste Bedard in meaningless low leverage situations like the ninth with a 3 run lead so I'd say keep him a starter. But I'm crazy like that.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    I'd rather not waste Bedard in meaningless low leverage situations like the ninth with a 3 run lead so I'd say keep him a starter. But I'm crazy like that.
    That was my initial reaction. If you were to use him as a relief ace and/or for multiple innings, he could be valuable. But could he make that transition? Maybe he'd be even more susceptible to injury if he had to pitch several times per week, even with fewer innings.

vCash
    That's what I was thinking. I'd have to think it'd be less stressful to pitch once every 5 games vs 3-4 times a week even if he's pitching less overall innings.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bosox3431 View Post
    Mo had TJ surgery. But he sucked as a starter. Didn't have the secondary stuff to compete.

vCash
    I agree that Bedard is more valuable as a starter, but if he's only good for 80 IP a season, I think he could extend his career by becoming a closer.

With that said, someone's going to get a Hell of a starting pitcher for cheap this offseason.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Driven View Post
    I agree that Bedard is more valuable as a starter, but if he's only good for 80 IP a season, I think he could extend his career by becoming a closer.

With that said, someone's going to get a Hell of a starting pitcher for cheap this offseason.
    I don't know how cheap he'll actually be. But if he is, it's a shame the Phillies already have like 47 lefties on the roster. I'd definitely take him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast