Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who would you rather have for the next 20ish years?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mike Trout

13 81.25%
  • Bryce Harper

3 18.75%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Annual Debate: Trout vs Harper

If you could have one player for the entire rest of their careers, contracts equal, and they will both play until they are 40.

Which player would you rather have?

Trout might as well be the perfect player, he is above average at every thing (except maybe arm, and that's an over-rated asset in the outfield any way). But he lacks elite power like Harper has the ability to have.

Harper has the better tools, and is a touch younger and he might have more upside.

Who would you rather have for the next 20ish years?

Trout.

Said the same last year.

Trout. I like Harper but I don't see him putting up a 10 win season.

I don't really see how someone could say Harper at this point. I feel like Trout will go down as one of the greatest to ever play.

I also think Trout's bat speed makes up for his lack of raw power, and he's so fast, it will take a long time until his BABIP doesn't carry a high BA

Trout.

Trout

Mike Trout
    With the deepest of regrets I am announcing that I will be leaving Pro Sports Daily. No reason in particular but wanted to thank everyone for a great 6 years here. Lots of great discussion and good poll series as well. Also fun re-drafts. Best of luck to you all in the future.

Harper... I believe he will become a better hitter in the future and his body is built for baseball unlike Trout who is too bulky and will eventually get injured often.

Obviously Mike Trout. Is this really even a question? Why would this even be a poll

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    If you could have one player for the entire rest of their careers, contracts equal, and they will both play until they are 40.

Which player would you rather have?

Trout might as well be the perfect player, he is above average at every thing (except maybe arm, and that's an over-rated asset in the outfield any way). But he lacks elite power like Harper has the ability to have.

Harper has the better tools, and is a touch younger and he might have more upside.

Who would you rather have for the next 20ish years?
    No. Harper is overrated. So is every young player that comes out of the Nats for some reason.

He'll be good, but he'll never touch anything near what Trout does, and it's foolish to expect him to IMO.

Id say trout is overated he's a 4 tool player who wasn't even the best CF on his team last year, he's gonna strike out 130 times a year he will not produce with men on base 21/30 of his HR last year were solo shots he didn't have an outfield assist last year,and I get he is the best young player today but he hasn't even had the best rookie seasons this century much less all time, lets not put him in the hall just yet. MLB is lacking star power and because of that I feel they are trying to shove trout down our throat....is Trouts 2012 better than A-Rod in 96? Is it better than Pujols in 01? I honestly belive Trout will be a comet in the sky who people talk about like they talk about Bo Jackson, or Grady Sizemore in terms of talent that never fully materialized.

Quote Originally Posted by ztilzer31 View Post
    No. Harper is overrated. So is every young player that comes out of the Nats for some reason.

He'll be good, but he'll never touch anything near what Trout does, and it's foolish to expect him to IMO.
    I think a lot of people don't realize how special Harper has already been.

If it wasn't for trout, he would be considered the best young player in decades. He has produced very well already

Quote Originally Posted by TheQueensKid View Post
    Id say trout is overated
    We have never seen a player this good, this young, ever in baseball history.

There isn't much to say to call him over-rated, we have never seen 20 WAR by a player who couldn't even legally drink yet.

he's a 4 tool player who wasn't even the best CF on his team last year,
    Tools don't necessarily translate into production in baseball, that said, it's not his fault that the best defensive center fielder in the game was on his roster with him.

he's gonna strike out 130 times a year
    We learned in the 1920's when Babe Ruth came along that striking out that much doesn't matter.

he will not produce with men on base 21/30 of his HR last year were solo shots
    Then tell Soch to bat him cleanup.

He hits second, not many guys on base for the 2 hitter.

He has a .914 OPS with men on base in his career (16th best in baseball in that time), and a .944 OPS with RISP in his career.

He can't help when other players in front of him don't get on base, but he is plenty productive when men are on base.

he didn't have an outfield assist last year,
    You don't have to have outfield assists to be a good outfielder

But he already has one this year

http://m.mlb.com/video/v31832917/mus...late/?c_id=mlb

Arm looks fine.

and I get he is the best young player today but he hasn't even had the best rookie seasons this century much less all time,
    What?

Of course he has.

That was the single best rookie season of all time, by a huge margin too.

Second best ever was Joe Jackson's 1911, and he was almost 2 wins worse...Ichiro's was 3 wins worse.

lets not put him in the hall just yet. MLB is lacking star power and because of that I feel they are trying to shove trout down our throat
    No, it's because Trout is the best young player the game has seen quite possibly ever.

....is Trouts 2012 better than A-Rod in 96?
    Well, A-Rod wasn't a rookie in 96, but both were 20 yes.

And yes, Trout's season was a little better

168 OPS+ to 161 OPS+, 10.9 rWAR to 9.4. It was a tick better.

Is it better than Pujols in 01?
    I'm a huge Pujols fan, and yes, it was easily better than Pujols' 01

I honestly belive Trout will be a comet in the sky who people talk about like they talk about Bo Jackson, or Grady Sizemore in terms of talent that never fully materialized.
    Jackson nor Sizemore were ever anywhere close to this good.

Trout actually produces. He isn't just a raw talent, he produces

Through the age of 21, Trout has 20.3 rWAR

Mel Ott is second on this list with 17.9, then Cobb, Kaline, and Griffey are in the 15's

Trout just needs a 4 WAR season to have the greatest rWAR through the age of 22, passing Cobb and Ted Williams when Williams hit .400

Trout is materialized....he's the best we've ever seen this young.

Trout's rookie season was the 8th best rWAR season of the Expansion Era and the best since Bonds' 02

He's incredibly special, and his contact rates are improving, which is scary.
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 04-22-2014 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BadBrains View Post
    Obviously Mike Trout. Is this really even a question? Why would this even be a poll
    Because they are the two best young players in the game, it's an annual discussion basically at this point.

Trout is the better player right now, but Harper has the tools to be even better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast